DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 31: ZATANNA (2010-) Issues 1-6

Series is wonderful so far I love it!

3 Likes

I just binged those first 6 issues and I have always been a fan of zatanna! These issues are amazing, she is such a badass! I think the whole mystic/dark part of DC is so underrated…like Deadman, Constantine, Etrigon, etc…

3 Likes

To answer one question, I think brother night underestimates zatanna because he is all ego, he is given this power and feels entitled. Zatanna trained hard and can see ahead of her foes.

1 Like

@sonya.escamilla.94877 I’m glad you’re enjoying it =)

@JLWWSM I was referring to the first six issues haha :rofl: Looking back, I see where that would get easily confused lol

To go a little further in detail, I think Brother Night was a great “starter villain” for the series, he set the tone well with what to expect from upcoming issues. Her cousin wasn’t my favorite, but the growth and bonding between them felt real, and I had an appreciation for that. Their relationship felt believable, and it hit the emotional beats that it needed to without making it too heavy.

1 Like

@walserrd01
I agree, I think he underestimates Zatanna because he overestimates himself.

-Spoiler below!!!
In issue #3 Brother Night is told “…the Lord of hell gave you powers that, on a cosmic level, are nothing more than parlor tricks”. He thinks he’s tough stuff, but he’s not as good as he thinks he is.

One of the things I love most about Zatanna is she is competent and confident, but not arrogant.

1 Like

@Star0fLyra Thanks =)

LOL “Starter villain” - I love that phrase! And yeah, compared to issues 4-6, 1-3 it did feel like pre-game villainy. The relationship with her cousin felt real to me too.

2 Likes

*I saw that my original post got the actual discussion questions cut off, so here’s that too :joy: technology and I don’t always get along lol. I had to retype the whole thing :grimacing:

1. I actually read the issues pretty recently, but I didn’t mind the refresher haha

2. I don’t know that Brother Night wouldn’t underestimate anyone; he seems to think of himself to highly, and I think that will always be his undoing.

3. Brother Night for sure. I touched on this in my second post, but for me he really set the tone and set an expectation for me with the series

4. The softer moments with Zachary. He could be really grating, but it was those quieter moments with him that really made him shine

3 Likes

I really like Mammon alot in this. And I think I like him because of the artwork. He just kind of cracks me up and he really is Savage. But I feel by the end of issue six he has left a bit for Zachary to think about and it seems he can be swayed by the dark side!

1 Like

@walserrd01 I totally agree! Enthusiastically Agree! With You that the whole JLdark/mystic characters should be getting more attention. They are really Super stories & insightful characters. Can’t wait to crack open the pages for this Book Club reading. I am really hoping the physical TPB that I own of Zatanna contains these issues from 2010. :woman_superhero:Dashes off to go find out :woman_superhero:

1 Like

Just finished up the issues for this and really enjoyed it. Paul Dini has a wonderful take on the character and really highlights what makes her a fun and compelling character.

With Brother Night, I think there’s a certain bit of insanity, a lack of care for anyone but himself that drove him even before he made his deals. He’s basically Charles Manson mixed with Al Capone who actually made a devil’s bargain.

I think my favorite moment was her fighting the Royal Flush Gang. Not only was the Rat Pack variants clever, but the way she dispatched them wad very outrageous and satisfying. “Elffuhs!” :grin:

My favorite artist in this was definitely Stephane Roux. He does any amazing blend of Zee’s classy/sexy pin-up vibe while clashing with the creepy horror of magic and sorcery that she protects the rest of the world from. Chad Hardin and Jesus Saiz do done great work in their issues, but Roux is perhaps second only to Adam Hughes as one of the quintessential Zatanna artists.

https://cafart.r.worldssl.net/images/Category_121952/subcat_196341/2L2h8LtY_170319193213lola.jpg

1 Like

@Jay_Kay
I was so excited to see The Royal Flush Gang! They’re always a riot.

1 Like

So this doesn’t have anything to do with this but how do I get a little circle picture next to my name?

1 Like

Hi @walserrd01

Each device may be different, but generally, if you go into your settings->profile, there is an option to change your avatar.

If you need further assistance, the DCU Support Center is available and they respond pretty quickly.

Submit a support request by going to DCU Help center
https://yourdcu.com/help, then click “contact us” in the top right corner.

Or, go to this link
DCU Support request
https://suhc/en-us/requests/newpport.dcuniverse.com/

I look forward to seeing your new avatar!

1. What were your favorite moments?

-SPOILERS-

One of my favorite moments was this moment in issue 4. See photo (please expand the photo to see the full thing).
I COMPLETELY FREAKED OUT! … I did NOT see that coming. I thought it was just a painting.

1 Like

Some of my favorite parts are even when she is trapped in a dream or being mind controlled by the flowers, Zatannas sub conscious is still aware of what is happening. It shows how powerful she is. Also I figured out how to change my avatar, but where do I get avatars from?

So I changed my avatar and my username. I was formerly @walserrd01

Yeah, the painting was very creepy. I was first thinking that the dad was the spirit telling the son what to do and it took another issue to realize he’s the same guy keeping his youth by sacrificing his wives at the alter.

One thing I noticed that was interesting was Zatanna using Dr Light’s likeness in her performance. Before this series, she had mostly been used in relation to Identity Crisis where she mindwipes the memories of both Light and Batman, and it wad implied she might have done the same to Catwoman. I think part of why Dini did this book was because he didn’t like that she was being mostly used as a leggy lobotomiser sms wanted to put her back in a better spotlight.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay
I love the way Zatanna is portrayed in this series. We see her strong character, idealism, and values along with her beauty. It is very well done.

I think Zatanna’s power is fantastic. The series shows how magic tricks are a super efficient way to fight most villains. She can say ANYTHING backward and then… ta-da! It’s done . The only thing that can limit her is her vocabulary and she has to be able to speak/communicate. She is well-trained and exceptionally good at what she does.

2 Likes

@doctor_fate23

Yay! You figured out the name/avatar change!

The dream sequence was excellent. I was on the edge of my seat. =)

1 Like