Do You Call Billy Batson Captain Marvel or Shazam?

I still call Billy Captain marvel because shazam doesn’t really sound as cool plus Billy was the first to use that name, when i talk about him, casual fans think im talking about marvels when i mean dc’s(Fawcett). So what do you call him?

11 Likes

I just use Billy Batson. If we need to go with a superhero name it’s still Capt. Marvel to me as well. Shazam is the wizard.

I wish the other company would have Carol go back to being Ms. Marvel but that is unlikely to ever happen at this point especially after the film now.

6 Likes

I generally just use “Billy” when referring to the character, followed by “Captain Marvel/Shazam” just to specify which version I’m talking about

5 Likes

Billy Batson was, is, and always will be Captain Marvel!

7 Likes

Yep, I call him Billy Batson. If I say Captain Marvel people might think of the other publisher’s heroes. If I say Shazam they might think of the wizard. So I say “Billy Batson,” and when I need to talk about the wizard, I say “The Wizard Shazam.”

3 Likes

What I don’t understand is, when he goes by Shazam, how does he tell others his hero name without transforming?

8 Likes

In current comics he has to want to transform and say it like he means it, so he can call himself shazam without transforming.

7 Likes

I do catch myself calling him Captain Marvel and I don’t really correct myself, cause he doesn’t have a suitable thing to call him otherwise. I get that it’s a copyright thing, but DC as some of the best writers around, and they can’t come up with anything?

4 Likes

Well this is unexpected, everyone calls him Billy batson.

4 Likes

I call him Shazam…

4 Likes

Captain Marvel, always.

4 Likes

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t just re-named him “Captain Thunder” post-reboot, considering it has a surprisingly storied history within the franchise. Among other things, Captain Thunder was:

1. The name used by a Captain Marvel homage/expy to fight Superman in a story from the 70s by Elliot S! Maggin, 2) The name Roy Thomas wanted to use for his rejected revival of the character in the 80s (who would also have been African-American), 3) The name of an alternate version of the character who appears in “Elseworlds Finest,” 4) The originally intended name for the character waaaaaay back in the Fawcett era (changed, ironically, due to a no-longer active copyright), and 5) The name used for the character (by Geoff Johns!) in Flashpoint.

I dunno. I guess Johns didn’t feel “Captain Thunder” would have been gritty enough…

6 Likes

If he’s just a kid then I call him Billy. Otherwise, it is Captain Marvel…forever.

5 Likes

Captain Thunder wouldve been better than Shazam.

5 Likes

Captain Marvel.

Shazam is the wizard and the magic word.

4 Likes

Captain Marvel all the way! As far as I’m concerned, Billy Batson is the only Captain Marvel in existence, and anyone who says otherwise is a dirty turncoat!

(Jk on that last part, but in all seriousness I do still like to refer to Billy as Captain Marvel)

6 Likes

Yeah, I mean black adam doesn’t himself shazam

1 Like

I wish Carol danver was still ms marvel(Nothing against Kamala Khan)

4 Likes

What if you’re talking to comic fans?

1 Like

It’s been long enough now that I’m pretty comfortable calling him Shazam!

2 Likes