Digital vs Print

I’ll go digital when they get the smell right.

7 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

If you like TPBS, Hardcovers, Omnis, etc. you oughta check out In Stock Trades or CheapGraphicNovels. Great packaging from IST in my experience and 42% discounts on some popular titles.

4 Likes

It depends on what I’m reading, some I want to add to my collection, others I’ll just read them here.

2 Likes

@darkstarz25 Can confirm, InStock Trades is the place. Great discounts and super packaging. :+1:

3 Likes

There is a store near me called Ollie’s. I can pick up brand new hardcovers for like $5-$10. The only downside is that you never know what kind of selection they will have when you walk in the door. I cannot complain about the titles I have picked up including but not limited to: Justice League Gods and Monsters, Constantine vol 1,2,3 and Teen Titans Year One.

4 Likes

@darkstarz25 YOOOOO! Yes, I often go on Ollie’s run myself! I picked up Zero Year Hardcover, Secret Six, Chuck Dixon BOP for hella cheap! You damn right it is a crap shoot though. Some stuff they have makes you go “Oh, well I see why they’re trying to get rid of this” lol. My other favorite thing to do is stalk the discount novels section at major bookstores.

3 Likes

I am off tomorrow and I think I know what I am doing after I visit City Hall to pay taxes. Hoo-ray for being productive on a day off!

4 Likes

@Bukdiah @darkstarz25 I wish Ollie’s was in Minnesota. I’ve heard about their sales. Sounds like a good place to hunt through to find some treasures.

Like the kid who woke up Christmas morning with a room full of horse sh*t. His parents couldn’t figure out why he was so happy. The kid turned to them and said “there’s gotta be a pony in here somewhere!”

3 Likes

I’m 100% digital now living in an apartment doesn’t give me too much room for anything.

3 Likes

Print. But way less volume than I used to.

I bought every issue 1 of the New 52 and progressively dropped titles as they got bad. I only dropped 2 titles for issue 2. Plus, I was buying non-DC books. Probably took me a year before I was buying less than 35 books a month.

But recent years burned me out. Too much miss, not enough hit. I buy less than 10 books a month now, including indie books. (Down to zero Marvel!)

At $4 a pop, I’d rather wait a year to digitally read most titles that I’m not 100% sure about. I buy in print the creators and characters that I know I want no matter what.

2 Likes

@JulianPope I will always love having print over digital but the one major thing I love about the comics on this app is there is such a vast amount! This is awesome to read something new or fill in gaps of a story . Although, I’m a print man at heart I do see the appeal for digital comics. The one problem with print is the long boxes, bags and boards. Digital doesn’t have that problem. I know I have an inner conflict here.

4 Likes

Ever since I got this app and started reading the comics and the way it zooms out keeps me focused on the story at hand and not spoil it for myself and skipping through. I recently just finished reading doomsday clock and damn! It was cray!

7 Likes

I like both, but prefer the printed copy in my hands. I like to buy high quality hardcover trades of the most classic story lines and sit in my office, surrounded by my super hero collectibles and decorations, with a full screen crackling fireplace on YouTube playing in the background, in my reclining chair, reading and taking in every page.
I also do that for digital, though, so there’s that… :sweat_smile:
For print, I try and only read one story line at a time and the subscriptions I have each month (currently low at only 3 series)
For digital it is very tempting to go all over the place with the content available here. I try to have some self discipline and finish what I start…it’s hard, though.

3 Likes

I’ve actually been reading digitally since the start of the New 52-- but have recently found some joy in physical copies of DC’s 100 page Giants.

5 Likes

If there’s a comic I really want I buy it in print. But for the most part I read digitally

5 Likes

I’ve actually come around on the digital comics. I read them on my iPad mini which is great for both panel zoom or full page. The panel zoom is great though. I never really go back and read any of my old paper copies. Digital let’s me read like 10 a day hahah

5 Likes

I buy singles digitally, but comics that matter to me or that I just really enjoy I buy in print. Hardcover, if I can afford it.

4 Likes

Digital is really good for travel and I do like couch mode on DCU, but there’s nothing quite like holding the actual book in your hands.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Glad to hear you like that part of the app.

4 Likes