DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 35: Birds of Prey (1998-) #62-67

@Don-el
Congratulations! :tada: Thatā€™s awesome news

@MattMcDonald
I believed Cheshire too, I was stunned by her outright lie.

Everything you mentioned in 4 was my favorite for Oracle too. Seeing her keep calm and fight on even in the cell was powerful and inspirational to me.

For 66, I actually thought I had accidentally opened the wrong issue because it was so tonally different, but the end of that issue was so strong!

1 Like

Great discussion everyone, weā€™ll wrap up this weekā€™s selection tonight!

Iā€™m not finding this in the library, link anyone?

Got it

1 Like

Great complete story. It often makes for a compelling story when enemies team up!

Sometimes I buy a comic or series because of the character (like O.M.A.C or Doom Patrol), other times I give a series a try because of who the writer is, and Iā€™ve discovered they have that special something that makes most of their work bubble above the rest (James Robinson, Charles Soule, Matt Kindt and Jason Aaron are in that group for me)ā€¦Gail Simone has long been on that list. And her Birds of Prey run is part of the reason. I can tell she isnā€™t just writing this for me- sheā€™s writing it for other women who enjoy comics! Her Secret Six later was just breakout, and good villain / kinda hero fun (Cat Man!).

The story is well-written, a head scratching mystery for us readers to try to solve, and Ms. Simone is careful to make sure we are well-aware of the inherent comedy of teaming these mutual foes up.

1 Like

@Don-El, that panel just reminded of how much I liked BCā€™s Superman t-shirt. I swear Iā€™ve seen a real shirt like that. I wonder if Ed Benes was aware of it and drew BC in it, or the shirt was inspired by the comic?

Chicken or egg?

1 Like

The next to final issue I believe it was that was almost entirely about Black Canaryā€™s mother was fantastic!

Gail continues to develop Savant as a crazy-intriguing villain too here.

Rating: 9.5 out of 10. The only ding in my book is a tiny bit of the art by Benes is a little too cheesecake / pinup, IMO. Maybe itā€™s a result of the panel by panel view, but there ya go.

Super selection this week, JL! Put me on the notificatiion list for whenever the club revisits just about anything written by Gail Simone!

1 Like

@Don-El
I will absolutely alert you for the next Gail Simone selection! The humor was one of my favorite elements of this arc.

Thanks everyone for reading along and for the great discussion this week!

Stay tuned tomorrow for Week 36 of DCU Book Club =)

Hope you guys donā€™t mind me being a little late and bumping this for my thoughts ā€“ work and life were a little crazy past few days and couldnā€™t really sit down to write until now.

Already kind of answered the first question, so Iā€™ll start with ā€“

1. If Lady Shiva offered to train you in combat skills, would you accept her offer? Why or why not?

Iā€™d probably go with no, because she would be extremely strict to the point of cruelty. If I was going to get training from anyone in this group, it would probably be Dinah ā€“ which works because in her New 52 backstory, she was actually a sensei of her own dojo, which now that I think about it was a rather lovely touch.

1. This story has many villains. Which ā€œvillain-revealā€ was the most surprising to you?

I would probably go with the Senatorā€™s father. You already know the Senator is a scumbag from the first arc of this run, but finding out that he was connected to Dinah in that way made for a surprising twist.

1. Who was the most memorable character to you?

Definitely Lady Shiva. Sheā€™s been a decent character in other books ā€“ I can specifically think of her introduction in the pages of The Question ā€“ but I think Gail truly makes her shine and might write the definitive Shiva to me. Sheā€™s a character who is undoubtedly cruel, sadistic and more than a little sociopathic, but she also has a semblance of a moral code and her sort of best frenemies relationship with Dinah truly makes this arc shine for me.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay
Iā€™m always glad to hear your thoughts in book club and am glad you made it! =)

I echo your sentiments about Lady Shiva. Simone really made her shine in this arc.

1 Like