DCU Book Club Week 41: PLASTIC MAN (1988) Issues 1-4

@hotstufflouieb

That’s a fantastic point about Teen Titans Go! Absolutely it feels a lot like that. The hijinks take center stage while the heroics are more of an afterthought.

1 Like

@chaotick

Thanks for stopping in! Glad you liked it! What was your favorite gag?

I can definitely see the TTG comparison – not a big fan of TTG, but I think it works way better for Plastic Man.

My favorite line in issue 4 is Woozy’s, “…I’ll give it the old Arkham Asylum try!” That’s the spirit, Woozy!

Issue 4 was my favorite Woozy issue.

The artist was so creative in all the different ways Plastic Man was drawn throughout the series.

This was a refreshing and unique pick. Thanks @MattMcDonald

1. This was my first time reading.
  2. Yes, for this character I preferred the quick origin. I’m glad they jumped right into the story without stretching it out (pun intended).
  3. There were many funny moments, but the one that stands out for me is the reveal of his super suit.
  4. The wizard!
  5. It feels like a time capsule for older cartoons. And the jokes and story are still funny.

@JLWWSM

Agreed! This book is still hysterical today, imo. Glad you liked it!!

2 Likes

Love PlasticMan! So enjoyable & so much to learn from him too!
Not my first time with PlasticMan, enjoyed him previously in animation & the current comic issue releases.
Loved how they did his origin, we get to understand he was a criminal gone good & it moves on into the story.
Just read issues 1 & 2 so far, very enjoyable! Thanks! Super Pick!

1 Like

It’s Plas Day!

Just finished it up this morning – overall a pretty fun series, glad I read it.

“Is this your first time reading Plastic Man (1988)?”

Yep – in fact I never even heard of this book until I saw it for the book club!

“Issue 1 opens immediately with the accident that gives Plastic Man his powers. Do you like this quicker approach to an origin story?”

THere’s that more cerebral reader of me who wouldn’t mind seeing the story of how Eel got into the life of crime, I think for the kind of story they were telling, it makes sense to just go straight into it.

“What was the funniest moment?”

For me it was definitely the cult and Atlantis stuff, absolutely the funniest issue of the book.

“What side character(s) would you most like to see a solo book about?”

Woozy, I guess? While I didn’t hate any of the side characters, there wasn’t a lot I would instantly chop at the bit to read more about.

“How do you think this book holds up today?”

Pretty well, I think – this actually feels more like something that, say, Marvel does nowadays with books like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

@Toonatonian

Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it!

@Jay_Kay

Yeah you’re right about it being something like Marvel would do. I love squirrel girl, which is probably why I love this book too!

Just started reading the 2018 series. I’m really enjoying it

Just read the 4 issues before joining the All Star Superman WAL, great fun read! My wife and I still have the ill-fated D’Arc Tangent comic that the writer Phil Foglio drew a few years before this. It was supposed to be 16 issues, was a very very cool concept of an advanced AI robot in medieval times…from there, Phil illustrated the comic book versions of the Myth-Adventures books, then he ended up with gigs like this for DC!

The art very much was reminiscent of the old EC comics humor and Mad Magazine. The humor is solid. The stories and gags are often rooted in the times: example, NYC declared bankrupcy in 1975 and was very much in mind for that last story of the Mayor selling out to get money for the city. We’re all sadly familiar with what happened concerning wild West Coast cults after 1986 (even the mention of alien communication by the cult leader is chilling, Heaven’s Gate tragedy was 11 years later).

The stupidity of the Ooze Brothers eating mutated fish again was haunting as we all consume we know not what these days with miracle food additives that give a bizarre immortality of shelf life - I picked up some brownies last week at Walmart, this is June…the “best by” date is early August!!! Yummy…ps, allergies are surging, where there were almost none when I was growing up in the '60s, some suspect it may be due to the mutated three eyed fish we eat…hahahahahaha

Oops, there I go again daring to actually have a good time a laugh while communicating on the web, apologies to all you serious-minded folk out there.

Rating: golly, at least 9 out of 10 for being true to itself. I do wonderwhat a Plastic Man comic for today should look like. I believe some of you suggested it be like Squirrel Girl, but I’m not so sure.

For some reason I see Plas grouped with Metamorpho and the Metal Men…hmm, two out of three in the currentTerrifics series. It’s no accident that Plastic Man and Metamorpho being on the same team probably helped the Terrifics survive as a comic when all the other “New Age of Heroes” comics series came and went…

Oh I was going to mention the most recent thing I know of that the writer Phil Foglio had written and drawn is Girl Genius, a really fun steampunk story that he and his wife Kaja produce.

1 Like

I knew I recognized that name from somewhere, but I couldn’t place where! Thank you!

1 Like

Finally read this.

DQ’s:

1. Answered in my first post in this thread.

2. I liked the faster approach for Eel getting his powers. Every origin story doesn’t need to be a 12 issue epic.

3. Funniest moment…boy that’s a toughie. The humor in this was right up my alley. Can I just say the whole thing?

They’re not funny, but I did appreciate the Go-Bots and Wall Street references in the first issue.

1. Wooz. I’m sure he’s had his share of shenanigans and a four issue mini like this one would’ve serviced them admirably.

2. I think this volume of Plastic Man holds up very well. The characters are interesting, the humor is solid and so too is the artwork.

This was just as fun to read as an adult as it was when I was a kid. Great pick Matt!

3 Likes

On a sidenote, I also appreciated Kevin Nowlan’s contributions to this series. The guy’s a great talent.

3 Likes