DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 31: ZATANNA (2010-) Issues 1-6

Greetings!

I am thrilled to welcome you back to the Girl Power!:boom: edition of the DCU Book Club (DCUBC)! Once a month, taking the place of a week of our regular book club, we focus on the wonderful ladies of the DCU. Whether they are heroes or villains, Girl Power! selections are all about them.

This month, we are enchanted by ZATANNA ZATARA! Here’s a brief introduction to our leading lady. The excerpts below are from the DCU Encyclopedia Zatanna .

:information_source: Zatanna’s first appearance is in Hawkman #4, 1964.

“It’s not often that the “day” and “night” jobs of a DC Super Hero line up perfectly, but for Zatanna Zatara that’s exactly the case. A skilled performer, Zatanna works as a famous stage magician. But when she’s not entertaining, she works as a real magician, performing impossible feats to save the world…

Half human and half Homo Magi, Zatanna is able to cast magical spells by saying any phrase backward.”

She’s affiliated with:
• Justice League of America
• Justice League Dark
• Sentinels of Magic
• Seven Soldiers of Victory

:books:WHAT TO READ :books:
Zatanna (2010-), Issues 1-6

:eight_spoked_asterisk: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading ZATANNA (2010-)?

2. Why do you think Brother Night underestimates Zatanna?

3. Who was your favorite villain?

4. What were your favorite moments?

5. Bonus Question: What’s Zatanna’s secret weapon?

Our spoiler discussion begins now and ends at the end of the day on Sunday, April 21st! Feel to share your thoughts, insights, and reactions to the story.

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me on Discord or via email: JLonDCU@gmail.com.

Want to catch up on our previous DCU Book Club discussions? The DCUBC Archive can be found here: https://discord.gg/kfSNQP6

Ready for a sensational show? :tophat: TRATS GNIDAER!

9 Likes

I’ve heard that people are have difficulty viewing the full post on some devices. I’m adding the reading and questions here, in the comments, too =)
:books:WHAT TO READ :books:
Zatanna (2010-), Issues 1-6

:eight_spoked_asterisk: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading ZATANNA (2010-)?

2. Why do you think Brother Night underestimates Zatanna?

3. Who was your favorite villain?

4. What were your favorite moments?

5. Bonus Question: What’s Zatanna’s secret weapon?

Our spoiler discussion begins now and ends at the end of the day on Sunday, April 21st! Feel to share your thoughts, insights, and reactions to the story.

*are having

I’ve never read a zatanna specific comic but have enjoyed the current Justice League Dark immensely.

Neat! A while back I got the trade on Comixology when it’s on sale, definitely a good reason to crack that open, finally. :smiley:

Yay, Book Club!!!

So Zatanna, before I commit to this reading relationship with your series, could you answer a couple questions for me?

Thanks you’re a real sport!

1. how do you feel about your 4th grade teacher and are they still living?

2. Have you visited any planets lately and are things still doing pretty nicely there at the planets that you encountered?

Sorry for all the questions, Zatanna…sometimes I run into complications with …speed reading…

1 Like

@Nathan.Payson and @Jay_Kay
Cool :sunglasses: I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

@Don-El
I’ll answer for Zatanna :wink: in a roundabout way.

1. Arguably, her greatest teacher is in this series, you’ll have to read it to find out more (I don’t want to spoil it for you), but she’s a hero, so expect heroics!

2. The story is physically on Earth, but there are other realms we may encounter…

2 Likes

Wow! Magical Syncrynosity!!!

Like I said, I’m going through the digital trade of Zatanna by Paul Dini, and before the books in this reading is a one-shot that Dini did with Vertigo called Zatanna: Everyday Magic. It’s a really fun story, with Zatanna helping her former ratty ex John Constantine when he has a one night stand that turns absolutely demonic. It’s a really fun and solid intro for Zatanna for anyone who hasn’t read a solo story with her before. Hopefully this could be one of those exclusions that was talked about and added to the DCU library one day.

2 Likes

This was a great series. It solidified me as a Zatanna fan. She’s probably DC top five to me. And that complete Dini trade that was published is a must own/read of any Zatanna fan.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to read! I’ve never read a Zatana comic, but I am a fan of hers in Young Justice!

1 Like

Can’t wait to read it! I’ve been a fan of Zatanna since she first appear in Batman the animated series. At that time I didn’t know that she was a super hero. I’m looking forward to reading it JLWWSM! I’ll let you know soon what I think about Zatanna’s comic book. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great pick, JL! Excited to crack it open!

2 Likes

@OldManJonah
I’m glad you like the series! This series made me a certified Zatanna fan too.

1 Like

@FlashPoint0909 and
@Reaganfan78

IMO, this series is a great intro for Zatanna. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. =)

1 Like

@MattMcDonald
knaht uoy!

I binged read the whole series in like a day or two. Really good stuff!

1 Like

I’m among those who picked it up and straight up binged it. It’s definitely what I would classify as a beginner friendly series; everyone who shows up is explained to some extent, so you can just pick it up and fully know what’s going on and who everyone is, which is something I greatly appreciate.
I will say the stand out issues for me were those drawn by Chad Hardin. His art style hit the strokes of the story to me.

Does anyone else have a stand out issue of the first six? A favorite artist on the series?

@dr.swampthing and
@Star0fLyra
Hello! =) I’m glad you enjoyed a binge read of the series. I read all 16, I enjoyed the arcs in 1-6 the most. My favorite issues are 5 & 6. If you’d like to, I’d love to hear your thoughts and replies to our discussion questions for issues 1-6.

1 Like