DCU Book Club Week 20: STARMAN (1994) Issues 0-5

52 comics in a week??? Are ypu MAD Vroom??? Honey, I feel the big one coming on…

5 Likes

Lessee…read it in the lead up to the 52nd week of the club? Like six or seven issues a week?

I’m no math whiz but with six issues per week, multiplied by four weeks in the average month equates to twenty four issues in a month. Double that and your at 48 issues for two months. Plop on the final four and it would take just over two months to read it.

Maybe read the World War III tie-in mini instead?

In any event, you can’t fault my ambition :wink:

1 Like

Hahahaha. @Vroom , for sure I enjoyed reading it week by week when 52 first was insanely published with no hiccups weekly for 12 months straight, along with many of the tie ins!!!

1 Like

They’ve never missed a scheduling beat on the weekly/bi-weekly books. I’ve enjoyed all of them.

1 Like

I would love to read Sandman Mystery Theater I know it was a vertigo book an has much more mature material but it can not be denied it is one DC’s greatest comic book runs .
Some of there lesser know works
Unknown Solider
Haywire
Blue Devil
Firestorm
Crisis on Infinite Earths
More New Gods

1 Like

@doc_avenger

Sadly it seems like outside the early Vertigo works (Saga of the Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, soon Morrison’s Animal Man), I doubt we’ll see much from that imprint. I get the feeling that it has something to do with rights management – those who created characters there had more creative control in their contracts and all.

A lot of those suggested are on Comixology Unlimited, however.

hey can i join

Hi @superdccoolkid! You absolutely can join! Everyone is welcome :slight_smile:

Read STARMAN (1994) Issues 0-5, then from Friday (Feb. 1st) at 5pm EST through Sunday (Feb. 3rd), add your comments about the book to this thread, and join the discussion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Superdccoolkid

Looks like @JLWWSM already let ya know how to join! Just wanted to pop in and say I hope we see you at the discussion this weekend!

Great suggestions everyone! Writing them all down as we speak! Y’all rock!

:heart:

Reminder: Discussion begins tomorrow at 5 PM EST! See ya then!

Bubble

Mods I love love love Starman and have the entire run collected in singles. I really found Mr. Robinson’s letter columns to be a really intriguing insight into the mind frame that helped the author create the story. Are those letter columns something I could share here for those following this thread?

If you included them in the digital issues already kudos!!

From a discussion stand point. I learned about Starman when I started listening to old episodes of Comic Geek Speak and never has a series hit me as hard as this one.

First off the whole nostalgic and collectors mentality of the main character is something I can extremely relate to. Both my brother and I are avid collectors of video games comics and board games. It’s the hallmark that defines our relationship and a major reason I consider him my best friend.

Also when I started reading Starman I had recently lost my father to cancer and the heavy father son dynamics in this book really helped me reflect and heal during my time of loss.

On a significantly less serious note. The JSA is the best team in the DC Universe and with out Starman I would have never started reading JSA.

Great selection for this weeks club!!

Now I need a hug.

2 Likes

@Gregor

So sorry for your loss. Here’s a big ole DC Universe Book Club digital hug!

Thank you for dropping by and sharing that with us.

:heart:

3 Likes

Spoiler discussion has begun! What do you think of this week’s book?

2 Likes

This is my third read in about the past 15 years and I keep thinking, why aren’t I re-reading this more often. I first read it before having kids, and and still being angry at my deadbeat dad. I loved it, the the heavy father/son dynamic @Gregor mentions (hugs btw) didn’t really resonate with me. The second time I read it was after both my sons had been born and it felt almost like a completely different read. I saw it from a different perspective and enjoyed even more. It actually made me a little misty more than a few times. Issue 5 really reminded me that. Seeing Jack interacting with David, just like most brothers, really brought back some feels.

3 Likes

Here is the letter from the author in issue 0. It really provides some great insight into the motivations for writing the series and ultimately what accomplishments the author wanted to meet.

Mods if this is violating any copy rights please take it down that was not my intention.

@Gregor

Either the mods dejected the photo, or it didn’t go through, and I don’t know if they have that kind of power.

I tried to host it from my Google Drive, is there a prefer way to add images on DCU? First time I tried to upload one so sorry for the post fail! :stuck_out_tongue: