Dear DC Diary

Dear DC Diary,

Yes, I’m late to the John Williams party. When I think of film composers, him, Jerry Goldsmith, Henry Mancini, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Ennio Morricone, Danny Elfman, Elmer Bernstein, John Barry, and Erich Korngold are the big names that I know that specifically wrote soundtracks. Out of those, the general public would know the music but would have a hard time naming the actual composer. Williams is the GOAT.

Travis Morgan

7 Likes

The Adventures of Robin Hood is a fav of mine. Classic swashbuckling score.

4 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

I come back after a two week break and I HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT NFTS???

8 Likes

7 Likes

Did you bang your foot on the ottoman? Your radar should see that, Matt.

Be careful, DD. :wink:

4 Likes

Dear DC diary,

Why is nobody singing the praises of Naomi: Season Two?

Its written by the same people who did season one, and yet…nothin’.

Oh, well. Maybe the series will gets it due later on. I enjoy it, at least.

6 Likes

Dear DC Diary,
With the name of the company, you’d think the Super Heroes live in Washington D.C. since Marvel Super Heroes live in New York! :grin:

5 Likes

I binge read season 1 on DCUI and thought it was great (much better experience than the show so far). Will probably wait for season 2 to arrive on here as well.

5 Likes

Could be residual Bendis hate. I get that his overall DC writing hasn’t been…spectacular, but Naomi does seem to be playing to his strengths. Season 1 was awesome and I’ve definitely been liking Season 2 so far :+1:

4 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

Apparently half the internet thinks Spider-Man 3 is better than The Dark Knight Rises. I get that I like Rises way more than most, but like…come on

Glare

5 Likes

5 Likes

Not even sure how it started, but it looks like I may have unintentionally exaggerated when I said half :grin:

4 Likes

No one ever said humans were smart.

6 Likes

And Twitter remains a painful reminder of that every day :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

I Just finished issue 12 of Green Lantern by Geoffrey Thorne, which seems to wrap things up for now (next, Emerald Knights?).

The book was difficult to follow at times, frequently requiring re-reads of prior issues to make sense of things. Some plot threads remain dangling. What happens to Jessica? Keli? Overall the book was ok, with some moments that just nudged me to want to read more and not quit on it. Funny thing is, it did that with its ending. I had kinda decided that I was going to take an extended break from Green Lantern ongoings, and I still might, but that last page got me a bit pumped for what’s next.

3 Likes

You know? I’m sometimes clueless to general perceptions to these things. I liked both movies, and only recently learned that they’re not as well liked as the other movies in their respective franchises.

Like what you like, friend. ■■■■ the internet.

Except when the internet agrees with you, then it’s cool :joy:.

5 Likes

Love Spider-Man 3. bully Maguire, The scene where Sandman gets his powers, The special effects for when the Symbiote is crawling on people looks awesome (at least to me) I’d say there’s a lot to enjoy.

7 Likes

Dear DC diary,

With regards to Spider-Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises, I’ll add to what @TheWifeOfJasonTodd said:

Nobody ever said humans on the Internet were smart.

Case in point: I read a comment out in the greater Interwebs a week ago about the Morbius movie, which reads as follows and I quote:

“Morbius is one of the dumbest movies I’ve ever seen in my life.”

After reading that nugget, I thought the following:

“So, you’ve what, seen 5 movies in your life, including Morbius, so far?”

If a major Hollywood movie from a major Hollywood studio is the dumbest movie you’ve ever seen, then you really need to look into the Z-grade garbage of moviedom.

Movies like (and these are all absolutely, 100% real, my hand to Rao):

• Monster a Go-Go
  • The Giant Spider Invasion
  • Invasion of the Neptune Men
  • The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
  • Any movie directed by Ed Wood

Those are movies that are truly stifling in their brobdingnagian ineptitude, both in how they were made and in their “entertainment value”, of which there is next to none (the unintentional comedy value of all of those movies is through the roof, however).

