DCU Book Club Week 36: THE FLINTSTONES (2016) Issues 1-6

This was cute too =)

2 Likes

Bowling Ball is a hero.

3 Likes

Finally read #'s 1 and 2 and Holy Morp, they were a hoot.

My favorite modern day references were Tarpit (their version of Target) and the hipsters.

Wilma’s heading off to try out the dishwasher was funny.

I never much cared for Dino in the main Flintstones show (he was kind of cute in Flintstone Kids though), but he looks so cute here. I’m curious to see what comes of him in later issues.

Time to take my Flintstones vitamins and continue with the reading!

3 Likes

Happy Friday everyone! Make sure you drop by and let us know what you think of this week’s selection! I’ll be here throughout the weekend to chat!

1 Like

@Vroom

Ahhh that’s a good one! I’ll share mine later today when I get home. It got a major chuckle out of me.

I read this month’s ago and remember liking it a lot!

1 Like

All praise be to Peaches!

3 Likes

Big fan of the Bedrock Gravel & Loan. Also a special shout out to Bed-Ex.

1 Like

Page 11 of #5: Bam-Bam giving that jerk of a kid what he deserves. The “FWINNG” sound effect was a nice sizzle on the steak too.

I think #5 may be my favorite of the series. The showdown with the Tree People, Bam Bam’s origin story and the school election. I laughed out loud when the bully punches his reluctant side kick in the beef. I know I shouldn’t laugh at that, but can’t help it. My wife insists Bam Bam was adopted in the show too, I don’t remember.
Vote Clod!

1 Like

WWPW

“Hold Tight! Armored support is on the way!” I said ‘wow’ to myself on this panel - great panel!

@msgtv I liked Bam Bam’s origin story too.

2 Likes

I am amazed at how good this series is.

If anyone else wants some entertaining Mark Russell reads, check out the following:

-Catwoman: Election Night one-shot
-Prez (2015)

Prez is a really fun, out there book. I’m confident enough to say that if you liked Russell’s work on The Flintstones, you’ll enjoy his Prez mini.

1 Like

I’m not crying…

flintstones-6-bowling-ball.png

2 Likes
  1. Which reference to the modern day was your favorite?
    Starbricks Coffee!

2. Which issue was your favorite, and why?
    Issue 4 - The marriage retreat and marriage discussions were both funny and gave a good lens to view the topic.
    Issue 6 - I like everything in the science cave: the professors, interns, moths, incorrect calculations, etc.

3. What did you think was the funniest moment?
    Everything that happens with the appliances is gold throughout the issues. The turtle delivery in #1 was the funniest moment for me.

Great pick @MattMcDonald. I enjoyed this trip to the stone age =)

3 Likes

Finished #6. Yet another fun issue.

In addition to Tarpit, another nifty prehistoric analogue I dug was Starbricks. I haven’t been to a Starbucks in years, but I appreciated the clever turn of phrase nonetheless.

Favorite issue: Hmm, tough choice. Probably #6. The science stuff was alot of fun.

I’m eager to read the rest of this series. I’m curious how the Great Gazoo (a favorite of mine from the TV series) will factor into the forthcoming proceedings.

A wonderful pick Matt!

1 Like

When bowling ball explained what life was like as a bowling ball I laughed, but I also felt bad for him. Poor bowling ball :laughing:.

2 Likes

I felt sorry for the goats that were used as sledgehammers in Slate’s quarry.

I know they have thickened skulls to protect their brains, but after a day’s work of Headbanger’s Ball (hello classic MTV!), they’d probably want a giant bottle of “Aspirin for Goats”.

Mr. Slate reminded me of Fred Rutherford from TV’s Leave it to Beaver. They look alike, are very bossy and are quite full of themselves to the degree of where they see other people as beneath them. In truth, they’re both belligerent jackasses.

Related:

https://youtu.be/cg6RzbUlv0s

1 Like

@JLWWSM Bowling ball is so sweet. I’m partial to Vacuum cleaner. It was so sad that he was stuck in the closet all by himself :pleading_face:

2 Likes

@Vroom

I wonder what would be on the menu at Starbricks :face_with_monocle:

1 Like