DCU Book Club Week 23: Red Hood: The Lost Days (2010-) Issues 1-6

You should read the new young justice comics

@TurokSonOfStone1950 Hello! Regarding Huntress, I’ve made a note. Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

@Youngjusticeforever “most of them never listen to him” - haha! Yeah, the Robins tend to do their own thing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the question of the week!

2 Likes

LOL I just speak sped read this, I thought it was saying “DCU Book Club: The lost days”…

I guess that’ll be in a few years from now hahaha

1 Like

Eager to start the spoiler discussion this afternoon. This was a good read.

4 Likes

@Don-El

That will be our gritty reboot

2 Likes

@Matt, will it be dark and gritty or just gritty?

1 Like

:mega: Our spoiler discussion has officially kicked off and lasts throughout the weekend! :mega:

Please feel free to respond to any or all of the questions in the original post. Also, copied and pasted here:

1. Talia is a complex character. Pick one or more of her actions in the story and share what you think motivated her action(s).

2. In issue 6, page 16, do you believe Jason Todd gave an honest answer to the “Why then?” question? Why or why not?

3. As always, what are your thoughts about the story? Did any moments or characters standout to you?

1 Like

Regarding question #5: the Burton Batmobile sure stood out. That was a great surprise!

I’ll have to ruminate on the other questions.

5 Likes

I really enjoy reading the origins of Red Hood, from the time Jason Todd came back to life and just before he became a Red Hood! I find myself asking when does he become a Red Hood? My favorite part of the story is in the 2nd issue where we see the Batmobile, it was a 1989 Batman’s Batmobile, I just love looking at it. And I was also thrill to see The Penguin in a small cameo panel, I was hoping to see more of him.
Ok back to Jason, what I find interesting is that for someone who suppose to be Turning into a bad guy still have some good in him, he was a bit more of a hero then a villain. In the last issue he had his chance to kill the Joker but back out, I do believe him on why he didn’t kill the Joker. I think it’s sad that he blame Batman for his death when it was his own fault, if you read Death In A Family, Batman did tell him to wait, he never listened to Batman.
It was a great story can’t wait to read next week book club. :grinning:

3 Likes

@Vroom, yes! Apparently the Batmobile has a weakness. I was panicking watching Jason exploit that weakness.

2 Likes

@Reaganfan78 Great points! Yeah, seeing him struggle with being “bad” or “good” was very entertaining. I’m glad you liked the story :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anything with jason in it is a good comic :3

1 Like

Excited to start the last issue hopefully sometime today (I’ve been working and also sick :face_with_thermometer:)but I wasn’t really feeling the book.

Until I got to issue 5. I’m all in now. It’s clicked with me now and I’m stoked to finish it!

3 Likes

I’m a little behind this week. hope I can finish it but it might not happen…

2 Likes

@MattMcDonald, the cliffhanger at the end of #5 made me stop and stare at the panel. I hope you get well soon!

@Nathan.Payson No worries :blush:

2 Likes

Just finished this week’s DCUBC weekly selection. I thought that Red Hood: The Lost Days (2010), Issues 1-6 were all exteremly solid, and great comic books. The art was really good, and the writing was incredible. What i like is so unique about this origin is that a majority of the writing comes from the thoughts of Jason. Like in issue 5 or 6 when he had to difuse the bomb, and he forgot his gun so he had to defend himself, fists against guns, we could see the thoughts of Jason throughout the entire time. The thing that bothered me the most was the fact that he had so much hatred toward Batman. I KNOW THAT’S HOW THE STORY IS SUPPOSED TO BE, but i like Robin as Batman’s sidekick, but that’s just me. I was also hoping for a bit more Joker or some more Batman and Robin flashbacks. Anyway, if i were to rate this outta 10, it would be maybe a 8/10. Great couple of issues!!

1. One of Talia’s actions that i think was her to choose not to kill The Batman, but to i guess, torcher him. Batman wants to protect Gotham, and he can’t do it with another, better hero doing his job. It was a really smart tactic by Talia to get revenge for the death of her father.

2. I don’t think he gave an honest answer. We are all human, and we feel sorry for the pain cause by other to others, and we feel bad for the pain we cause to others. Jason knows that killing is bad, he just doesn’t wanna show his soft side.

3. (Basically the essay i wrote above).

P.S. Love the new format with the questions! Really makes you think about the story more! Keep doing it!!! :grimacing:
My gosh i need to stop writing essays lol

3 Likes

@FlashPoint0909
Essays are very welcome in book club, as long as they’re on topic (and yours are :slight_smile: . In fact, I’m about to write one too in a few moments.

I loved your post, and I want to especially call out “unique about this origin is that a majority of the writing comes from the thoughts of Jason” - that’s a great point!

Regarding the “honest answer”, I agree with you - details in my soon-to-be-posted essay.

P.S. I’m glad to hear you like the format. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like
  1. Talia is a complex character. Pick one or more of her actions in the story and share what you think motivated her action(s).

Talia is the living example of the phrase “It’s a thin line between love and hate”. At the beginning of the story she was in love with Batman, and by the end of the story she was sleeping with his adopted son for vengeance. I STILL don’t know what Talia really wants.

1 Like
  1. In issue 6, page 16, do you believe Jason Todd gave an honest answer to the “Why then?” question? Why or why not?

I don’t think JT told the truth; I think he wanted to look tough for Talia. I think he didn’t kill the Joker because (1) he’s not really mad at the Joker, he’s mad at Batman and (2) he’s still a “good guy”; throughout the series he’s struggling with how to fight - fight clean (don’t kill) or fight dirty (kill). The Joker even taunted JT for hesitating to kill him (see picture).

2 Likes
  1. My Reactions
    Issue #1
    The panel of Talia when she’s asking if Batman is “alright” is beautiful. The art conveys her emotional concern, while still maintaining her confident look.
    The main message I got from this issue is Talia loves Batman, and Ra’s Al Ghul has a level of respect for Batman.

Issue #2
I felt panicked through this issue. JT is a Batman ally-turned-enemy and I was terrified for Batman. JT knows way too much about Bruce - all the tricks and Bat-weaknesses (apparently they exists, like the Batmobile’s weakness).

Issue #3
Ok, now it got real. I rooted sooo hard for JT to save the kids. I “fell for it” and thought Jason Todd would be over-confident and physically attack his trainer. So I was pleasantly surprised at the poisoned drink reveal. Also, does Jason Todd “Murder” villains or “put reptiles [villains] down”?

Issue #4
JT privately crying at the pictures of the new Robin was powerful panel and moment. I appreciated seeing JT make a mistake. He’s not perfect, he’s still learning, he makes rookie mistakes.

Issue #5
The last survivor (the mobster) claimed to know a LOT of intel that would be very helpful in saving people and making the world a better place. So WHY was JT still planning to kill the Russian Mobster - until he mentioned the Joker?

Issue #6
Ewwwwwww JT and Talia! It just felt…. wrong, yuck, no!
JT revealed Batman’s identity??? NOOOOOO!!!
The ending was strong, I loved the parallel to Joker.

Overall, I was entertained and liked the series because it showed a different view of what I typically think of for the “Robins”. I will certainly read more Red Hood.

1 Like