Doom Patrol Ep. #12 “Cyborg Patrol” Discussion Thread: Spoiler Zone! 🚨

WARNING:
The following post contains SPOILERS for the Doom Patrol Episode “Cyborg Patrol.”

It was a good episode and now fully cements Cyborg as part of the team but also as the one with the most heavily weighted personal vendetta against Mr. Nobody.

However, I am thoroughly convinced that the actor playing Cyborg, couldn’t act his way out of a paper bag.

The scenario:

1. You just saw your father die in front of you.
  2. YOU were the one that took your own fathers life.
  3. Mr. Nobody manipulated you into killing your father.
  4. You discover that your father really did love you, did everything in his power to save you and would do even more if he had to.

Cyborg’s reaction:
He’s barely able to shed a few tears as he tells his dead dad to wake up a few times while holding him.

I’m sorry but his pain, anger, frustration and guilt was pathetically conveyed by the actor.
I imagine a real person, or “cyborg,” would be a crying, slobbering, angry, incoherent mess of a human being given the circumstances and revelations.

If it were me?
I would have had Cyborg instead just kneel down, with a blank expression on his face and tears streaming down.
He would then activate his hand cannon, putting it to his head while charging it up.
Then Cliff or someone would run in and wrestle him for control of his cannon and have it go off and hit the ceiling or something.

This could seriously be this kids ONE and only shot to define his career as an actor.
Drawing attention to himself and the show by putting his acting chops on display through heartfelt, real-world emotional connections with the audience, week after week after week.
Instead all I see is this kid acting his way out of a job; week after week he gains increasingly more potential to ruin a good show.

Anyone else feel me on this or am I just crazy?

6 Likes

I love Cyborg in Doom Patrol . The show is a million times better with him in it and if he doesn’t cross over to Titans or another show I hope they keep him because he’s been my favorite character and I love his sub-plot . My other two favorites are Cliff and Larry but Vic takes the cake for me .

3 Likes

What

This was a rollercoaster of an episode. I was hoping they would have had a plan, but I kinda fell for the “oh shit they got caught.” I was hoping there would be an “Earlier that day” and when there was, I was all “Fuck yeah, I knew it, Doom Patrol for the win!” And then the Vic/Silas thing happens and it’s “OH SHIT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO” AND THEN!!! AND THEN there’s Mister Nobody, after all this crazy ride of an episode and it’s like “#($%#)@$%)$#@)@#($@!&)%#@)$@($&%@&!%)$@($()^$&^$#)%@#)$@!)$#(&%%)@#)@!$(%#)@^$#^#)%@)($!@)$(@^##$(%)#$@)!@(#%)#@(@%)#^%@)#!)@($!)@%(#@#)^@$#)^(@!#%(@^@$)^%)^)#$(^@)(%$!@($!@($!(%#)$^$&_^*&@+)@#” Just a string of expletives and things I’m not proud of having said. Sorry, Mom.

This episode rocked. Way to go, Doom Patrol.

2 Likes

@grevin I somewhat agree. I agree when you say he didn’t convey the pain that cyborg should have felt. After all he just straight up killed his dad. However, look at this scene from a different perspective. Maybe the actor was trying to portray shock, the kind where you’re so surprised, you can’t even cry. Plus, does cyborg even have tear ducts? Anyway, great episode

5 Likes

Loved the Dr. Strangelove set. Is there a room like this in the Pentagon? Just curious. Here’s my dog Chama as Dr. Strangelove and how I learned to love the bomb.

2 Likes

About 15 minutes in, Grid took control of my Google Assistant, for real. They kept talking to each other and I paused the show to stop them before something serious happened.

4 Likes

This was an amazing episode, and I feel this way after seeing any episode of this show. Although the focus steered away from Chief’s secret, it was an amazing episode that showed Mr.Nobody breaking probably the strongest member of the Doom Patrol without breaking a sweat. Can’t wait for Flex Patrol and the two final episodes

What was the deal with the butts? Someome said they have to keep them happy?

3 Likes

It’s their sworn duty to please that booty

8 Likes

It’s obvious 722 will turn out to be Flex Mentallo, going by the fact he could hear Grid. I’m just wondering if Cyborg will put the chip in that his father designed. Also, did anyone get a bit of a giggle out of Karen showing up? I’d figured it would be Katy burning through the duct tape instead.

Side note: I’d forgotten how truly awesome Ace of Base is, I loved them in the mid-90’s!!

4 Likes

Cried so much at the end

3 Likes

@rmanning2020
I’m wondering the same thing. Dc should post an Easter egg article in a few days on the news section so I’m keeping my eye out for that

2 Likes

Another great episode, tho we all suspected that Mr Nobody was behind Vic’s paranoia but that end was still crushing.

5 Likes

@daisydemonfanny Ace of Base IS good, we’re right and Jane is wrong

3 Likes

I watched many commercials featuring DOOM PATROL , so I downloaded the app. I was disappointed. The story lines are depressing & stupid. I was expecting to be taken to a futuristic fantasy world. Instead, I was subjected to foul language, flash backs of a characters child molestation, and watched another characters struggle with his homosexuality. I’m subjected to people’s heartaches everyday. Who wants to watch it on my free time (for a monthly fee)? If DC Universe wants to preach there social justice crap, they can do it without me & my monthly fee. I want to be entertained. I don’t want to walk away feeling horrible.

Maybe it’s just not for you? Its extremely faithful to the comics.

16 Likes

I’ve said elsewhere that Doom Patrol may be one of the most faithful comics adaptations ever… but it’s tracking a Grant Morrison book so be careful what you wish for.

5 Likes

@minimuffin the show isnt for you and if you bought an app based off your expectations of a show based on a comic you could research you got no one to blame but yourself.

7 Likes

@minimuffen
To be fair, the show is rated TV-MA, so you were given a fair warning, and DC Universe has a free trial period so you didn’t even need to pay to check it out. Also, DC Universe has many other shows and comics on here that are “entertaining” (which many people suggested in the thread you created).

8 Likes