DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 35: Birds of Prey (1998-) #62-67

I enjoyed the fight scenes in #62

This was my first time reading this lovely slice of DC goodness. Gail Simoneā€™s really flexing her storytelling prowess, showing us all why sheā€™s an icon, to this day because I loved her Wonder Woman

@cderemer1.47236
Iā€™m happy you enjoyed it! =) I love Gail Simoneā€™s storytelling. Did you have a favorite moment?

I loved the humor throughout the story.

2 Likes

Iā€™m only two issues in, but that wolverine line made me chuckle.

2 Likes

What does everyone think of doing the next Girl Power book club on Batwoman? The new trailer has me very excited, and her Elegy or Hydrology arcs would be amazing reads for everyone, especially those who havenā€™t read them yet. And next month is Pride month, too.

1 Like

Iā€™d be game for that. Elegy would be an ideal start . Maybe her debut in 52 as well?

1 Like

Absolutely! This would be my first book club too, even though I just recently re-read these issues, you can never read them often enough.

1 Like

What a story arc!!! I love the birds of Prey and the the ladies in general are badass. On to the questions.

1. This is the first time I have read this arc! Amazeballs!
  2. Damn right I am accepting shivas offer to train me. I donā€™t have to be an assassin but to have that training and understand the mindset would give me a huge advantage!
  3. The best villian or maybe the biggest surprise was the father being the blonde slasher!
3 Likes

I forgot what 4 was so I had to post and go back. But my favorite character in this arc is Cheshire. She is so smart and resourceful. I know she is a bad guy but I have always enjoyed stories featuring her.

3 Likes

@Mae
Iā€™m excited for the Batwoman show too. We will be covering Batwoman in book club closer to the premiere of her show. If you have questions or comments about book club, please reach out to me directly at JLonDCU@gmail.com or on Discord here https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

3 Likes

@doctor_fate23
I love the vigor in your response to question 2! Also, I totally didnā€™t see the father thing coming.

Chesire stole the show for me - and thatā€™s saying a lot considering Lady Shiva and the Birds of Prey are killinā€™ it in this amazing arc.

Finished the remaining issues. My answer to ?'s 3 and 4 is the same: Cheshire. I figured she wouldnā€™t play nice and I was right. Her introduction made a memorable impact too.

Simoneā€™s run on this series is so fun, and I love Benesā€™ art too. Simoneā€™s also doing a swell job on The Flash Giant ATM.

2 Likes

@Vroom
I didnā€™t know she is working on the Flash! Thanks for sharing that.

Cheshire doesnā€™t play well with other :laughing:, that is sooo true! I fell for her lie at first, I shouldā€™ve known better!

1 Like

This is on Grandpaā€™s to-do list for later tonight.

Busy Sundayā€¦ going to my sonā€™s college graduation, very proud of him. He turns 39 in August and heā€™s very fortunate to work at a place that paid for most of his college education, incredible. When he was much younger, we tried to help him out, but unfortunately he wasnā€™t quite ready for college back then.

3 Likes

Congratulations to your son and you Don-El! =)

This was a great one, @JLWWSM great pick!

1.) Yep, this is my first time reading any of Gail Simoneā€™s work on Birds of Prey

2.) Iā€™m far too lazy and out of shape to keep up with Lady Shiva. Also she scares the crap out of me, NO THANKS!

3.) I was actually really caught off guard when Cheshire double crossed Black Canary and the gang. I genuinely thought she was being honest when she said she was being set up. Maybe Iā€™m naive, but it shocked me.

4.) Oracle is so strong in this. Iā€™ll admit I enjoyed her parts of the story the most. I will always prefer my Babs in a cowl but she really shines in this story. They alleyway fight in her wheelchair was a terrific action sequence. But my favorite Babs moment was when she was ā€œtaking inventoryā€ in her cell. It goes to show that you can take Oracle away from a computer, but sheā€™s still brilliant. Also the fact that she called the toilet a commode is just so wholesome, I loved it.

Really enjoyed this arc. I canā€™t decide which issue i like best. Issue 66 really caught me off guard. It oozed noir goodness and was surprisingly dark. 67 had that bad ass team up with so many cool heros/villains. I always love seeing my girl Katana.

Iā€™ve heard good things about this run over the years. I think Iā€™ll be checking it out from issue one. I just canā€™t gush enough about how much i enjoyed this weekā€™s Girl Power book. Thanks again @JLWWSM I probably wouldnā€™t have gotten around to this, and Iā€™m glad i read it!

1 Like

Also congrats to your son, @Don-EL! Woohoo!

@MattMcDonald Gail Simoneā€™s run starts at #55, if you want to read it from the beginning.

Chuck Dixon was the predominant writer of the series before she took over. If you like his work, youā€™re in for a treat, but if you just want to start at the beginning of Simoneā€™s runā€¦well, youā€™re still in for a treat =)

1 Like

All I have to say is that there is not a single bad issue of this series. Every now and then an issue or arc wonā€™t quite be up to par, but itā€™s pretty much wall-to-wall awesome, and the lowest points are at worst just kind of OK, not outright bad. And while I do love Dixonā€™s work (especially on this series and Nightwing), I have to admit that Simoneā€™s run is even better. The next few story arcs after this are probably my favorites.

1 Like

Yes, Simoneā€™s run continually builds upon established success with each successive arc. Just when you think her run has hit its zenith (or Magnavox :wink: ), BINGO! She tops herself.

Iā€™m curious to re-read her Brightest Day Birds of Prey run nowā€¦

2 Likes