DCU Book Club Week 30: LOBO (1990) Issues 1-4

I wonder if he and Steve Gerber were buddies?

Iā€™d pay good money to sit at a table and chat with Gerber, Giffen, DeMatteis and Alan Grant. Imagine the discussionsā€¦

4 Likes

@Vroom

That would be amazing :drooling_face:

Sadly, Gerber passed away several years ago but it would be fun to go hanginā€™ with the other homies. Giffen especially.

Could someone please repost the talking points? The original post is cutoff on my iPad.

1 Like

My first introduction to Lobo would have been Justice League Action & he is fabulous in it! Lobo is my brothers favorite. I snagged him a set at Comic Con 2 years ago & keep forgetting to pass it along to himā€¦ Now where did I put thoseā€¦ [wonders off to find those old hard copies to see what she hasā€¦] :motorcycle:

1 Like

I saw a comic for 99 cents with a killer cover and I was never the same.

2 Likes

@batmite267 hereā€™s one versionā€¦or use a PC to view above

2 Likes

@batmite

Weird, not showing up on my iPad either, thanks for handling that @don-el

2 Likes

What. A. Perfect. Book! Lobo is and will always be a badass so having just four issues was enough and more wouldā€™ve belabored the point that he is firstly a killing machine.
First remember as a kid seeing Superman TAS and Lobo ā€œthe main manā€ having his kidnapping plans go sideways. Amazing no one, he enjoyed the gassing and guzzling alcoholā€¦for a time but then all hell broke loose and Supes and him teaming up was funny.
This book helped to show how he could be on one side of an issue all the while standing on each opposing side whether the mood moved him. He has justification for all his moves and Iā€™m beginning to sound like a shrink lol all in all good times to be had with Lobo! One of the things that managed to surprise me was his Czarnian past coming from a peaceful utopia! Genius. Four fragginā€™ stars :star::star::star::star:

2 Likes

One of my favorite Lobo lines ever:

ā€œBelt?ā€

The first time I learned of Lobo was a life size cardboard cut-out my brother-in-law brought home from a comic book shop. I just thought he looked awesome. Then I eventually got to read the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special and I thought it was hilarious (because I was like 10, lol) Then I picked up ā€œLobo-copā€ and loved it.

My Lobo recommendations are:

His first monthly series, Lobo
Lobo-cop
Lobo annual #2 Elseworlds (old west)
Lobo: Contract on Gawd
Lobo/the Mask

1 Like

Wow! Finished book 1. I hadnā€™t heard of his birth & planet. & Wow! Just WOW. I enjoyed him before just cause. Now, I am gaining an entirely expanded glimpse into his being. It all so makes sense now. Thanks for the tiny push :hugs: BOOK CLUB! :hugs:

1 Like

@Zombedy

Thanks for the recommendations! Added them to my wishlist!

@Toonatonian
No Problem! So glad you liked it

1 Like

@Don-El Thanks my friend! I look forward to participating in the discussion. Lobo is one of my favs! I own 2 copies of his first appearance in Omega Men #3.

@MattMcDonald It happens frequently. Iā€™ve notified app support.

1 Like

@JayKay

The art is what dragged me in too. Iā€™m also not a big Lobo fan. I picked the book up on a whim and the art hooked me.

Iā€™d love to see more stories about those space grannies. They sure were something else!

2 Likes

Knowing why this is only four issues, I must ask: Lobo vs Jesus, who wins? :joy:

A draw. It ends with them riding through the stars on space dolphins.

1 Like

I am almost done with book three of the mini-series. The mini-series encapsulates everything about being a kid in the 90ā€™s. The humor, edge, whatever. I dig the universe and zany characters. Hopefully, more Lobo will be added!

2 Likes

First time getting to answer any book club questions. I read all this in one sitting O_o Knowing my life right now, that was a feat unto itself.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

What was your first interaction with the character Lobo?

There was a mini-series called ā€œWeird Worldsā€ with a character named Tanga in it. I fell in love with that character, but Lobo was one of the characters featured in his own stories within it. It has been awhile since I read it, but I remember it being good.

What issue was your favorite? What was your favorite part?

The first issue was by far my favorite because I loved the fact that it ended up being this little old teacher lady from his past. It also brought in these hysterical little old ladies, which I wondered if they were a nod to the comic code at all. I also loved the ending of the first issue when they are going into space, but the teacher asks why canā€™t Lobo be a good boyā€¦ Cause Lobo isnā€™t a good boy granny, come on. It was a fun moment though.

How did you feel about this book only being 4 issues? Too short?

Honestly, it wasnā€™t too short for me. Mainly because while I enjoyed some of the moments, specifically with the teacher, for the most part I found myself not really drawn to the Lobo character. This made me feel like parts of of dragged on for me. I just couldnā€™t get into it, but what I enjoyed was trying out something that I normally wouldnā€™t have considered reading on my own. The opportunity to see a potential character that someone else enjoys was fascinating to me, so I am looking forward to seeing otherā€™s opinion on the book.

Lastly, throughout the book we got several looks throughout Loboā€™s early years, which one stood out to you?

Because I liked the teacher probably the most, I enjoyed when we saw the report cards. The contrast between the one from the teacher and the one Lobo made got me to chuckle. It also helped me to push through that issue. It created a distinct moment for me, where I could see the humor laced into the series. For the vast majority, I just felt like it was a violent series, but when I got to that I finally got that it was just a comedic romp. I would still say I wasnā€™t like the biggest fan, but by that point I understood the 4 issues better.

3 Likes