Do You Call Billy Batson Captain Marvel or Shazam?

I’m old school so I call him Captain Marvel…
Unless I talk to a young fan.

However, the weakness he had of being unable to say Shazam without changing back was hurtful to the character.

2 Likes

honestly Freddy shouldve just said Shazam like Black adam and captain marvel, never got the point of him saying Captain Marvel.

2 Likes

fair point, I havent seen the movie nor do I plan to but I read the comics so I’m use to call him Captain Marvel.

2 Likes

he is? I notcied in the new comics he’s called Shazam.

2 Likes

again, Billy has to mean it when he wants to transform. If he doesnt mean it Shazam won’t do anything.

1 Like

I call him “the artist formerly known as Captain Marvel.”

3 Likes

He was always Capt. Marvel to me and it was the Wizard Shazam.

2 Likes

He is and always will be Captain Marvel

2 Likes

Captain Marvel for sure.

2 Likes

Captain Marvel, he was the first Captain Marvel to me and will always will know him by that name.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I started reading when he was named Captain Marvel. So Captain Marvel he will always be. I never understood why the magical word was his name anyway.

2 Likes

Well it might be a drag if he’s ever brought up in a conversations.

1 Like

Exactly, wouldn’t the wizard feel weird that he has to share his name

1 Like

damn right, and aren’t you the guy who takes pictures of Spidey-man?

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t get it, shazam is already the wizard and black adam doesn’t call himself shazam.

1 Like

Cool I did not know that. Either way he didn’t call himself shazam so why should billy?

2 Likes

I treat Captain Marvel and SHAZAM! as three separate characters (well, there are 5 or 6 CMs but that’s not what you meant). There was the really old one. There was the best version (curse you Flashpoint!) and there is the new one. The new one is SHAZAM!, the old one was CM, the best one started as CM but got promoted to Shazam (Curse you Flashpoint!). The old one were two different people that would swap places when they said “Shazam!” the new one turns into a superpowered adult when he says “SHAZAM!” the best one used to turn into a superpowered adult when he said “Shazam” but then things got wierd and he is Shazam, (not sure what he said then actually…) (Curse you Flashpoint!) Also, NML was a thing about the same time he went from CM to Shazam (Curse you FLashpoint!)

(Also, do I need a period at the end of a sentence with “SHAZAM!”? See! Like there.)

2 Likes

When I talk to people I call him Billy Batson. In my head I call him Captain Marvel.

3 Likes

I call HIM Captain Marvel. I call the book SHAZAM!

3 Likes

To me Shazam/Captain Marvel/Billy mean different things. Shazam is the word that triggers his transformations, as well as the name of the book, Captain Marvel is what people and DC characters call him by as a hero name (which makes sense), and Billy is… well, Billy as himself.

2 Likes