DCU Book Club Week 4: Teen Titans (2003) Issues 1-7

Yeah watching on Roku is becoming highly addictive. who knew I’d sit and watch a silent screen flipping panels…

2 Likes

Wait, what issues reveal Conner is coming back to comics?

@rgardnerv

Not issues, but New York Comic Con News.

I read the whole series on this.

1 Like

This was my first time reading this run, and I absolutely love it. I’ve read 8 issues so far, and for me the best part is just how Johns captures each character’s voice. Conner is my favorite, because he’s not a total rebel or a boy scout like Clark. He has some identity issues, isn’t popular and yet he finds companionship among the Titans. I also like how he finds most of what Superman says to be super corny, but he still has an admiration for him. The whole team is just filled with characters who I love to spend time with, plus the book’s art and action sequences are great. Awesome pick!

4 Likes

@Longhalloween

That’s awesome! I’m over the moon to hear you enjoyed it! I too am a huge Conner fan :slight_smile:

@Longhalloween

That’s awesome! I’m over the moon to hear you enjoyed it! I too am a huge Conner fan :slight_smile:

I hope everyone had a great week! Discussion is now live. Please share what you thought of Teen Titans (2003) 1-7! Keep in mind that discussion lasts all weekend so be sure to stop back by all weekend.

How would you guys rank this specific team compared to other iterations of the Teen Titans? Any team from Comics to Television.

I very much like the interaction between Beastboy and impulse two of my favorite characters

How did you feel about Impulse’s transformation into KF?

Funny I didn’t connect the two characters and I should have. One of my favorite Flashpoint series was the one with Kid Flash being Lost in Time.

I liked this book this week!! I loved the relationship between Superboy and Robin. It reminded me SuperMan and Batman, instead of Superboy being optimistic it was Robin, and Superboy was being the cynical one. I loved the issue the Justice League came!! All in all a good book. Geoff Johns does it again!!

3 Likes

This was my first time reading any Teen Titans comics, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. With the lineup I was getting a bit of a Young Justice feel, too. Always a good thing. I really like how each Titan was dealing with their heritage in a different way and how that brings them together. Conner is dealing with the two aspects of his genetics. Bart is trying to live up to his lineage. Tim wants to carve his own path and not be like Bruce or Dick. And Cassie just wants to have some control and normalcy in her life. All real things people deal with, there’s just superhero battles in between. I definitely think I’ll read the rest of the series that’s available on the app. Good pick!

2 Likes

This was one of the earliest books I read when I was starting to get into comics. So this was definitely a nostalgic read, but one I think holds up well.

The plot is solid, the art is kind of standard, but what makes it stand out are the characters. Tim Drake is a character I can kind of take or leave, but for me this is himat his peak, especially when he interacts with Conner and that iconic “I lie to BATMAN” moment. Conner and Cassie are also great, even if their romance feels kind of cliche. Bart’s transformation feels a little sudden, but it overall works, if not just because I think him as Impulse was a little grating at times.

As for the older cast, more than the cartoon ever did going on at the same time, made me a fan of Starfire. I loved her fiery passion and unyielding loyalty – willing to throw down with the likes of Wonder Woman and Superman for Her friends and kids she’s put under her care; I echoed Bart’s “daaaaamn” at that moment.

Beast Boy was decent – I was surprised on how much of a crazed, kind of harassing horndog he was at the beginning, that they’d still do that even in '03. But that calmed down a lot as the story progressed. Cyborg probably had the least going on with him, since he really showed up around the middle, but he definitely works as leader of the group.

Overall it was a very good arc, and I’ve already started reading through the rest of the series that’s available on the app. I’d like to see the rest of Johns’ run on the book – but that’s it on this volume of the book. After he leaves the book kind of becomes…awful.

1 Like

@darklush

Good catch! Totally didn’t notice the roles were reversed.

1 Like

@jay.period

One of the things I really like about this book is the team feels “real” The problems they deal with is something normal kids deal with as well. Glad you liked it!

2 Likes

Anyone else want to leave some thoughts?

Maybe

It was ok