DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 61: THE DARING NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL (1982-) #1-3, Nov 11- Nov 17

Heh, it’s funny, I never thought any of the neighbors were villains, I just took them as sitcom fodder.

I’ll definitively keep going, especially after you telling me the Doom Patrol makes an appearance – how can I pass that up?!

2 Likes

The problem with this book club is I too often end up needing to read the rest of the series and my backlog of comics grows. I had to restart Injustice from the beginning, still working through House of Mystery, now a gotta add this series. It’s like it’s a plot or something

4 Likes

Hi @msgtv

We are focused on exploring a wide variety of titles offered on the service. It is up to each individual to decide if they want to continue the series. Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

We host the discussion of full series through #dcubc-epics.

If you have questions, comments or concerns about #dcubc please reach to @MattMcDonald or me directly.

Thank you

Finished the trio a day or so ago. Now let’s talk questions! puts on his “I :heart: DQ” hat

1. No, not my first time. As I mentioned previously, I’ve read this series before but it was years and years ago.

2. I don’t know if I’d say Linda “charmed” me. Sure, she’s nice and friendly but it was a bit too “Gee golly, what a sunny day Mr. Sun! I hope the woodland critters will indulge me in a sing-along.” at times. Generally though, she was just the right amount of sunny disposition without overdoing it.

3. Linda’s neighbors…I’ll concur with @Jay_Kay that they did seem like something out of a sitcom, and maybe that’s the point. Sitcom neighbors have their worth, afterall and so did Linda’s. It is a remarkable coincidence that John Ostrander is the name of a character in the DCU while also being one of it’s shining writing talents in our world. As for a favorite, I liked the old lady landlord (her name escapes me ATM) the most. She was warm, friendly, charming and quite welcoming. Just what you want in a landlord/neighbor.

4. My favorite moment was seeing Psi in all her glory. She’s a fun character in general, and would later resurface in Post-Crisis continuity on the Suicide Squad and in the New 52 via “Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S.”, while also appearing in the digital-first Adventures of Supergirl series and the Rebirth volume of Supergirl.

These issues were a fun re-read. I’m not inclined to carry on with the remainder of the series right now, but it was fun to revisit these early stories. I enjoyed them more than I did previously, and I’m sure that would be my POV for the rest of the series for whenever I end up re-reading it.

SN: Decay would make for an awesome action figure. calls up Psi to see if she can psychically will that suggestion over to Todd McFarlane and his DC product development team Hey, you never know. :wink:

Thanks for another solid read @JLWWSM! :metal:

2 Likes

@JLWWSM I’m very sorry for how my post sounded, it was not my intention to actually complain. It was my joking compliment that this club turns me on to series and I get so into them that I want to read more about them. I love this club and how you and @MattMcDonald run it. I’ve read series and got others perspective on them I wouldn’t otherwise have read. My problem is so much good stuff to read. This specific post was from reading your comments on what comes next in this series and thinking “I really want to read that.”

3 Likes

Just a few comments

Seeing Linda Danvers with her own cast of characters reminds me how different comic books were in those days.

It jolted me too with New Gods by Kirby.

In both there were a lot of panels with ordinary human beings.

Beginning with the group books like Avengers and X men heroes only interacted with follow heroes.

I thought of good current titles like Hawkman Freedom Fighters The Terrific, no human beings need apply. Even in Flash, we see Iris only a little

Which brings me to Carmine Infantino. Reading his old Flash I.am intrigued by how fashionable Iris was dreased. No women dressed liked that in my old neighborhood. I think my sister used to buy Archie with Betty and Veronica as well as Millie the Model and Patsy Walker by Stan Lee decades before she became Hellcat. I read them too but as a guy I didn’t get any of that fashionable vibe as I did with Carmine.

My Supergirls are two: The original in the orphanage with centaur lovers and super cats and the non.Kara done by Peter David. This version.seems rather dull to me. I am glad she was older like the Peter David version.

