DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 45: WONDER WOMAN (2016-) Year One

Jay Kay, think that and to establish that they are friends. I had friends who were officers when I was an NCO, but you wouldn’t necessarily know that when we were at work.

1. This is my first time reading Wonder Woman Year One.

2. George Perez’s run and Phil Jimenez’s run are my favorites as of now. Haven’t read Gail Simone’s run yet. Think that it and Greg Rucka’s rebirth run might get added to that list.

3. Don’t think I would change anything. But, would like Diana to be given the opportunity to go to Themyscira in the future. Think that moving the island and/or wiping her memory was a good way to protect Themyscira. But, don’t like that she can never return. Plus, there are some good stories that take place on Themyscira. Would like that to continue.

4. At the end of this issue, I really wanted to read more about Diana, Etta, Steve, and Barbara Ann in this time period…not just the future. I have read some of the other Rebirth issues…so I know some things. Plus, already knew that Barbara Ann becomes cheetah. But, at this point, I just want to keep following this timeline. Like it.

Love Nicola Scott’s art in this and other books.

1 Like

I found these amazing Wonder Woman Bracelets on Instagram. You guys should really check it out.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0bT3tkJKBL/?igshid=7imfcjpmpkh5

@MattMcDonald
I agree, the flow is so seamless in this. The story moves likes river.

Your praise of Etta is convincing me to finish the run. I read through Vol. 1 The Lies, and Vol. 2 Year One, as it came out (I liked the new 52, so parts of Vol. 1 were difficult for me because I was mourning the New 52). But time has passed since New 52 and I want to catch up Rebirth’s run.

I’m happy you enjoyed revisiting this one.

@carpenters77
Hello =)
Yes! Themyscira is a treasure trove of great stories. Diana, Etta, Steve, and Barbara Ann in this time period would be really fun to read. I enjoyed their dynamic too. I find Nicola Scott’s art so unique and beautiful.

@Championblack
Awesome - Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@Everyone
It’s always a pleasure to read everyone’s reflections on the book because we all find different angles and make different connections to the story. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

Discussion remains open through the end of the day!

1 Like

You’ll never believe it! First my wife had me watching iron Man 2 Thursday night, causing me to not have my book report in time for kindly Professor Vroom, and now tonight when I want to read Wonder Woman wifie insisted she wanted to watch Aquaman (we hadn’t seen it yet so we just watched it from a nice shiney DVD we got from the library)… now let me see if I can get my homework done for Professor JL.

Before I work on the questions, allow me to make some quick takes on this Year One story:

Greg Rucka: writer Extraordinaire! While he started as an accomplished writer of novels min the 1990s (the Atticus Kodiak bodyguard series), I first noticed him with his first comic book series White Out (Steve Leiber art)- you may recall this was a movie later starring Kate Beckinsale. He’s a master of writing about very strong and singular yet flawed female characters / protagonists.

The next place I enjoyed his work was the black and white comic series “Queen and Country” that again featured a strong female lead, this time a special British anti terrorism agent, tough as nails, a survivor!

From there you can see him mixing his other work in what he did for DC with the Checkmate, OMAC storyline, Final Crisis etc.

So when I saw he was picking up the Wonder Woman series, I noted this as one to read!

2 Likes
  1. This is the first time I have read this.
  2. My all-time favorite Wonder Woman series was in the mid-1990s, issues 93-100 being a good example of the run by William Messner-Loebs with the great Mike Deodato doing the artwork! Artemis takes Wonder Woman’s role / title!
  3. I wouldn’t change anything about the story, best origin yet for WW!
  4. The character that later becomes Cheetah is very intriguing.
3 Likes

Before I go too far off track, I would give us a 10 out of 10 rating. Perfect story, amazing art!

Here’s the cover to the beginning of William Messner-Loebs’ run on Wonder Woman back in the 90s with these amazing John Bolton covers ( if you get a chance go look at these they are just stunning)

2 Likes

And here’s the cover to the story showing Artemis as Wonder Woman for the first time. This only went on for like seven or eight issues as I recall, but it was great and what happened with the character of Artemis later was fascinating as well.

2 Likes

@MattMacDonald:

“I would have loved to see Steve and Diana’s relationship develop without being able to understand each other. She picks up English too fast, imo.”

If you haven’t read the George Perez run yet, this would make you happy. She really doesn’t get into learning English there until the second or third arc. Kind of further proves my thinking that this arc feels like what would happen if someone were to adapt the Perez run into a live-action movie.

@Don-El – Definitely liked what I’ve read of the Messer Loeb run of WW. Of all the “retiring the main character for a gritty newcomer” stories that were happening at the same time between Knightfall and Death of Superman, that run by far did it the best.

2 Likes

@Don-El
Yay! You made it :slight_smile:

Those covers are gorgeous - thanks for sharing them. “Best origin yet for WW!” - that is high praise! I’m happy to hear it and happy to hear you were able to check this one off your to-read list. I loved hearing your experiences with Rucka.

1 Like