Digital vs Print

Just curious what everyone prefers today. I had never really read comics digitally before DCU but now I can’t stop. The panel zoom and getting to see some additional details is pretty unique. While I still prefer having the printed page in my hand, it’s hard to argue against the convenience of digital.

24 Likes

All of my comics are digital unless I really want it like Super Sons, Superman (2016), or Nightwing (2016).

9 Likes

Both. I prefer to read them digitally, but do buy the print for when I want it for my collection.

10 Likes

All digital. Mostly Comixology, because I don’t want to wait a year for stuff to be on here, and because I prefer to read collected editions when possible.
I have a small, growing collection of hardcovers. Stuff I’ve already read, that I really like and feel would be nice to have a physical copy of. Just a “collector” thing.

11 Likes

I prefer Print, but thanks to the DC universe catalog, I don’t mind reading digital anymore.

10 Likes

I prefer digital for the price and the convenience. I read so many more comics now that I can just pull out my phone and read whenever Im stuck waiting somewhere for a few minutes. Reading something in print is a better experience overall, but I do the vast majority of my comics reading digitally.

11 Likes

I’ve gone digital due to dwindling space. My long boxes are full and what shelf space I have for my trades, hardcovers and custom bindings are packed. While I love holding comics in hand, digital has helped me carry a virtual library in one device.

For DC stuff, I use this app. If I want to read the IDW Ninja Turtles or Ghostbusters comics, I use Comixology.

11 Likes

I prefer print because you feel some bit of coolness and pride as you look upon your comic collection.

8 Likes

I love having a physical copy personally but I love this app mostly for the stories I’ve missed out on it really is convenient. A part of me will always want to own my own copy that I can lend out or read with my kids.

5 Likes

I honestly couldnt afford to buy physical comics at todays prices. I love being able to read the comics on here.

6 Likes

Both, I love digital for convenience and space savings, but I still buy trades from my favorite creators and characters.

8 Likes

Most of the time I will read digitally first, then if I liked the art/writing I will buy a print copy. I always wanna have physical versions of the creator’s work so that if I ever meet them I can get it signed. If there is an issue or a series I REALLY loved I will go out of my way to get variants and first prints. Collections don’t interest me much unless they come with bonus extras or additional stuff.

Reading digitally is the most convenient way and it’s much easier to talk about specific parts or make memes. I would not want to live in a world where I couldn’t hold a copy of comics I love in my hands though.

Both have their specific functions…but if I had to choose I’d pick print. Every time.

6 Likes

Yeah I do this too. Read it digitally, then if I love it buy the hardcover.

6 Likes

Basically if I’m curious about something or want to read it NOW, I’ll go digital, but nowadays if I get a trade it’s often the nice, fancy version of a story that I really love. For example, I tried Batman: White Knight when it was on sale on comixology, LOVED IT, and now I’m eyeing that fancy deluxe edition that comes out next month.

5 Likes

Both are great. I still love a print copy. Call it nostalgia. I love vintage comic shops. I’ll dig through bins!
I like to look at the old advertisements. Especially in silver and golden age. The digital comics usually crop out the ads.

So many cool toys and models. Wish they where still that price.

10 Likes

I’ve been a digital guy for a while because of the sales but if I can snatch a nice HC/Deluxe on a discount…oooh, wee. I do have many Image and Dark Horse TPBs though. Splash pages are always better on physical.

4 Likes

Love having the actual comic in my hands-but must say I have (to my surprise) thoroughly enjoyed the digital format

7 Likes

I love both, but I switched to digital nearly two years ago and love it. Panel and Landscape modes put you in the books, and then some.

I do love going to comic stores and digging around for back issues that aren’t yet available in digital. Hunting through back issue bins is always a blast!

8 Likes

I have always bought print comics because it’s what I do. I do read alot on here though. Pretty much every night. But print is really important for me to have. It brings me so close to the stories I love. It honestly feels as if they are all alive within the covers, right there in my home.

4 Likes

I most often buy comics digitally, mainly because of the price. But I read lots of physical comics since the library has a huge selection. Plus I buy physical copies of some favorites.

3 Likes