DCU Book Club Week 70 ROBIN: YEAR ONE #1-4, Jan 13 - Jan 19

Already entrenched in the Batcave and his official training complete, young Dick Grayson has a world of experience to gain and a ton of new enemies to make—beginning with the truly insane Mad Hatter! The early days of the Boy Wonder begin here!

Greetings!

Dick Grayson is one of the best heroes in DC’s stable of heroes. Before he donned the name Nightwing, he was Batman’s trusty sidekick!

Robin Year One takes us through the early days of Dick’s crime fighting journey. This is one of my all time favorites. I can’t wait to hear what you think!

How to join the fun:

*Start reading! Issue One is available here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all four issues between 2020-01-13T06:00:00Z2020-01-19T06:00:00Z:alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Robin: Year One?

• What is your favorite version of Dick Grayson?

• How does this version of Dick vary from others you’ve read?

• What was your favorite page or panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

3 Likes

Bookmarked… hey it’s got to be better than that Nightwing Series last year right?

1 Like

Robin: Year One by Chuck Dixon – not to be confused with Robin: Year One by Chuck Dixon.

Running out of names, DC?

I’d sooner make that a dig on Chuck than on DC, but that may be my personal bias. :sweat_smile:

Also, nice of you to add to the Year theme along with me, @MattMcDonald! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

To be fair that book did have much better hair.

1 Like

This worked out very well :harley_hv_7:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to reading this one! Looks fun!

I like RYO, but I have one big gripe with it that won’t come as any surprise…

Tec 574

Significant moments in this storyline come from classic Jason stories, not classic Dick stories!

grumble grumble

1 Like

Jason who? :wink:

1 Like

I think it’s that one guy with the cane that’s always trying to date Barbara Gordon, but I could be wrong… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A robin is a robin is a Robin, right?

2 Likes

@Don-El

New tights who dis?

3 Likes

Happy Saturday everyone! Don’t forget to let us know what you thought of this week’s book!

1 Like

I am LOVING this book. Telling it from Alfred’s perspective it is just awesome.

I’m still reading (I’m in issue 2), but I just wanted to quickly drop in some of my favorite moments so far. I’ll drop more comments later today!

I’m glad he asked:

2 Likes

Yes this is my first time reading this series.

My favorite version would probably be either Young Justice or Batman: The Animated Series.

This version of Dick seem like his is very capable of becoming Batman’s assistant even though he is very new to crime fighting. We can see this in his ability to follow clues to find and defeat the Mad Hatter and his ability to take down Strike. He also seem like he is a little eager to please Batman. He doesn’t seem to have the anger towards Bruce like he will in the future and we see Alfred wondering if what Bruce is doing is in Dick’s best interest.

My favorite part was either

because of Jim Gordon’s reaction or

because I just found this panel funny.

Thanks for recommending this run @MattMcDonald. I really enjoyed this year one series, it was a quick read and seemed to keep me intrigued throughout the four issues.

2 Likes

Ha! Yes! I loved that scene for Jim’s reaction too.

1 Like

Scenes that hit me in the feels:
Poor Robin :cry:

Seriously, Bruce?! insert none-existent face-slap emoji here

You tell him, Alfred!:

starts cheering Yes, you’re still Robin and always will be!

This made laugh, “the rodent”

• first time reading
  • I haven’t read enough of Dick Grayson to have a favorite yet.
  • This story painted him in a beautiful, hopeful, youthful light and I really enjoyed it. I like how Alfred compared Bruce and Dick’s responses to the tragedy of losing their parents. Reading stories of the Bat-Family from Alfred’s perspective is gold!
  • see earlier panels

This was a compelling story. Thanks for another great pick, Matt!

1 Like

Exactly why I loved this book. Robin is a child and I think this book does an EXCELLENT job at conveying that.

Glad you liked it!

1 Like

Little does he know!

What a great moment though. It’s funny and it’s a great nod to his future. Stuff like that is why I love the book.

1 Like