DCUBC-Epics: JONAH HEX, All Star Western (2011-)

The other thing I like about Dr. A is that he does have some insights but also spouts 1800s sounding psychobabble

2 Likes

Seeing Dr. A’ psychological analysis of Hex is a fun contrast and lens to view Hex through.

1 Like

You know how to pick them JL. This is the same team from the “power Girl” arc we read not long ago. I will be sure to read the comments and share my own thoughts on this beloved western genre comic book arc.
I already read the origin of Hex that was sad and great.

1 Like

@IssacBrown
Howdy! It’s always a pleasure to see ya’. I didn’t know this was the same team from Power Girl - that’s cool! Welcome aboard =)

1 Like

Issue 5
The scene with the water and the cliff was soooo good. I was captivated and I empathized with Jonah. He just needed a few moments to think in peace and silence.

The prehistoric Bat was awesome!

1 Like

Issue 6

So Hex is coming for the criminal in New Orleans! We’re teased with two new characters: Cinnamon and Nighthawk. I loved the owls in the background of Wayne Manor. It’s a nice foreshadow for Volume 2 The War of Lords and Owls (issues 7-12).

I agree with Jonah the kid needed to know the truth about his dad. The truth hurt, but it also set him free to make better choices.

1 Like

Issue 1, I’m struggling a little bit. I didn’t hate the writing but it’s very narration heavy.

Like - It feels like a Gotham Origin Story
- Jonah is an interesting complex character
- There’s a sense of forshadowing
- Good art

Don’t Like - Narration Heavy
- So far kinda boring plot. Looking at the comics it seems to get more exciting. Hoping it will be a little bit like Black Panther (2015-18) and pick up as it goes. I’ll give it one or two more issues!
Kin

1 Like

I love the random kin at the end… No idea how it got there…

1 Like

@Nathan.Payson
I like the random “Kin” too. It fits the western theme. Like “Kinfolk”.

Thank ya’ kindly for giving it a couple more issues! If it works for you, cool, if it’s not for you, it’s all good. Not every book appeals to everyone.

1 Like

Issue 5, love that the Hawks, as Cinnamon and Nighthawk are on their way.
While I didn’t care for the El Diablo backup story, I loved Barbary Ghost. Interesting,unique new character. Specific in details to Chinese immigrants, but universal in seeking revenge for what happened to her family. Give me a DC Western to write and Barbary Ghost will make an appearance.

1 Like

Okay I’m running a bit behind on my epics reading this week. With that being said, this book is RAD. I’m 4 issues in and i am just loving it. The character of Jonah is really complex so far, and i can’t wait to learn more about him. Also really enjoying the buddy cop aspect we got going on. Also that action sequence in issue 2 was just so awesome. I mean come on how cool is this page?!

2 Likes

Also I’m in love with this cover.

2 Likes

@msgtv
The Barbary Ghost was a compelling, page-turner for me. I want to see more of her.

1 Like

@MattMcDonald
No worries I just finished 7-9 and will post about them shortly.
You know it’s about to go down when Jonah says “Evenin’ Boys”. That action was awesome. And I’m with you on that cover. Loved it!

If anyone is running behind, I added 3 time-saving tips at the bottom of the original post. Feel free to apply them. I’ll be here all month!

2 Likes

Issues 7-9 are like a mini-arc within Volume 7 (issues 7-12).

Issue 7
One of the things I love about Jonah is he bluntly says what he thinks.

Also “Playin’ Dress-up” Ha!

Nighhawk’s backstory was both heartwarming and heartbreaking. I’m enthralled by this secondary story and want to see what happens next.

Issue 9
ooouuuu! PLOT TWIST! I love it! Also, I like this panel, what a beautiful horse!

Opps, I meant to post this

Issue 8
At the end of this issue, I’m left wondering how far Jonah will go to infiltrate the August 7. I like how they alternate showing him planning with Nighthawk and Cinnamon and him actively putting the plan in action to try to win the confidence of August 7. (Issue 9 is fulfilling to me after everything that went down in 7&8).

This arc proves we need all the Western heroes together to form a team, a league you might say, to fight for justice.

2 Likes

@msgtv
That. Is. AWESOME!!!

The western league would be fun to read and to watch! There are lots of vigilantes throughout this series and seeing them all fight one big bad for justice would be a hoot!

1 Like

Issue 9 (continued)
Tallulah Black made quite an entrance!

Loved the shoe panels, I had no idea whose shoes they were.

GREAT END! I love Jonah’s response in this panel. Full disclosure, I’ve been told these words a few times in life! :laughing:

I’m planning to read 10-12 on Tuesday.