DCU Book Club Week 70 ROBIN: YEAR ONE #1-4, Jan 13 - Jan 19

This is hands down my favorite page of the book gets me every time.

1 Like

Also this page is very good as well.

2 Likes

That was a beautiful moment. He’s just a young teen enjoying skating with a crush. Bruce thought he could provide everything Dick needed, except he forgot that Dick is a teen and is likely going through hormonal changes and socialization is something Dick and Alfred couldn’t provide. I was glad Dick was able to convey that to Alfred.

A cool detail about that scene is that it’s actually also in Batgirl: Year One, but from Barbara’s perspective.

1 Like
  • Is this your first time reading Robin: Year One?

Yes – overall I liked it. I feel like they did a little too much of the unnecessary, fluffy fan service scenes about Robin’s future, like the one with Blockbuster, and possibly most egregious being the one with Joker. But at least it was better than in Batgirl: Year One, where it seems like her narration balloons were mentioning Oracles every other page. Other than that, it is a pretty solid, interesting character piece on Dick growing up, as well as on Batman and Alfred.

• What is your favorite version of Dick Grayson?

Young Justice is definitely a good one, as is BTAS. In terms of comics, as Robin I’ve liked him in Dark Victory as well as New Teen Titans. I also liked his brief stint as Batman as well as the Grayson series. Really, there aren’t a lot of takes on Dick Grayson that I don’t like.

• How does this version of Dick vary from others you’ve read?

This is him probably at his youngest and most inexperienced.

1 Like

Okay that’s is so SO cool

That is super fair. It works for me, but I totally get it’s not for everyone. That kind of stuff can bother me so I totally get it

I mean, most of them aren’t too bad, but I feel like The Joker scene was. Literally the only reason it’s there is to say “hey, remember how Joker kills A Robin in the future?” I mean, it’s not even the same Robin!

1 Like

@Jay_Kay, at least it’s not like the Red Hood Zero Year tie-in you’re covering this week. Not only does young Jason dress up like a member of the Red Hood Gang, but the Joker and Talia show up to watch over him. Holy Prequel-itis! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I haven’t read those yet – I’ve been reading them all in alphabetical order, because that’s how my dumb brain works – but yeesh. Yeesh.

1 Like

Since I’ll most probably not live to the ancient age of 104, my goal instead is to focus on participating in the ORIGINAL DCU Book Club until at least Week 104, the 2 year mark,woo hoo!!

1- Pretty sure this is the first time reading Robin: Year One. Since they are not part of current storylines, I normally avoid Year One mini series (especially since 5 years later a different “Year One” at times pops up for the same character).

2- Favorite version of Dick Grayson: the original Teen Titans in the early '80s.

3- This version of Dick matches the TT one well: He’s mentally healthy when it comes to relationships and love.

1. Some favorite panels:

3 Likes

Man, I have definitely read this before, but with a memory as good as mine, every time is the first time. I don’t remember where I’ve read it, but I have definitely read it.

Hmm, I’m not sure I understand the question, but that’s okay…I can’t really think of a version of him that I don’t like.

Well, he’s more green here given that it’s a Year One title, but this jives with what’s come before.

What stood out to me the most was the scene where Dick gets fired…it’s very reflective of Batman 408 where he gets fired again. Nice symmetry there.

It also strikes me that Chuck Dixon is underrated as a Bat writer.