Doom Patrol Ep. #8 "Danny Patrol" Discussion Thread: Spoiler Zone! šŸšØ

This episode really displayed the beautiful aspect of community that is within Danny The Street. Having watched this after, I realized that while visiting my cousins in Colorado this weekend, I had my own Dannyzen moment. I was freaking out, all alone, having a panic attack in the middle of unfamiliar downtown Denver. Iā€™d been ditched, and then I was rained on for a good while and my ride wasnā€™t answering the phone, and I like lost like a 4th of my eyebrow from stress, but in my moment of need, just like Danny The Street would do, I had a group of phenomenally nice queer people pick me up and give me drinks and offered to take me back to their party house to watch musicals. It was really beautiful, and watching Danny Patrol thatā€™s all I could think of, is just how beautifully kind people can be, even when life is crashing down all around you. They did a phenomenal job at displaying the best of what a community of outcasts could be and how wonderfully it can affect someoneā€™s life. Which to me is what Danny has always been about. So thank you to all those that worked on this episode, and thank you DC Universe for reminding me that people can be beautiful.

10 Likes

I loved how we got to see many different types of people all coming together to be a community that uplifts each other. We got to see LGBTQ+ characters living their best lives, but the streets of Danny were also filled with older people, people of all races, ages, people with physical disabilities, etc. It was such a touching episode in that regard.

The Jane/Karen stuff felt more like a setup for the next episode, which looks incredible. Now we know at least one of the lives Jane lives when she leaves the Manor from time to time. Karen taking advantage of Doug like that is scary.

Robotman dancing with the boy in the robot suit was adorable. The best part of the episode was Larry singing Kelly Clarksonā€™s song! The funniest was Larry imagining what heā€™d sound like singing vs what he actually sounds like. I really am intrigued to know how Larry got from being captive to living with the Doom Patrol.

10 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that we get Flex Mentallo out of this, as we did in the comics.

3 Likes

I was excited about seeing Danny The Street but also pretty apprehensive about how a live action show waa going to handle a crossdressing, sentient street. I was not disappointed in the least! First of all, modernizing Danny and making them a genderqueer, nonbinary street who uses they/them pronouns was brilliant. Iā€™m not ashamed to admit I cried during this episode. Several times. Mostly tears of joy. The validation of being outside of gender norms, the embracing all those who have ā€œslipped through the cracks.ā€ Not just LGBTQI+, but anyone who is outcast and shunned from society for not being ā€œnormal.ā€ To me, this is what Doom Patrol has always been about. Itā€™s not about capes & cowls or superpowers, itā€™s about reluctant heroes doing the right thing, saving the day. Even when people donā€™t appreciate them . Itā€™s about outcasts finding family, finding community within each other. Grant Morrison got it. Rachael Pollack got it. And the showrunners and writers for Doom Patrol get it.

12 Likes

And Mora Lee Corruptā€™s speech at the end was so incredibly powerful.

9 Likes

Nu52, I thought it was sad that Larry imagined himself singing, but wouldnā€™t because he feels like a monster. It was nice to see he came around at the end.

7 Likes

Iā€™d love to see DC release a purchasable track of the song ā€œPeople Like Usā€ from that episode. It was really well done and think it could bring some more awareness to the awesome show that is Doom Patrol and Iā€™d be the first to purchase the track. Such an awesome cover.

6 Likes

Love the episode as I do every other episodes so far but Iā€™m officially sick and tired of Hammerhead. Sheā€™s such a b**** and treats everyone like shit for any little thing!

2 Likes

Great series. Agreed though on DCā€™s version of Legion (way to go Marvel in being first for one for the few timesā€¦). Need to tone her down a bit somehow?

1 Like

***being first for once ā€¦

@spinyoga.74706 I agree. Watertower Music (WB) should release it on their YouTube channel at least like they do with their other TV shows.

@movieaddict It was sad when I realized he was just imagining it, but hearing him sing badly at the end, going all out, made it all the more special.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t tone her down much as thatā€™s the personality but Iā€™d use her less and have Jane be on better terms with everyone again. Jane is currently upset with Cliff and so when Hamerhead comes out, itā€™s just an extension than a whole different persona like it should be. I mean Jane and her did fight about Chief and they were different but right now Jane and all other personalities are pissed at everyone and especially cliff or jane

2 Likes

loveeeeee the episode who agrees that jane is really pretty lol

4 Likes

Another Fantastic episode. The debut of Danny the Sentient Street was so good. Also Crazy Janeā€™s personality is always scary, and Seeing Negative Man in action during the Flashbacks when Larry was a prisoner at the Bureau of Normalcy was quite amazing. I hope we get to see more of that action in the present with Negative Man. I will give it a 9/10.

3 Likes

Yesterdayā€™s episode was another good one which was a nice character study especially with Crazy Jane. Seeing her new multiple personality manifesting especially a psycho ex-girl friend was funny but at the same time scary. Her performance reminded me of Sandra Bullock from All about Steve with her being all out crazy. Karenā€™s personality really took a strong hold and just didnā€™t let go. Then seeing her going into a limbo where she gets trapped in her own mind. Now Jane trapped in mental prison within her mind looks like a challenge that she has to somehow overcome. Then more of Larry Trainorā€™s backstory during his time as a prisoner at the Bureau of Normalcy and what he endured was unfair. The Bureau of Normalcy is definitely going to be a recurring villain that will show-up and they have set their sights on the Doom Patrol. But I have to say the debut of Danny The Street a sentient town that can go anywhere if it senses a threat was amazing. The purpose of the town and what they do by protecting wayward outcasts, who feel they wonā€™t be accepted in the real world was nicely shown in this episode.The world of Doom Patrol is expanding so nicely. They are really bringing every single aspect of the comic storyline to life

3 Likes

So I basically joined DCUniverse just for this show and was holding my judgement until this episode. Danny the street has always been a personal favorite character and I was only going to be happy if they made Danny right. I am happy to say they did a near perfect job with Danny and I am officially enjoying the seriesā€¦now if they give me my favorite crazy Jane persona, Driver 8, next week I might be in love.

7 Likes

I loved Danny street soo much.

3 Likes

Such a great episode

3 Likes

Really not liking Doom Patrol canā€™t wait for Swamp Thing to save me from this.

Love the show, and agree with most of the comments above. Just wanted to add that although it wasnā€™t one of ā€œhis episodesā€, Cyborgā€™s action and interaction with other folks in this episode felt more real, and makes the character a little more likable.

7 Likes