DCU Book Club Week 36: THE FLINTSTONES (2016) Issues 1-6

Greetings!

Welcome back to DCU Book Club, thanks for dropping by!

This week we are getting to know the modern Stone Age family with Issues 1-6 of The Flintstones (2016). This re-imagining of the classic Hanna-Barbera animated sitcom is penned by Mark Russell, with art from Steve Pugh.

It’s going to be a gay ole’ time!

Spoiler discussion begins right now and lasts until Sunday (5/26). So let us know what you think!

Discussion Questions:

1.) What is your history with The Flintstones franchise?

1. Which reference to the modern day was your favorite? (Character name, business name, etc.)

3.) Which issue was your favorite, and why?

4.) What did you think was the funniest moment?

Also make sure you let us know what you thoughts of this week’s selection as a whole! I can’t wait to hear from you.

If you want to talk about all things DC and other fun stuff DCUBC is on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Want to catch up on our previous discussions? The DCUBC Archive can be found here: https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email Mattcmcd@gmail.com or on Twitter @Mattmcdonald

Yabba Dabba Do!

10 Likes

Wiiiiiiilllmmaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Such a fun pick! Thanks @MattMcDonald

1 Like

Wooo hoooo!

1 Like

stands on his tip toes to the tune of a piano key being tapped again and again

Yabba dabba Dooooooo!

Question 1: My history with The Flintstones:

-watched the show on TBS when I was a kid
-saw the movie The Man Called Flintstone many times when it aired on The Disney Channel in the early 90’s
-watched The Flintstone Kids on TV Saturday mornings on ABC (I loved “Captain Caaaavemaaaaan!”)
-I’ve seen a few episodes of The Pebbles and Bam-Bam Show (where they were grown up) over the years
-I came close to seeing the first live action movie when it was released in theaters but decided not to (same goes for buying the toys based on the movie when they came out; tempting but ultimately a pass)
-The Simpsons episode that opens with Homer getting off work like Fred, singing about himself in his car to the tune of the Flintstones theme song and subsequently running into a chestnut tree is great.
-The Simpsons couch gag with the Flintstones sitting on their couch is also great.
-I thought about reading this comic when it debuted in 2016 but Future Quest was my Hanna-Barbera DC jam at the time, so I didn’t.

I’m very curious to read this!

4 Likes

I was just reminded of another Flintstones reference on The Simpsons:

Bart is in a different class and earns playtime with a toy. He says “Flintstones phone! Flintstones phone!” then runs over to it and turns the dial. Fred comes on and says “Yabba, dabba, doo! I like talking to YOU!” to which Bart smiles with extreme joy.

Okay, back on topic now =)

1 Like
  1. I watched the cartoon. “Bam Bam!!”

I LOVED the “The Jetsons meet the Flintstones” movie.

I loved the Flintstones live action movie. The cast was amazing! Halle Berry rocked her role IMO.

Oh man, I’ve been wanting to read this since seeing bits of this on the internet and thinking “man, this is way too real and emotional to be from THE FLINSTONES of all things.” :smiley:

Like others have said, my history is pretty much watching some of the cartoons and especially the live action movies.

1 Like

Finished just last week. I loved this series. You will care about appliances.

3 Likes

@msgtv More than we’ll believe a man can fly?

1 Like

Just finished Issue #1 - I couldn’t stop smiling and chuckling through the whole thing. I miss this cartoon!

Turtle deliveries =)

1 Like

Issue #1 reminds me of how easy it is to get things wrong when you weren’t there to see what actually happened. Poor Lorenzo (expand the image)

1 Like

Yeah, the first issue really delivers on not just the comedy, but sets up all the themes and critiques on modern society, about art and love and war.

the-flintstones-06.png

1 Like

@Jay_Kay
After Wilma shared her story I felt like Fred in this panel.

2 Likes

@JLWWSM

Both are great reveals. I love that Issue 1 was is bookended in the museum. Poor guy:( just wanted the necklace.

1 Like

Not only will you care about appliances you’ll question everything you thought about the Tree People. You need to look closely at every panel, clever jokes are everywhere.

2 Likes

Want to particular point out a sad funny panel in #3. Joe is waiting on the phone and the recording tells him “your impending suicide is important to us” Russell,does a wonderful job addressing real issues within the flow of the story in a clever way.

2 Likes

@msgtv

Russell is clearly a master of his craft. The way he can take these outrageous stories and make them grounded and relatable is so so good. Snagelpuss is the same way.

The appliances are so so good.

3 Likes

He’s so cute!!!

1 Like

THE LITERAL CUTEST :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m at issue 4. I liked the marriage discussion, it was deep and still fun.

I laughed out loud at this.

1 Like