DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 45: WONDER WOMAN (2016-) Year One

@c02goddess.16092
Hello! I like origin stories too :slight_smile: I enjoyed the language barrier and was super intrigued when we learned Dr. Minerva was able to understand the language a bit. And Iā€™m with you on the hospital. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

1 Like

Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Had to jump right back with the Barbara Minerva origin issue. That was fantastic, fully developed character complete with the seeds for her downfall all in one issue. Hope this was the inspiration for her start in WW84

1 Like

Hi JLWWSM great pick I might reread it just cuz itā€™s so good.

1 Like

What are you talking about

Me? Ummm WW year oneā€¦

@MattMcDonald
:tada: excellent!

@msgtv
The Minerva issue really pulled me in to her story. I also wonder if this is the direction theyā€™ll take for Minerva in WW84. No matter what, Iā€™m all in for WW84.

3 Likes

@djd187
Hi :blush: Itā€™s always a pleasure to see ya! Iā€™d love to hear more of your thoughts on this story arc.

1 Like

Greg rucka did a great job with this

3 Likes

Hey JLWWSM

I just gave u a shout out on this pg cuz I hadnā€™t chatted u up in a while. I really do love this arc tho I was being sincere killing 2 birds. Saying hi & endorsing this arc.

2 Likes

@sweetexorcist7
Hi! Thanks for sharing, do you have a favorite moment in the story?

So just finished this last night, and like I said before, while I have problems with the run in general, this part of it is definitely the best part of it, even if there are things that nag at me.

Anyway, the questions!

ā€œWhat is your favorite Wonder Woman story? (if you have one)ā€

Hmmā€¦itā€™s hard for me to think of specific stories, more like good moments in specific runs. Like I really enjoyed what Iā€™ve read of the Perez run, especially her origin stuff (if Iā€™m perfectly honest, this book pretty much feels like a modern day remake of that story with more of the classic elements like the Steve romance thrown in). While I wasnā€™t too into Ruckaā€™s first run either, his arc with the Gorgon fight is iconic, as well as his OGN ā€œThe Hikitea.ā€ Gail Simoneā€™s run was really good, especially her first arc, ā€œThe Circle,ā€ as well as her team-ups with Black Canary and Power Girl. Really liked Azzarelloā€™s run, especially the story where she fights through Hell. Iā€™ve really loved how Grant Morrison has written her world in his Earth One OGNs, after the way he ended the last one, Iā€™m so hyped for how heā€™ll resolve things in book 3.

ā€œIf you could, would you change anything about this story? Whatā€™s one thing would you change?ā€

Thereā€™s one big thing that this story changes that I think really disrupts and takes away from the Wonder Woman mythos, and thatā€™s Diana fighting in secret and the overall adversarial relationship Diana has with her mother, Queen Hippolyta. I think it gives her origin some conflict in a story thatā€™s otherwise can be seen as kind of plain and easy. Iā€™ve always loved the dynamic of Hippolyta and Diana being at odds with each other, with Diana growing into her own and her mother, always the one in charge, bristling at someone not doing what she wants them to do, but the love for each other is always apparent. It gives Wonder Woman a dynamic with her family that is unique to the others in the Trinity ā€“ as Rucka writes it, itā€™s basically Ma Kent except she doesnā€™t even die, just peaces out the moment Clark puts on the cape.

And thatā€™s another thing I donā€™t really like ā€“ the idea that Themiskyra disappears entirely the moment she leaves. I wonā€™t go too much into why this is irritating because it touches a fair amount into other stuff within the run, but it feels like a pointless and cruddy way of saying ā€œnothing in the previous run ever happenedā€ and taking Themiskyra away from Diana really lessens her potential as a character. Like, they say sheā€™s an ambassador for her people, but whatā€™s the point of being an ambassador to a people she can never see again? It just makes her, again, Superman-lite.

ā€œThis arc is the beginning of many charactersā€™ stories. Which characterā€™s storyline are you most interested in?ā€

Iā€™d go with Barbara Ann Minerva. While I donā€™t like a lot of things that are done with Diana in this run, I do really love how Rucka revitalizes a lot of Dianaā€™s human cast, and Barbara/The Cheetah is definitely one of them. The idea of her being a close part of Dianaā€™s inner circle in Manā€™s World, the first person sheā€™s really able to connect with, makes her becoming Dianaā€™s most dangerous nemesis all the more tragic. Barbara also having a budding relationship with Etta Candy (which I have to admit I didnā€™t notice when I first read it ā€“ like, who with a little Greek knowledge doesnā€™t know a little about Sappho?) just twists the knife a little bit more.

1 Like

@djd187
Cool :sunglasses: and thanks for reaching out. Itā€™s great seeing you on the forums again.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay
ā€œā€¦whatā€™s the point of being an ambassador to a people she can never see again?ā€

:open_mouth: wow! That is an excellent point.

I, too, did not catch the budding relationship with Etta and Minerva the first time I read this. Re-reading it was almost like reading it for the first time for me.

I didnā€™t realize I missed the tension with her mom until you said it. I knew something felt different in their relationship, but I couldnā€™t figure out what it was. Thanks! :blush:

Great discussion so far. We will wrap up on WW Year One discussion on Sunday evening.

Final thoughts on a very nice start to this series, but itā€™s a complaint. The primary three naval personnel are a Commander, Lieutenant and Chief Petty Officer. In uniform, on duty itā€™s not Mike, Etta and Steve. Itā€™s sir, maā€™am, mister, or chief. Friends off duty, it maybe different. Anyway Iā€™m nitpicking, but there you go.

Interesting point ā€“ I would have to imagine that with as much military fiction as Rucka has written in the past he had to know that. Itā€™s likely that he felt like he had to sacrifice that bit of accuracy to make sure people picking issues up for the first time know who everyone is.

Great thoughts and points!

1.) I read it as it was coming out!

2.)This is a tough one. Iā€™d probably have to go with Wonder Woman: Earth One

3.) I would have played with the communication barrier a bit more. I would have loved to see Steve and Dianaā€™s relationship develop without being able to understand each other. She picks up English too fast, imo.

4.) Iā€™ve read the run so this one feels like cheating, but I really love Etta. And enjoy her character through the rest of the run.

I love this book. Itā€™s probably one of my favorite Wonder Woman stories. So I was very excited to return to it!

One thing that really stood out to me was how awesome the action in this book is. You can feel a motion in the way Diana moves. It just flows so well. The terrorist attack sequence is a good example of this.

Also the art was amazing, imo. I loved the way Diana looked in this. She just oozed power and grace!

Great great great pick, @JLWWSM!

1 Like