DCU Book Club Week 100 (!) Superman: Brainiac Aug. 10 - Aug. 16

Decades ago, Krypton went to war with Brainiac, a cold and callous alien obsessed with the control of knowledge. Superman believes he’s faced Brainiac before, but he’s about to learn the truth behind his close encounters as he heads down the road to his greatest triumph…and greatest tragedy.

Greetings!

100 weeks!! @JLWWSM and I have run this thing for 100 whole weeks! That’s so crazy, i can hardly believe it. Thank you all so much for joining in over the last (Almost!!!) 2 years. Really, We love talking comics and DC with all of you. Thank you for allowing us to continue to do so.

Anyways, in honor of this, we are going back and (re)covering our first ever book! Superman: Brainiac. This fantastic book was voted on Week 1 of DCUBC. So wether you were hear way back when, or this is your first week with us, i hope you enjoy it. Thanks as always for stopping by.

How to join the fun:

*Start reading here! (DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse)

• :alarm_clock:Read all Five issues between 2020-08-10T05:00:00Z2020-08-16T05:00:00Z :alarm_clock:

• :memo:Tackle the below discussion questions at your leisure:memo:

• :speaking_head:Let us know what you thought of the book as a whole!:speaking_head:

And that’s it! Easy right?

:batman_hv_1:Spoiler discussion begins right now!:superman_hv_1:

:clark_hv_1:Discussion Questions:clark_hv_5:

• Is this your first time reading Superman: Brainiac?

• What were your expectations prior to reading?

• What did you think of our villain, Brainiac?

• What was your favorite Page or Panel?

Questions, comments, concerns? Feel Free to shoot me a message!

You can find more info on DCUBC Here!

9 Likes

Congrats on 100th week! :partying_face: :dancer: :tada: :confetti_ball:

Oh Snap! Secret Origins is in my top 5 favorite Superman stories. Johns and Frank are probably my favorite team to have working on a comic. Meant to join in on The Button. That and Johns Doomsday Clock have been the best thing to come out of Rebirth for me. Again congrats on week 100, will be back to comment on Brainiac.

3 Likes

Congrats to you both @MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM! 100 weeks is an achievement. I am proud of you both. Trying to remember if I joined up during that first week or not, either way I am totally going to join up again this week simply due to feelings of nostalgia for the early days of the community. Looking forward to it! Again congratulations on reaching 100 weeks of the best darn book club on DCU! Love and light to you both always.

4 Likes

@CassTheStreet

Thank you! :heart: That means so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

YESSSSS.

Frank is hands down one of my favorite Super Hero artists.

2 Likes

:partying_face: :100:

Party time!

It’s been an amazing journey through 100 titles! And a pleasure to work with @MattMcDonald and to hear everyone’s comments, thoughts, and insights on the books. We couldn’t do it without you!

Cheers!

I’m looking forwarding to reading Supes and Brainiac! :blue_heart: :superman_hv_1:

3 Likes

Thank you so much @CassTheStreet - and love and light right back at cha’! :blue_heart:

3 Likes

a.

4 Likes
  • No I think it’s my 4th or 5th.

• Being from John and Frank I expected it to be amazing, it was.

• Best version of the character.

• Such a hard question LOL. I will return with some of my favorite moments good sir. I will say that if we were only given Superman stories from these two in this canon I would be completely satisfied with that. I will never have enough of superman looking like Reeve and being written by John. :superman_hv_1:

3 Likes

This is one of those perfect stories to give to someone who doesn’t get the appeal of Superman.

1 Like

Congrats on hitting 100 entries! Very awesome achievement. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: <3

This cover gets me every damn time. You’re absolutely right.

Um no! I’ve never heard this!

3 Likes

100% Agreed. Johns and Frank just nailed the look and feel of supes here.

3 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats to JLWWSM and MattMcDonald on 100 entries. Good job!!!

2 Likes

a.

Congrats on 100 weeks of curated comics selections.

Here’s the next 100!

2 Likes

Yes, this was my first read and I loved it. It is also my first time commenting here. Congratulations on 100 weeks!

I didn’t have expectations. Except that Superman is my favorite character. I’ve liked the other interactions he’s had with Brainiac that I’ve seen. So, I knew I’d probably love it.

Brainiac is effective as a villain — I don’t like him.

The panel with Superman holding Kandor and Metropolis, standing on Brainiac and saying, “Welcome to Earth, Brainiac.”

The end though. :cry: Plus, I wanted to know what happens next

2 Likes

Yes first time reading this series.

My expectations were an awesome story between Superman and Brainiac and I was not let down.

Brainiac was creepy, scary, and down right everything great with a villain that can challenge Superman.

My favorite panel was when either Clark’s or Supergirl’s interaction with Cat Grant.

Thank you @MattMcDonald and @JLWWSM. Congratulations on 100 weeks of Book club. I may not have been here from the start but I’m so glad I found this club and have enjoyed the weekly read-a-longs with everybody and continue to look forward to seeing what stories we will read next. Here’s to the next 100 weeks and beyond.

3 Likes

Thank you!! :grinning:

Can’t have supes partaking in the devils nectar I suppose. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes