DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 65 POISON IVY: CYCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH (2016) #1-6, Dec 9 - Dec 15

”Life. Death. Poison Ivy has power over both. But can she keep her friends and hold down a regular job at the same time? As Dr. Pamela Isley, she joins the prestigious plant sciences department at Gotham Botanical Gardens, but things quickly get complicated when a fellow scientist is murdered and it looks like the work of Ivy. Don’t miss the start of this new 6-issue miniseries!"

Greetings DCU :wave:

Thanks for dropping in! It’s our Girl Power! week here at dcubc dcubc-girl-power.

This week, we’ll spend time with Dr. Pamela Isley, AKA, Poison Ivy. :woman_health_worker: :seedling: :biohazard:

“Whether antihero, ecoterrorist, or femme fatale, Dr. Pamela Lillian Isley uses her scientific genius to champion all plant life… Dr. Pamela Lillian Isley first appeared in First Appearance: BATMAN vol. 1 #181, 1966” - DCU Encyclopedia/Poison Ivy.

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, December 9, 2019 and Sunday, December 15, 2019.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: POISON IVY: CYCLE OF LIFE AND DEATH (2016), Issues 1-6 :books:

:seedling: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death?

2. A few iconic characters appear for supporting roles in this story, who was your favorite appearance?

3. Who did you suspect was the mystery killer? If you figured out the mystery killer before it was revealed, what clued you in?

4. What was your favorite moment or panel?

5. Do you want to see the CP Kids in other DC stories? Or do you prefer them in just this mini-series?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

:clapper: You can catch Poison Ivy now on DC Universe’s original series, Harley Quinn

1 Like

Bookmarked!

Ben curious about this for a while! Read the first issue and like it, it has a good hook. One page did bother me.

I get that sexism is sadly still a thing, but would being a woman really be what would be a detriment for Pamela to work in her old field again, or wold it be her being a former freaking supervillain? That page might work for her in an origin story, but I highly doubt anyone in the field, especially in Gotham wouldn’t know who Pamela Isley is and changing initials wouldn’t work.

1 Like

Hi Jay_Kay!
Well… she is wearing glasses. And one thing we know from Clark Kent is that glasses are capable of hiding people’s true identify. :wink:

2 Likes

yay!

2 Likes

I’ve been needing to read this story because it had come up in the backlash against Ivy’s appearance in “The War of Jokes and Riddles.”

My thoughts?

1. This was a fantastic story that really sold the sympathetic reading of Ivy.

2. The people who whined at Tom King were ridiculous. She is killing left and right here!

1 Like

Hi @AlexanderKnox!

I had to very carefully word discussion question #3 because of :arrow_up:. I was going to simply ask who did you suspect was the killer, but she is also a killer, so I had add the “mystery” adjective to differentiate between her and the mystery part of this story.

1 Like

I want to start off by saying that I really enjoyed this miniseries! As for question #5 I really hope they bring the CP kids into the new Harley Quinn show! Ivy already has a major role in the show and I feel like it would be hilarious to see how Harley would react if Ivy’s kids were to make an appearance even if they don’t go too deep into the story behind them.

1 Like

Welcome @md.vigilante!

I’m happy you enjoyed it :smiley:

:exploding_head: That is an awesome idea and I would love to see that! They would be so much fun!

2 Likes

I agree!

1. First time
  2. Swamp Thing
  3. Had no idea
  4. When Ivy delivered the sporlings
  5. Curious to see what happens to them. Interesting they’re just floating around out there.
2 Likes

Hi @A7sus4

That image is one that sticks with me. Seeing a baby delivered from a plant is not something I see every day, or ever.

Swamp Thing was a fun surprise! Thanks so much for joining and sharing with us!

1 Like

Excited to check this one out! Hoping it really :seedling: GROWS :seedling: on me :relieved:

3 Likes

Ugh. Here’s my like. Now make like a tree…and get out of here. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Will try to read this today or tomorrow

1 Like

Is this your first time reading Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death?

Yes – in fact, I got this thing on digital trade on sale a while back, before everything got uploaded to DCU, so this was definitely good to get me to finally get my money’s worth from it. :sweat_smile:

A few iconic characters appear for supporting roles in this story, who was your favorite appearance?

I’ll go with Catwoman, because she felt the most like herself and she played a role in the plot of the story. I would have said Harley, normally, but she felt…off to me.

I don’t know if maybe it’s because I’m used to them together in the Harley Quinn series (where the continuity of it is…nebulous, at best), but I didn’t really get the reason why the two were in conflict. It really just felt more like an excuse to keep Harley out of the book, which, while understandable in terms of giving Ivy her own story, it just felt like an awkward way to go about it.

Who did you suspect was the mystery killer? If you figured out the mystery killer before it was revealed, what clued you in?

I can’t say I did, though once it was revealed, I could definitely see the clues that I missed. Chu definitely crafted a good mystery story.

What was your favorite moment or panel?

Considering there was a sad lack of it for a while, I’ll partially say anything from Clay Mann. It’s funny, when it was revealed that there was going to be a delay for the Batman/Catwoman maxi with King and Mann so he can draw all the issues, I thought it was weird it would take that long to do. Then I read this and saw the difficulty he had doing a six issue mini and thought “Fair play, take your time.”

Do you want to see the CP Kids in other DC stories? Or do you prefer them in just this mini-series?

I wouldn’t be mad if I ever saw them in another story, but I’m not eager for one, and I don’t think I would necessarily seek them out. They were okay for the role they had in the story, but there wasn’t really a lot about them as characters that made me interested in them.

1 Like

Hi @LK3185
Awesome, thanks for us know. I hope to hear your thoughts on the book!

Hey there!

My Bat-detective skills were completely off in this story. I did not figure out the mystery killer until it was revealed, then I was like ooohhh, right, why didn’t I see that coming?!

Catwoman was a fun addition to the story. I really liked the issue that featured her.

I love when book clubs cover books I bought, but didn’t get a chance to read. I’m happy you finally got a chance to read it.

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts on the book!

1 Like