DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 40: AMANDA WALLER (2014-) #1

Greetings DCU!

Welcome back to the Girl Power!:boom: edition of the DCU Book Club (DCUBC)! Once a month, taking the place of a week of our regular book club, we focus on the wonderful ladies of the DCU. Whether they are heroes or villains, Girl Power! selections are all about them.

This month, our spotlight shines on Amanda “The Wall” Waller as she packs a punch in a 1-shot issue. As a bonus, we’ll read two pages from her first ever comic book appearance in 1986’s LEGENDS #1.

“…A tireless tactician and expert political operator, she quickly moved up into the highest levels of government and put together a new version of an old black-ops team called Task Force X. Recruiting incarcerated Super-Villains, her Suicide Squad does the dirty work that heroes like the Justice League can’t or won’t. Regardless of what others think of her methods or morals, Amanda Waller gets the job done.” - DCU Encyclopedia Introduction

To learn more, check out Amanda Waller’s DCU Encyclopedia entry Amanda Waller

:books:WHAT TO READ :books:
SUICIDE SQUAD: AMANDA WALLER (2014-) #1

LEGENDS (1986-) #1 - PAGES 15 & 16 (the first EVER appearance of Amanda Waller)

:eight_spoked_asterisk: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading SUICIDE SQUAD: AMANDA WALLER (2014-) #1?

2. What was your first exposure to Amanda Waller?

3. After you read these issues/pages, what 3-5 words would you use to describe Amanda Waller’s personality?

4. In Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller (2014-) #1, is Amanda a hero, a villain, or somewhere in between?

5. Would you hire Amanda Waller for a job? Why or why not?

As always, we love to hear your general reactions to the story!

Our spoiler discussion begins now and ends at the end of the day on Sunday, June 23rd!

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on Discord or via email at JLonDCU@gmail.com.

Want to catch up on our previous DCU Book Club discussions? The DCUBC Archive can be found here: https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

5 Likes

What a wall of a read!

DQ’s:

1. I read the Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller one-shot when it came out. The Joker’s Daughter and Lois Lane one-shots that preceded Waller’s book were fun too.

2. First exposure to Waller…some book from my childhood that had an in-depth profile on the Suicide Squad. No idea what it was, but I remember as a kid thinking “How can a series be monthly if the team commits suicide?” Childhood naivety, you see :slight_smile:

3. Words to describe Waller: An uncompromising force for good.

To elaborate beyond 3-5 words, she may seem unsavory at times, but Amanda Waller really does have humanity’s best interests at heart. She wouldn’t do what she does if it wasn’t to ensure the world can see a new sunrise again and again.

1. I lean more towards hero. Heroic outcomes sometimes depend on actions that aren’t 100% heroic, but as Waller has proven again and again in various mediums, she will do whatever it takes for the good guys to win.

2. Oh, you bet I’d hire Waller for a job! I know it’d get taken care of with 100% (and beyond) precision.

Not a Discussion Question, but outside of the comics, my favorite rendition of Amanda Waller is her rendition in the DCAU. CCH Pounder played her to perfection on JLU.

Also not a DQ, but one of my favorite Waller Moments was her reaction to Lex’s kiss during the Public Enemies arc of Superman/Batman. Lex was a skitch loopy then.

Good pick! I think I’ll squeeze in the Lois Lane N52 one-shot now.

3 Likes

You know, I have to admit that I was a initially a little bummed that we only have a one-shot for book club this week. But, considering that with other book clubs I’m participating in I’m trying to keep going on the likes of Injustice, DC’s Bombshells, The Flintstones, and Gotham Central, this might be a blessing in disguise. :joy:

4 Likes

I couldn’t find a longer story that focused on just Amanda Waller, so a 1-shot it is! I’m looking forward to hearing responses to the discussion questions.

@Vroom, when I first heard of the Suicide Squad I was really confused by their name too!

2 Likes

Tsk, Jay_Kay, you neglected to mention you fav!

1 Like

This is the younger version of her that I’m not as big a fan of but you’ll bet I’ll read it!!!

3 Likes

I love The Wall! Excited to get to reading & discussing! Thanks @JL.

1 Like

This one looks super cool!

1 Like

@Don-El, what favorite did I neglect?

@Don-El and
@toonatonian

I’m excited to discuss it too! =)

@MattMcDonald
I think she looks amazing on the cover.

@JLWWSM

Agreed! She looks like an action hero! Can’t wait to dive in!

1 Like

Jay_Kay LoS! Lol

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO! who awesome and green and steal the scene? Ambush Bug-Man, who troll Marvel & DC? Ambush Bug-Man

Ambush bug-man!, Ambush Bug-man!, Ambush Bug-man!, AMBUSH BUG-MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

1 Like

I’m going out on a limb and saying the cover art to Suicide Squad: Amanda Waller (which is keen BTW) is by…Giuseppe Camuncoli.

Survey Says…?

1 Like

Oh… Jay_Kay… someone just started yet another book club you better go check it out

Describe Waller: Nothing stops the Wall
I don’t think she’s a hero, her moral code is far too flexible. Her ultimate goal is for the good, but her methods taint the result.
I enjoyed this one shot, first time here on DCU. But the issue I want to bring up is the depiction of her body. The New52 Waller, is to put it bluntly a super fit skinny chick. Waller is normally depicted as short and thick to heavy set. That Waller was never skinny a day in her life. Even young and super fit, I see her as a woman with curves. Look at how Etta Candy is shown in Gail Simone’s Wonder Woman, fit but with curves. I think Waller’s look is part of who the character is, and they shouldn’t have gone skinny.

1 Like

The mystery to me is, how do we go from this version of Waller to the more traditional older Waller that shows up in Justice League: No Justice that we just read in the other club for the Rebirth version

Maybe the answer is in all those Suicide Squad comics I haven’t gotten to between New 52 and now…

@Don-El Give New Suicide Squad and the Rebirth SS series a whirl. They’re fun and might answer your query.

1 Like

@msgtv
Your point about her moral code being too flexible for her to be a hero is really giving me good food for thought. There was one particularly heroic thing she did in this story that made me think she was much more of a hero than a villain. But now I’m thinking - even with the sacrifice she was willing to make - the ends can’t always justify the means. The complexity of Amanda Waller is one of the things I love most about her character.

Also, about her appearance. Seeing the first ever version of Amanda (see the “what to read” section for the original post) was a real treat and shows the contrast. I’ve added it here too. She was absolutely a heavier set character in the beginning. But I still like her look in this issue too. Her eyes on the cover look like she’s going to rip apart anyone that gets in her way!