Digital vs Print

I am 99% digital now. I will sometimes buy Omnibus editions, but that is pretty much it these days. Honestly, since I have this app, I don’t even buy new comics, just keep up with the stuff here, and eventually I will catch up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great post!!! Having been reading comics since the late 70s print is my preferred version. Mostly for nostalgia. That being said, I’ve been enjoying the digital versions more. Because I can take my phone or tablet any where and have DCs catalog right there.

I still go to my local comic book store every week but I mostly just bag’n board them now and read the digital copy.

5 Likes

Fantastic topic, @JulianPope! Like you, I have found a love for reading comics digitally. The panel zoom and simple swipe to next page while the next issue is “locked and loaded” is hard to beat. I do, however, still appreciate the printed copies. If I find a book to be particularly interesting and connect deeply with the art or storyline, I don’t hesitate in locating a paper copy for my collection. Maybe I’m old school but there’s nothing like the smell of the paper and ink, the sound and feel of flipping a page, finding a new score at the comic shop, and it never runs out of battery! Also, I’m a bibliophile. :nerd_face: :books: :open_book:

10 Likes

Books smell good. I’m pretty sure I freaked out my elementary school teacher before because I would often smell the book I was handed to read lol.

Guided view is cool because it adds to the suspense and not revealing things to you prematurely though I’d much rather have a 10" tablet vs a phone to read stuff but haven’t found one for the right price yet.

5 Likes

I like both. Actually, I think digital is better. It reduces things like pages sticking together, tears, having to purchase or seek out everthing.It is also mre casual, so I don’t get called a comics nerd all the time.

3 Likes

Print print print. Im not even gonna lie, I’ve been on this app for two years and not once have i read a comic on it. I just can’t do it, i gotta feel the paper in my hand, i have to see the ads and editors notes. That’s just me, im not even that old, im 28, but people say i do have an old soul. I only use this app for the shows and community, digital comics will never do it for me.

5 Likes

As long as we’re not killing the trees anymore. I think Poison Ivy really appreciates digital.

4 Likes

@AmberDisco Nothin wrong with being a nerd. Those people sound jealous! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, you’d be surprised. I don’t really mind the insult, it is th meaningless set up that is annoying.
Like, “Hey what are you doing?”
“Reading comics”
“Oh, like Spider-Man?”
“No, Ambush Bug”
“Who’s that?”
“oh, well he is…”
“I actually don’t care, nerd.”

I am cool with being insulted, but don’t waste my time with expo. It’s annoying.

5 Likes

Oh, god. That’s why you hide in the bushes when they are eating lunch outside. Then you pop out like “You’ve been ambushed! RESPECT THE BUG!”

As you can see, I have extensive knowledge of the character…

3 Likes

Eh, I do get revenge, but more subtly. I am what you would call a nerd. I get straight A’s, am in a lot of intellectual electives, socially awkward, read comics, give random facts So anyway, whenever they ask for help, i give them the “answers”. Sometimes it is general sometimes specific (I once gave a BS statistic from Irvin Schwabb)

Just don’t let her give you a smooch of appreciation, because well, you know…

It’s the one time you can turn down a smooch from a beautiful redhead. :wink:

2 Likes

I love the hunt so I buy physical but I also love the portability of digital. I go back and forth sometimes I’ll be on a comiXology kick and sometimes I’ll go on physical buying sprees and on the super rare occasion I’ll buy both physical and digital. I like the physical books because I can share what I’m reading on instagram @bigdogcomics

5 Likes

The satisfaction of browsing in a bookstore/comic shop and holding a physical copy in your hands is irreplaceable.

That said, saving space, being able to zoom, and having what you own at your fingertips in a heartbeat feels more and more valuable the older I get/the more moves I go through.

I’ve kinda hit a compromise between the two by purchasing hard copies of one shots, graphic novels or limited series, and using digital for all the rest.

5 Likes

Wow, I’m kind of the same but I do pick up TPBs if I can too. Frankly, unless it is a “classic” DC story, I won’t purchase a DC book. So most of my hardcover and trades are from other publishers. In Stock Trades is a damn cheat code!

3 Likes

Until I got this DC app I never would’ve considered reading comics digitally. I still strongly prefer printed copies. However now that there are seemingly endless comics to choose from I’m reading things that I never would have before, like for example, Ambush Bug, whom I had never even heard of before I started lurking here on the boards.

5 Likes

:joy: Lol. I love this! I always smell my books too. Nothing like that “new book” scent!

1 Like

When I first used the app to read the comics digitally, I didn’t have the help assist mode activated like Comixology does when you launch that. My advice to anybody reading digital for the first time is to use that app first to become familiar with the help assist, so you know to double-click on a panel to get into the panel mode and then swipe it to get to the next.

I also greatly prefer landscape orientation vs. portrait with the digital comics reading. You can see by default larger font size. For us older types with weak eyesight, this is important.

Digital doesn’t replace the tactile sense of holding a book and turning pages and manually zooming into a panel wherever we want by positioning the book a certain angle or way.

Personally, I prefer digital over print except in the case of being in places with no power or internet or if one is building a collection. A physical collection for buy, trade and sale just doesn’t really exist with non-physical goods.

3 Likes

All digital but will buy print sometimes. Digitial is future though.

1 Like

I am all for digital but I still purchase trades. My bank account wasn’t happy with me when I was making the weekly pilgrimage to the comic shop. I can walk out of a store with a trade or two and slowly work my way through them and then read as many books as possible on this app.

4 Likes