Carmine’s Linda iis not someone who i could identify as Linda Lee Danvers if shown a picture, which made it hard to be comfortable with reading that part of Supergirl’s life but the costume was very nice.

Linda herself sure did dress well and was very fashionable indeed.

3 Likes

Hi !

In my warped sense of humor, this is what makes the COIE even more of (COIE spoiler): laugh-to-keep-from-crying shock! This super :angel: version of Supergirl is headed for disaster .

Same! I was actually shocked by her teeny tiny costume. :laughing:

Glad you enjoyed the visit. You’ll have Linda fresh in your mind for COIE.

Thanks for joining in!

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification and I’m glad you’ve found so many to want continue. There’s so many good stories. If only I had more time I’d read everything. :heart:

1 Like

thank you for your grace, it’s not the first time my flippancy has gotten me in trouble.

2 Likes

So say we all. :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

And, now I’m downloading issues of Adventures of Supergirl

2 Likes

Courtesy of Kenner, Supergirl (not the Daring iteration, but Supergirl nonetheless) is ready to fight any Crisis:

So good to see you @TurokSonOfStone1950!

This was my biggest takeaway from the story. Comics were quite different then. @msgtv mentioned that his history club talked a bit how things were different, especially for female leads, at that time.

I loved reading your comments and comparisons of stories at that time and hearing about what your sister used to read.

I’m with you, Linda is a great dresser!

Thanks so much for joining in.

2 Likes

That’s so cool! Thanks for posting the image, I never would’ve looked for that on my own, and now that I see it, I love it so much!

1 Like

In the event you should want to search for one of your own sometime, here’s Supergirl in package:

and in a four pack from 2000 that was exclusive to Toys R Us (eBay pic):

1 Like

I did some googling and found this really reliable source called Wikipedia, or something like that. According to it, the character was named after John Ostrander about a year before his first comics work. Apparently, Paul K. was friends with that fella.

1 Like

I have, I think, exactly one issue of this series, but I’ve never read these.

I can’t say that I love Linda, but she’s okay. I do like this version of Supergirl, it’s so quintessentially 80’s, it’s like a little time capsule. I think I would have really enjoyed this series of I had grabbed it as a youngster.

They’re pretty wacky! I didn’t get a villain vibe from them, though. I liked how in this era every hero had to have their own support characters, and these do the job here nicely.

I’d say when Psi revealed her costume for the first time. That was very…daring…and adventurous!

3 Likes

I laughed on the second page.

Maybe it’s because I’ve taken the Lake Shore Limited more than a few times, but it doesn’t meander through Pennsylvania… It barely goes into Pennsylvania, only between New York and Ohio for maybe 50 miles along the Lake Erie border and only one stop, Erie.

Otherwise, first time reading this. I’ve made it through two issues and an going to read the next one, not sure if I’ll continue with the series. I’ll go along with so many others in that if I out myself back into the 80’s, this book doesn’t seem out of place.

It is interesting to read about this Supergirl knowing her fate.

3 Likes

Hi @ralphsix

I agree. This costume got me! Given how innocent the story felt, this costume was like tada!

:arrow_up: Yep! Couldn’t agree more.

Thanks for reading along and taking the trip back to the very early 80s with this one. We’ll see Linda soon in the Crisis!

1 Like
  1. This was my first time reading The Daring New Adventures of Supergirl.

2. Supergirl is charming in this but a little too much at times. I think if they would of dialed it back at times she might of been even more enjoyable than she was. Overall I enjoyed reading a version of her in the 80s.

3. Linda’s neighbors seem to have the right mind set but come off a little bit over the top especially when they unpacked all her stuff while she was sleeping. They do seem to be willing to help her when ever they can as we saw when she handed her book to her neighbor and than went to fight The Decay.

4. My standout moment was when Linda went to meet her advisor for the first time and it seemed like every panel he was more and more inundated with paperwork that Linda had to help him find the course catalog for her Psychology studies.

2 Likes