Do You Call Billy Batson Captain Marvel or Shazam?

I still call him Captain Marvel out of habit. Besides, he was the very first character by that name.

3 Likes

Wow, but I’m confused. Why did your wife called him shazam? Isn’t he called Captain marvel in the show as well?

2 Likes

really? I still don’t like calling him Shazam.

2 Likes

I just call him capatin marvel because he’s the original captain marvel

2 Likes

Captain Marvel mostly I’m not calling Billy’s twin sister Lady Shazam. Mary Marvel just sounds catchier in my opinion.

4 Likes

But wasn’t he called captain marvel in the show as well?

1 Like

lady shazam sounds weird tbh, but it makes more sense than Mary marvel because she’s using her real name so she’s just asking to be caught.

1 Like

I’m 20.

1 Like

Well thank you, hurts when I hear people say comics are dying but I still have hope that younger people will get into comics.

4 Likes

The injustice video game was my first exposure to the character, and they called him Captain Marvel. I didn’t even know that DC had changed his name to Shazam after Marvel purchased the copyright for the name Captain Marvel. When the 2 movies came out I had a little fun with it.

2 Likes

Not really since Mary is a very common last name

1 Like

It was basically insult to injury.

2 Likes

fair point but mary is her first name.

1 Like

Yeah i know. I heard he surpassed superman at one point.

2 Likes

Captain Marvel

3 Likes

I call him Captain Marvel. How is he supposed to refer to himself? If his name is Shazam then he can never introduce himself.

2 Likes

he has to mean it when he transforms. If he doesn’t mean it he won’t transform.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I noticed when reading Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E that Freddy can’t say his name or they make a joke of it.

But in a later Shazam title Captain Marvel or Shazam can say it just like what you said.

2 Likes

I usually call him Shazam. I know it’s really the wizards name, I haven’t seen any of his comics so I don’t really know the backstory for all that. Only thing I’ve seen from him is the movie which was good and sort of the reason why I call him Shazam since the movie is called that. It’s just easier to say and people still know who I’m talking about.

2 Likes

Shazam is the name of the wizard. He used to be Captain Marvel but I think more recently he is just referred to as Marvel.

2 Likes