DCU Book Club Week 30: LOBO (1990) Issues 1-4

Weird Worlds was a fun mini. So too was the modern volume of My Greatest Adventure which featured Robotman in place of Lobo.

1 Like

Given Loboā€™s propensity for space dolphins (and possibly dolphins in general, whether heā€™d admit it or not) this tune just came to mind:

https://youtu.be/DiVjjh3di_Q

I could see a scene in a comic, movie or TV show where Lobo is amongst dolphins and the above song is playing.

Oh hey @PrincessAmethyst!

Glad you could join us this week!

I too loved that snobby old teacher! She was a great contrast to Lobo. Her report card was too good.

Itā€™s good to hear from you! Hope youā€™re doing well!

2 Likes

Tsk Tsk!

What was your favorite of the groups after Lobo and Miss Tribb?

And why was it the legion of Decency? :wink:

2 Likes

@JayKay

The answer is always fragginā€™ Lobo, man!

1 Like

The legion of Decency are my spirit animals :wink:

4 Likes

What was your first interaction with the character Lobo?
-I have vague memories of seeing him on an older animated TV show. It was probably Superman TAS.

What issue was your favorite? What was your favorite part?
-Issue 1 was my favorite issue. I loved the moment when the League of Decency decided to come out of retirement. Also, I liked Lobo screaming into the universe at the end of issue 1 due to Miss Tribbā€™s nagging.

How did you feel about this book only being 4 issues? Too short?
-It felt right to me. It was a fun story.

Lastly, throughout the book we got several looks throughout Loboā€™s early years, which one stood out to you?
-Loboā€™s 4th grade report card was hilarious!

I really enjoyed the art in this series. Great pick @MattMcDonald!

4 Likes

Thanks guys! Book clubs are great. Bookmarked.

4 Likes

@DCDerek

Thanks! Hope to see ya around!

Discussion lasts until Sunday so make sure you drop in and chat with us about the main man!

:heart:

1 Like

Man, I am so overloaded right now with stuff to read and no time. The art style reminded me of Sandman. Lobo totally looks like Morpheusā€¦ I appreciated reading this because Lobo is coming to Krypton. That being said Lobo felt too human. Heā€™s a space assassin. Itā€™s weird to watch him singing Karaoke and messing with a baseball bat.

That being said, fun fact Lobo loves dolphins and even goes to Earth at one point in an Aquaman Series to kill some people being mean to dolphins.

Oh man, Lobo/Sandman. Now thatā€™s a combo I never would have thought of and love it. Iā€™m picturing Lobo ā€œfraggingā€ Morpheus and having to pretend heā€™s the Sandman to try to get out of dodge. Someone would throw that plot nugget at Neil Gaiman, see what happens. :joy:

Iā€™m elated that Lobocop is coming here this Monday! Iā€™ve never read it but have always wanted to.

ā€œThe future of fragging enforcementā€.

Lobo just flippinā€™ ROCKS!

1 Like

I didnā€™t know Lobocop was a thing now I canā€™t wait to read it

Well, I had a lengthy comment to add to the discussion but the app closed on me when I was nearly done. Iā€™m not going to write it again. So Iā€™ll leave you with this.

Iā€™ve seen Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies before at the same concert. Iā€™ve also seen Slayer and Motƶrhead at a concert together.

Lobo is metal :metal:

2 Likes

Finished #'s 3 and 4 earlier today.

Discussion points:

-favorite part: Can I say the whole thing? If not, then the spelling bee. Those judges sure were fanatical in their devotion to proper spelling.

I was in spelling bees when I was a kid and thank goodness you just got a buzz from a judge if you were wrong. Whew!

-Loboā€™s early delinquency: The second report card. I loved that!

Great fragginā€™ choice for Book Club Matt!

2 Likes

This was one of my favorite moments. Lobo in vacation clothes is hilarious

1 Like

I forgot to add the image - here it is!

1 Like

I have a feeling Lobo in vacation threads influenced the STAS team pretty, pretty heavily.

2 Likes

Thanks @Vroom!

That spelling bee was so fun! I love how towards the end Lobo didnā€™t want to risk it so he just sabotaged the guy next to him. Too funny.

1 Like