…and I didn’t even dive into the garbage found in the made for TV and direct to video arenas. If you want to see a hideously stupid movie, then made for TV and direct to video are your ticket.

SN: There are plenty of good made for TV and direct to video movies, BTW.

Its just that when those types of movies are clunkers, they really clunk along, in most respects.

Anyway…

Morbius may indeed be a stinker, because Hollywood churns out a ton of bad movies.

Bad as it may be though, I really doubt its the dumbest said commentator has seen. If so however, they need to see the movies I cited above.

Then, they’ll know true celluloid-based stupidity.

The point of the above ramble is that while I find both SM3 and TDKR to be the least of their respective trilogies, they’re still solidly-made (technically-speaking) when compared to the real cinematic crap that exists in all levels of moviedom.

Between the two, I side with TDKR.

No, not because its a DC movie. I prefer it because:

• Its hero didn’t do a stupid sidewalk dance.

• Said hero didn’t flip his hair in an “Ooh, I’m bad, now.” way that made the theater laugh.

• Its main villain doesn’t retroactively change the first movie of its respective trilogy.

• It didn’t have Kirsten Dunst playing MJ to an annoying degree.

• It didn’t have Harry Osborn say “bop-bop” while eating pie.

• It didn’t have a villain the director didn’t like, but was forced to include, due to studio pressure.

• It did have the lovely Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.

I liked Spider-Man 3 well-enough when it came out (used to have all of its action figures, afterall), but in the 15 years since, I see it as the dud of Raimi’s Marvel output.

SM3 did have Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy and a great Bruce Campbell cameo, so the movie does have some positives (another being Spider-Man’s initial fight with Sandman).

Anyway…this ramble was brought to you by Miranda Tate.

Miranda Tate, she’s in a league of her own. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I’m honestly at the point where I don’t even trust the hoomans anymore. Whether or not a movie is good or bad is completely up to personal taste and I’m sick and tired of people thinking that they’re “movie reviewers”. They’re not. I don’t care if it’s someone’s purpose for their YouTube channel or if they’re an actual reviewer on a site. They are not. They are just a person who thinks their opinion matters in a world full of other contradicting options. Even after The Batman came out, people wanted to debate which other Batman movie was better.

Newsflash, there is no such thing as “better” or “the best”, and it’s tiring to wait for a movie to come out and then everyone trashes it. Yes I know that Hollywood movies are all corporate and commercial, but what is it that makes people upset? Do we all now have impossibly high standards because movie making technology has improved? I know the obvious answer is “we want well rounded and developed characters!” “We want a good story without loose ends.” The only problem with that is that writing a story is not easy, believe me, and it’s even harder to write a story that will accommodate millions of people who all have conflicting tastes.

I guess my point is… it’s exhausting when a movie comes out, for me at least. I wanna go back to a time where when a movie or show came out, no one complained. Everyone accepted them the way they were, and you didn’t have people thinking that they were cinema connoisseurs.

4 Likes

Debating movies (a practice that’s existed for as long as movies themselves have) is fun.

Just so long as everyone realizes they’re movies and absolutely nothing to legitimately flip their :poop: over.

Good or bad, they’re fun.

Its fun to see a good movie.

Its fun to trash a bad movie.

People do have a right to their opinions. They just need to be better educated before they debut their YouTube channel/Internet what have you wherein they proclaim themselves The Movie God of The Internet, because that is one deity that definitely does not exist.

Also, you’re right about the difficulties of writing.

You can work yourself to the bone writing day and night, thinking “This is great. This piece will go somewhere.”

Then, when your writing gets into the hands of someone who can move it along, they politely sigh and say “We’re going to pass for now. Thanks for the effort, though.”

I have material at WB that is sitting in a file cabinet somewhere that attests to this.

But…we pick ourselves up and just try, try again, because one day, somebody of influence at a publisher, movie studio and/or the like will look up at us and say “Okay, let’s do this.”

At that point, we’ll be so over the moon that something we poured ourselves into is seeing the light of day that we won’t care what the Internet thinks.

One day…

2 Likes