DCU Book Club Week 11: ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN Issues 1-6

Paul Pope #2

AIFFZ6t.gif

( 6:25 p.m. eastern time Sunday…let’s see how long these particular posts last)

@Don-El

Nice catch!

1 Like

I just realized Paul Pope is also a writer / artist like Patrick Gleason also there’s a Paul Pope Batman series here called Batman Year 100 I believe

Issue #4! Enter Deathstroke, too cool! Damian shows here that he is a combination of Robins in many ways: he has the toughness of Jason Todd and the computer smarts of Tim Drake.! A very logical battle and conclusion with Deathstroke.

The three Egyptian pharoah hearts in jars reminded me very much of the King Tut Tomb tour I got to walk through when it was in Philadelphia around 2008. While the well-preserved toy sail boats and board games were awesome, the bizarre darkly-colored jars full of pharoah guts was kinda scary; there was all kinds of “religion” and spells etc tied in with all that. Those of you familiar with the story of Moses vs Pharoah’s magicians may recall that they could duplicate the first one or two miracles…

And once again, I see traces of Paul Pope with this panel by Patrick Gleason of Maya (Nobody II):

And here is more Paul Pope this time from DCU, Batman Year 100 Issune #1 …so am I delusional, or do these styles seem super similar? Common influences perhaps, but keep in mind both are writer / artists, and there just aren’t that many out there doing both.

Issue #5 Robin Son of Batman: I’m posting a favorite scene here, love the line, the action, the vision of this, but also love the Kirby tribute style! I am loving that Robin / Damian finally is being faced with the sad fact that even if you try to do those steps 8 and 9 of a 12 step program, you really can’t reverse the damage done by your wrong actions.

1 Like

Issue #6, which concludes this particular storyline of attempting to reverse what was done during the Year of Blood, gets to the moral of this story. Trying to right his wrongs is now dropped, and instead a healthier less self-centered ideal is embraced: step back and give the other person a chance to evolve and grow as a person where possible. Instead of judging them in some final way, whether that be what Damian did to Maya’s dad, or by shutting someone completely out of your life forever to punish them, walk away and give them some space for a bit.

Once again, when it comes to drawing the ladies of this series, Patrick Gleason sure likes to lean heavy on the Japanese Manga style as Paul Pope does:

aEf0Osy.jpg

My final rating on the first six issues of Robin: Son of Batman written and drawn by Patrick Gleason is a 9 out of 10; greatly agree with the moral backstory and the story logic holds nicely. Being a fan for decades of Jack Kirby and Paul Pope definitely tilts my rating as well!

Matt, so you got a chance to finish it?

(Looks like you did)

1 Like

@Don-el, you get extra credit points for connecting all of the art “dots”

1 Like

@Don-El

I did! Really enjoyed it as well! I’ll think I’ll keep reading if I get the time!

1 Like

I’m late to reading these and just starting. I’m not at all familiar with Damian. Is there anything currently on DCU that gives an origin story for Damian and how he became Robin?