DISCUSS: Meta Madhouse - THE CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND! Behold Your New Champion: ⚡️REVERSE-FLASH!⚡️

I’m gonna have to go with Reverse Flash, he was my pick from the beginning and now Im super stoked haha

2 Likes

Reverse-Flash for the ultimate win!!! Just watched DC Daily vid. They didn’t mention margin of victory (as per usual—just a tacked-on announcement, no discussion segment or anything). But huzzah! Reverse-Flash won the final match and I ‘passed’ per @ajm08g proxying for Brainiac! It made sense at the time—scroll up for post containing pertinent detailed & well-reasoned breakdown… Wooh. Good game, folks! (Except for those Catwoman victories. I’ll never forgive those.)

2 Likes

Is DCU gonna publicly announce the winner of the WW84 premiere? We gotta know so we can congratulate him.

1 Like

Yes! Reverse Flash as champion! I just “passed” too! I also broke down fun titles we could have given each other once the results all came in although if anyone thinks there is a better title just let me know. :sweat_smile:

For those in the 50 percentile and below, I was thinking of them being considered as “unlawful citizens.”
They are not afraid to jay walk or tell their parents they’ll be home at 11 but actually show up at midnight. :astonished:

For those in the 40 percentile, I was thinking of them being considered as “shady henchmen.”
Local citizens are sure to walk the other way if they see them, but they are easily dispatched by a hero without breaking a sweat. :grimacing:

For those in the 30 percentile, I was thinking of them being considered as “big bads.”
They cause trouble for our heroes for a season, but our heroes find a way to defeat them in the end. :sunglasses:

For those in the 20 percentile, I was thinking of them being considered as “vile villains.”
They commit crimes that might keep you up at night and feel great once they are either locked up back in Arkham Asylum, or Blackgate for 20 to life… Well, until they break out once more. :flushed: :oncoming_police_car: :no_good_man: :no_good_woman:

And finally, for those that get into the top 10 percentile, I was thinking of them being considered as “nefarious evil doers.”
These think the actions of the Joker in The Killing Joke is a work of art and give a standing ovation to Reverse Flash for killing Barry’s mother. :smiling_imp: :scream: :speak_no_evil:

If these are good or if there are any other suggestions feel free to let me know! It’s going to be a very interesting conclusion of the tournament for sure and good luck to those that have played along! :flash_hv_1: :batman_hv_3: :catwoman_hv_3: :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

And now the conclusion to the Meta Madhouse commentary…

Previously in the Meta Madhouse Tournament…

The Reverse Flash sped straight towards Brainiac…
Wait Just A Minute says someone off in the distance.
Lex Luthor enters.
Lex: Joker, c’mon. Do you have to rub it in?
Joker: What are you talking about Lex?
Lex: You started this commentary in my bracket… I think we’ve heard enough…
Lex puts his hand to his forehead.
Joker then smiles.
Joker: Not so my chrome domed fiend. I get the last laugh. Ha ha ha! :joker_hv_2:
Lex shrugs…
Lex: Fine, but this isn’t your Joker Asylum commentary so make it quick. Plus I also thought Harley only did 4th wall breaks?
Joker: She’s got better things to deal with… Especially that new Punchline… Ha ha ha. Now where were we… Oh yes!

Brainiac ready to fire his lasers to stop Reverse Flash in his tracks, suddenly sees Reverse Flash disappear. Brainiac confused, looks all around the battle field. Not a single trace of Reverse Flash. Then, with a loud Ka-Rak-A-Boom Reverse Flash appears and punches Brainiac in the back of his head. Brainiac now furious looks to strike back is then suddenly paralyzed. He then begins to transform. Various bzzts and computer failure sounds can now be heard coming from Brainiac. Reverse Flash looks on with an ever increasing smile. Brainiac’s black eyes soon turn blue, and then white code letters begin to form scrolling down his eyelids. Then, a new Brainiac begins to form. With a few snaps, cracks, and pops, Brainiac 5 is now on the battle field. Reverse Flash laughs and then says, “Sorry Brainy, this is a tournament for villains, and therefore you are now disqualified. I win.”

Lex: Wait, wait, wait. What!? How is that fair Joker!?
Joker: That’s time travel for you. Oh would you look at the time. Game Over Lex.
Lex: This isn’t over Joker.
Lex then walks off.
Joker: Oh, you are quite right. Think I’ll go run around Gotham a bit more and I’m sure your going to join. Leggggggg-Oh! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Joker continues laughing as the screen then fades to black.

The End…?

1 Like

While plenty of parts of my brackets got busted. I did get the champion correct.

At some point I need to go through an tally all my points, just out of curiosity.

But, like many a fight. Speed is one if the greatest advantages.

Congrats to Eobard Thawne, the Reverse-Flash, master of the Meta Madhouse Tournament of Terror!!!

Thanks to @DCDaily for their coverage of the event and thanks to @Applejack and all the DCU and DC folks for bringing back the Meta Madhouse this year better than ever. :clap::clap::clap:

Looking forward to next year already!!!

7 Likes

Pretty good Final Four. Two questions though.
First what was/is the Lazarus Pit save? I don’t remember seeing that mentioned and it seriously messed up all of my predictions/brackets.

