DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 25: Cassandra Cain; Batgirl (2000-) #1-6

I just read all 6 issues in one sitting! I look forward to joining in on the spoiler chat tomorrow for the first time.

1. This was my first time reading this run of Batgirl. I read a bit about her in some No Man’s Land title I checked out from Hoopla awhile back but this was new content.

2. I always will have a soft spot for Stephanie Brown as Batgirl personally. Cassandra Cain just surpassed Barbara for me though.

1 Like

@PrincessAmethyst
Welcome! I’m so glad you joined us for Book Club! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to the spoiler discussion as well. I couldn’t put it down when I started reading it. Cassandra is amazing!

1 Like

I really hope more of this series is added to DCU. It’s a great read through and through.

Of course, DC needs to finish it’s current trade release too as they stopped at volume three in the current run. Three more volumes to wrap 'er up.

2 Likes

Our spoiler discussion kicks off at 5pm EST today!

2 Likes

Spoiler? I thought we were talking about Batgirl, specifically the Cassandra Cain iteration?

a stagehand whispers in my ear Oh, got ya mate. Cheers then!

Jus’ bein Silly :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:mega: Our spoiler discussion has officially kicked off and lasts throughout the weekend! :mega:

Please feel free to respond to any or all of the questions in the original post.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to my usual relaxing late Sunday night read with this!

Again really appreciate the efforts of everyone to keep this going.

1 Like

Alright, potential spoiler time. :rotating_light:

1. In this arc Batman says that Cassandra can read her opponents’ movements like a language due to her being removed from speech all her life. Makes sense but I would have loved to see this from a readers perspective. For instance, word bubbles from her POV with only a few words legible.

2. I definitely think David Cain regrets losing Cassandra as a weapon over a daughter. Anyone who would put their child through that kind of trauma would be less concerned about losing a child and more concerned about losing the investment.

3. My thoughts about this story; easy to read and quick story telling. Probably due to the title character’s inability to speak. This was less of a “first solo story” and more of a explanation of character. The moment that stood out the most for me was when Batman told Cassandra not to hold back when sparing and soon he was bleeding from his nose yet no panel showed a punch. I thought this was clever because it revealed how stealth she is without showing the action. Bravo!

2 Likes

@Batmite267
Cool insights!
The stealth punch in issue 1 made my jaw drop. I had to keep looking at the panels to make sure I wasn’t imaging things!

1 Like

Really enjoyed this arc! Great choice @JLWWSM!

I’ll be back to tonight/tomorrow to lay out my thoughts and answer discussion questions! Looking forward to it!

Also this is the best Batgirl costume hands down.

1 Like

@MattMcDonald

I look forward to it! IMO, her costume strikes fear into the heart of all! It’s fantastic.

I felt conflicted about this panel where David Cain is taunting Batman about not being able to solve a murder that’s on tape. David Cain is a mean drunk. Actually, he’s mean when he’s not drunk too - he’s a meany!!!

Batgirl-issue-5-Batman-can-t-solve-a-video.png

3 Likes

Just wait until you read the Murderer crossover.

4 Likes

Language is such a cool aspect to this character. When we are finally able to understand what’s going on in Cassandra’s mind, she loses her masterful combat ability.

The reason for this (I think) is that all these thoughts and words in her head cloud her mind. Her combat abilities are pure instinct. She has nothing else to think about but subduing the target. When she can think and comprehend the world around her, it breaks her focus, and is no longer an instinct.

My biggest takeaway from David Cain is he lives with regret. It’s really hard to say whether he misses Cassandra as a daughter or as a weapon. I lean more towards weapon.

What I can say is this is a man living with regret. He regrets the things he did to his daughter. Whether he regrets them for the right reasons remains to be seen, I think.

4 Likes

I am of the mind that David Cain, this David Cain, genuinely loved Cassandra as his daughter. Yes, he raised her to be the ultimate assassin, but when he’s written well, he’s shown genuine emotion for her, maybe not liking how she ran off, but still loving her. Much like when he got teary-eyed when she managed to speak (this was during No Man’s Land), you can see the regret on his face on the bottom panel of the image here. “Too soon. My fault.”

Yes, he’s talking about having his kid kill another human being, but he’s an assassin. For him and his world, it’s not that different from a father thinking he rushed his kid into something more mundane like a sport or extracurricular, the pressure of which makes them resentful. You could argue there is a hint of considering her a weapon, but I think (and sure, prefer) that he first and foremost loves her like a daughter.

1 Like

@MattMcDonald & @Mr_Morbach

I also think he is filled with regret. I won’t spoil it, but if anyone is interested, issues 7-12 gives more depth and food for thought on David Cain in this arch.

Thanks for sharing the panel @ Mr_Morbach. I liked your comparison of a sport or extracurricular.

2 Likes

Was anyone else moved by this moment? I got a little teary at the “instinct” panel at the end of issue 6.

After all she’s been through, Cassandra instinctually wants to help people. Even if it means sacrificing herself. She’s very young, and has a hero’s heart despite all she experienced.

2 Likes

This was definitely a solid, character-focused story, and really highlights what makes Cassandra a compelling character. The only drawback is the psychic character and the villains around him, who I found to be rather bland. I kind of wish that Cass developing her ability to process language wasn’t so “deus ex machina,” that it was more of a conscious decision or something not as sudden.

Still, it was enough to make me pick up the rest of the available trades on Comixology, thank the Source for their sales. :grin:

2 Likes

Also, this page made me laugh pretty good. Even without much practice, Cassandra is a straight savage. :joy:

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay
I laughed at that moment too! It was great. I thought this was an awesome savage moment as well (see attached screenshot). I love Cass’s sassiness!

1 Like