EXTRA EXTRA, Read All About it! HBO MAX Cancel Batman: Caped Crusader!

*deep, shuddering sigh *

6 Likes

I hate that it’s not coming to HBO Max because that would be too convenient, wouldn’t it? All the DC stuff in one place, huh? Not a good business model to make us run around looking at other sites to find the same brand of content. I burn out of having too many subscriptions, I like things that are streamlined.

10 Likes

I was really, really looking forward to this series. It was set to highlight my most fave era of B’Man’s legacy and I was really looking forward to Bruce Timm being in the supervisory seat of an animated series once again (along with him being there to keep Abrams focused and under control).

IKR? :angry:

10 Likes

How accurate is TVLine? I’ve never heard of it until now.

5 Likes

Same here, I was looking for the ‘other’ source to back up the proof I saw from a news on Facebook. So that’s how I found tvline news when Googling the story.

5 Likes

all articles so far are just referencing TVLine, so I can’t tell

5 Likes

True
that didn’t come across mind​:sweat_smile:. Maybe Netflix may go for it with the positivity Sandman has gotten they may want another DC property to air. Or Fox/ FXX like you mentioned. Hopefully something can pick these up.

4 Likes

I think it will be on cartoon network from what I hear zaz is pretty anti streaming anything
at all because people just pay for what they want to see then unsub so anything good he wants on tv or buy to watch like prime but it makes me think it will get delayed which is a real bummer he will not be making anything for streaming platforms instead everything will be on tv first

5 Likes

They’re generally pretty accurate w/ scoops like this, unfortunately so in this case. I’d put them just below THR, Deadline and Variety in terms of reliability

5 Likes
7 Likes

So with Batman and other cartoons being shopped to other streamers, I wonder if they’ll still air on Cartoon Network for their cable broadcasts or if those plans have been axed as well!?

Would be kinda crazy if the new Batman cartoon ended up on say Nick instead of CN.

6 Likes

And we have Borys Kit, who’s a pretty reliable journalist for the Hollywood Reporter, saying this:

10 Likes

That’s good to hear. I’m certainly grateful that it looks like we’ll still get to see it somewhere, but it still makes WB/HBO Max looks worse, though admittedly not by as much as most of their other recent big moves

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s the weird thing about it – like, okay, apparently Zazlov has a thing about movies being put on streaming, fine, whatever, but who looks at a product like Caped Crusader and say “No, this Batman cartoon series should not go to our streaming service, the home of all things Batman?”

9 Likes

Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, and soooooo many countless other talented people whose work I was REALLY looking forward to seeing

7 Likes

Agreed. Glad to know it and the other projects should eventually be released somewhere, but honestly still kind of bummed at all the animation cuts at HBOMAX, i subscribed to the service for the cartoons and DC stuff. So yeah with all this news coming out i’ll probably unsubscribe if they really are determined to purge most of their animation.

Plus with the Discovery+ merge coming in 2023, that’s even more of a reason to jump ship. I don’t wanna pay for a bunch of reality TV! Bleh!

7 Likes

Exactly. It makes perfect sense for as many DC properties to be under 1 roof. I get that’s not always gonna be possible given existing licensing agreements on older properties, but there’s no excuse for the new stuff like this

7 Likes

@Jay_Kay

And we have Borys Kit, who’s a pretty reliable journalist for the Hollywood Reporter, saying this:

And the positive in that is that anyone will be able to watch it for free (which of course they were always going to be able to do anyway, but still… ).

And I guess “free” as in via your cable provider or whatever.

Or like The Sandman, I guess they could license it to Netflix if they want it – and then you’ll have to pay Netflix in order to watch it.

The Warner Bros. Discovery team is also not precious about the content it produces, as Zaslav declared that the company will happily sell it to the highest bidder, unlike rivals that have increasingly kept their content for themselves and their streaming services. “What is critical to us, we are going to keep that exclusively,” he said, seemingly speaking to the company’s original content as well as its big franchises, such as Harry Potter. But content that “could be non­exclusive and have no impact on us, we want to monetize that to drive economic value.”

The Hollywood Reporter

So what they really want they’ll keep, and anything else… make us an offer.

4 Likes

Ever since HBO Max cancel Aquaman cartoon and other shows, it makes me wonder if Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated series, Scooby-Doo and Looney Tunes are safe? If not I really hope they move those DC shows to Boomerang, where I’m at now, I’m losing my respect for both HBO Max & those behind the streaming service.
Better yet, it’s a wishful thinking, it be great if they bring videos streaming service back to DC Universe.

6 Likes

Variety and AV Club are confirming:

It’s hard to imagine any other shingle would be willing to shell out the cash in order to take on a series that Zaslav has all but deemed a losing effort via his very public cancellations of this series and other properties over the past few weeks.

6 Likes