Second I’d be curious to know how people voted. I’m guilty of it once or twice BUT most of the time I voted for who would NATURALLY win in a match up. Example I’ve always been a huge Captain Marvel/Shazam guy and loved what they did with Black Adam in JSA. That said I can’t see Adam doing well against the Anti-Monitor so I voted A-M yet Adam got the win, so the more popular got the win. I had Harley vs Prof. Zoom and knew Zoom should win but I figured Harley was too popular to lose so I went Harley and out smarted myself. So how did y’all vote? With your heart or head?

Black Adam didn’t get the majority of votes, Anti-Monitor did. But BA was the character with the one-time Lazarus Pit save in that bracket, so he was able to reverse the defeat and move on.

3 Likes

Thanks Aylex. Did I miss the Lazarus Pit thing in the rules/explanations? Was not tracking that shenanigan.

1 Like

The Lazarus Pit definitely didn’t make the difference I think it was meant to make.

1 Like

I am a long time Flash fan and have always thought a superhero is only as good as his villains. The Flash’s rogue gallery is one of the best and Reverse Flash is just too stupidly powerful. He just focuses his power on one thing and that’s the Flash. Both Eobard Thawne from the past was obsessed with the Flash and Hunter Zoloman was obsessed with making the Flash better. Each was so powerful but didn’t want to rule the world. They wanted to effect the Flash, in their own way.

1 Like

Aylex, where was the Lazarus Pit save talked about? Did I miss it on the instructions/description? I’m not always able to log into the app (personal time constraints) so I didn’t vote in every round. so thought it may have been introduced there. Otherwise I’m calling balderdash since it did mess me over 3 of the 4 times used.

1 Like

I think the biggest thing the Lazarus Pit Save mechanic did was keep Anti-Monitor from steamrolling everybody in the Darkseid Invaders. It also took out Deathstroke very early on, who I’m certain was a fan favorite in the Masterminds.

6 Likes

I would try to look in the news section. I know they explained it there like who was making the saves and a bit about their reasoning for doing so. Hope this helps. My bracket was busted almost immediately but it was still fun seeing the different matchups :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wondering what the heck Meta Madhouse is? Check out the full details here!

2 Likes

The biggest thing the LP Save did was ruin all my brackets lol. You’re right about Anti-Monitor and Deathstroke, as I had both of them making it to the semifinals.

It was kind of wasted on someone like Zebra Man though, since nobody knows who he is, and (let’s be real) no one’s gonna vote for a character they don’t know.

4 Likes

Another victor that’s not who I wanted but just as last year deserved the win.
Congrats Reverse Flash.

This madhouse was a blast. The brackets being made before hand was very fun (with a nice prize as incentive). This year seemed to be more on actual skill than popularity like last year. Some interesting surprises and the Lazarus Pits were definitely a game changer in the start but I feel became a little predictable in the last two. But still definitely a new factor to think about now when making the bracket. And a nice way to keep the obviously over powered from winning.

My bracket was destroyed from out of the gate but like I said I still had fun and can’t wait for next year. Maybe a multiverses clash with other versions of our heroes (or villains) in heated battles.

2 Likes

I picked Zebra Man in my bracket (only for his first match). Just had a funny feeling someone would use their Lazarus Pit save on him. Was still sort of shocked it actually happened after prior saves all went to well-known’s… But otherwise the Lazarus Pit was not my friend, essentially as just described by @HubCityQuestion re: Anti-Monitor and Deathstroke.

2 Likes

The Lazarus Pit Saves need some tweaking. I’ve got some ideas I’ll put into my feedback in the Office Hours thread.

The thing about the LP save is that it brought a sense of upset to the tournament. In every NCAA basketball tournament there are always a few “wtf” upsets. Where a team that by rights should beat their opponent, the opponent wins. 16 seed UMBC beating 1 seed Virginia, for example. If they played 25 times, Virginia would beat them, and usually pretty badly. But there is that 1 in 25 chance UMBC could win and it just so happened to be in a one loss and you’re out tournament.

Maybe it shouldn’t be a Lazarus Pit, but a bracket leader double team, so for example HQs LO save would have been a Joker double team to beat Ivy, for example.

Or there should be some random element put it where the Lazarus Pit save tries and fails. So when an LP save activates it has a higher than 50/50% (73.4% or some kinda random number) chance of working but it might activate and fail.

This was the first year the LP was in play, so it’s not surprising that it might need some conceptual tweaking. It was also a way to show a few members of DC’s talent pool engaging within a community event, and each had given an interview as to their reasoning behind it.

Maybe some more synergy between the watchtower thread, the news section, and maybe DCDaily would help???

DCU really stepped up their game this year over last. I expect that with this year’s tournament getting bigger response than last year, at least I’m guessing it did. I can see this becoming a major annual event for DCU. That means more focus, planning and resources put in to it, I hope.

Like real-time point tallying and leaderboard and what percentile your bracket is in, which will fluctuate as matches happen. I hope we can get this next year.

3 Likes

Ah the famed Lazarus Pit. Yeah my most crushing defeat was for the Anti-Monitor, although it also hurt a bit in my Beast bracket with Zebra man going over Black Manta. Actually, it hurt probably not in the way most thought about it.

Catwoman was actually my Cinderella story for the tournament in that my thinking was she would get the Lazarus Pit save against Grodd. Once Zebra Man got it, I knew I was probably in trouble and maybe should have gone with my first instincts in making my picks. :sweat_smile:

I know now also to do a bit more homework by having fun reading through the comics to help in making picks too and hope maybe we’ll see a top 30 or something with how everyone who played along now that we’ve reached the conclusion. A lot of great ideas for more fun next year as well! :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes