Doom Patrol S2, E3 Reaction Thread - 🚨 WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD 🚨

If the solution were just about getting himself a job, why hasn’t he already done that himself?

Oh my goodness, do I need to explain the world to you now? And where the poor place in this world? Like you can’t be this sheltered from what’s going on in the world right? right?

1 Like

Lol, don’t get condescending. This is a discussion.

The point is it’s not as simple a solution as you’re making it out to be. I side more with Cyborg in this scenario, because just letting the kid go and run free is not likely to induce any change whatsoever. It’s just putting more victims at risk. If Ronni (I don’t remember if that’s actually her name) decided to suddenly invest in this kid’s life and mentor him so that he gets on the right path, then I’d agree with you that he shouldn’t receive legal punishment. But her being so adamant for him to run free with no consequences at all was more irresponsible than anything.

1 Like

It’s not condescension, it’s literal shock. I just can’t believe anyone other than the rich kids wouldn’t know how this ■■■■ works. The system is messed up and makes people worse, not better. So the options were:

1. The best option of helping the kid which is what superheroes do.
  2. Letting him go because petty crimes are still not as bad as what he would become after prison.
  3. Sending him to a prison industrial complex that benefits from more people in jail and continues haunting them for the rest of their lives no matter how much they try to be better so out of desperation they end up becoming much worse.

I would say do your research more on the broken system of the US.

1 Like

Cool, so don’t act like you know more about the world. :+1:

Your argument is based on worst-case scenarios. Is the system perfect? Nope, not even close. But does it turn every person who’s part of it into a felonious criminal? Again, not even close. Now let’s look at those three options you laid out.

1. Helping the kid. What exactly does this mean? I’m assuming you mean investing in his life and mentoring him so that he gets off that path by his own volition. This is indeed the best choice for this one kid, but what about all the other muggers and petty criminals out there? How can they possibly help all of them without bothering to mete out consequences?

2. That’s not how the law works. But I do believe that laws should be interpreted with discretion. So if the law said that mugging is punishable by jail time, I wouldn’t be mad if Cyborg decided on some other type of punishment that kept the kid away from jail. But there needs to be SOME punishment. If the kid is able to walk away with no consequence whatsoever, then nothing’s stopping him from thinking “I can’t believe how lucky I just got. Now I know to do my muggings away from that area where those superheroes won’t catch me.”

3. Again, worst case scenario. Not every person who’s been in prison is defined by their ex-convict status.

They are actually. There is a box that says tick if you have committed any felonies and poof go your chances of finding a decent job except for the kindness of a few bosses that are hard to find. And one way to help kids is a systemic change or helping out a group. Investing in the neighbourhoods and diverting the attention of kids away from these bad things. Hell having connections to people that do these sorts of things should be pretty easy for any superhero, let alone Cyborg, the walking talking database. And punishment doesn’t work. Rehabilitation does. Studies around the world have shown that rehabilitation far exceeds any punishment. The kid wasn’t a life-threatening risk to the community and guiding him to the right people is what’s right. There shouldn’t be a punishment first. The punishment should come after rehabilitation efforts. I’m not just saying that either, you can look up studies around the world on the best form of justice to realise this. Prisons in good countries are those rehabilitation centres. In the US, there is a for-profit system and for a black kid in the US especially, prisons can be life-destroying. It’s like gambling on a kid’s life whether he is treated fairly in the system or not. It’s not condescension if you have the data and done the research. Condescension is people thinking they know better than experts who have worked for years or even decades on the problems discussed based purely on their own personal beliefs whether reality matches up with them or not.

1 Like

“Punishment” was the wrong word for me to use. Replace it with “consequence.” There needs to be SOME sort of consequence.

Rehabilitation is a consequence.

I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re not making a passive-aggressive jab here. :slight_smile: