DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 25: Cassandra Cain; Batgirl (2000-) #1-6

Helena Burtinelli was a Batgirl briefly before Cass. She wore the same suit (or if not the same, very similar).

2 Likes

Did anyone else ever finish Batman and Robin Eternal? Iā€™m curious how Cassā€™ depicted in that book. I never finished all of it but believe thatā€™s where took on the Orphan name? Cass, Tim, and Steph absolutely need their own book for just the three of them. Iā€™m re-reading Detective Comics rebirth run and Cass/Clayface are the best together

I read Batman & Robin Eternal when it came out, but I donā€™t own it anymore nor do I remember how Cass got her new nom de guerre.

The good news is, B&R Eternal is coming to DCU later in the month so we can all find out/reacquaint ourselves with it.

4 Likes

Reading these issues really have opened my eyes to having someone else as Batgirl. Iā€™ve always read Batgirl comics with Barbara being the one in the suit.

So seeing a different take on the Batgirl character was pretty coolā€¦ Iā€™ll admit tho it took me some time to get to know and understand her. GREAT PICK FOR BOOK CLUB.

1 Like

There had been a discussion on our Discord channel for this book club about the various Batgirls and also Batwoman. Itā€™s interesting to see the emotions that each type of the female bat family person generates depending on peopleā€™s experiences in the past with either film cartoons or movies or comics. Most recently, Batgirls in Young Justice Season 3 show another take on the whole mythology of this. As I recall, Cassandra Cain is Vandal Savageā€™s older daughter in a space station in YJ.

1 Like

@Don-El No, I think Vandalā€™s daughter just happens to have the same name. Thereā€™s also Wonder Girl, Cassandra Sandsmark, so itā€™s not like itā€™s unprecedented.

@JLWWSM

The other big one is ā€œBat-Girl,ā€ real name Bette Kane, who was created along with Kathy Kane/Batwoman as a responce to the Fredric Wertham ā€œSeduction of the Innocentā€ stuff to be Robinā€™s girlfriend. And yet he was always trying to get her off his back, whichā€¦is an odd way to show that someoneā€™s straight, but whatevā€™s. :joy:

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay
:joy: good point!

Mr_Morbach, you realize in Young Justice Season 3, the character had the same first and the same last name as this Batgirlā€¦ I think thatā€™s a little more than just a coincidence stillā€¦

But I have to do more research I think Iā€™m a little confused as to who was in that spaceship with Vandal Savage

Iā€™m back was knocked off for 2 months. Hi JLWWSM missed u.

@JLWWSM Thanks for the browser idea. Iā€™ll give that a shot. And thanks for posting the questions for me!

1. I read this arc around the same time as it came out so rereading it will be practically reading it again for the first time. I look forward to it!

2. My favorite Batgirl is the Rebirth version believe it or not. I really think sheā€™s fun and the stories so far have been really cool and modern.

1 Like

@BoyNCape
Iā€™m so glad you enjoyed a new take on Batgirl! It took me a minute to get used to it too, but she is such a unique character that I was sold on it by the end of issue 2.

@djd187.81432
I just dropped you a heroā€™s welcome on your thread in the General section. Welcome back, buddy! I missed you!

1 Like

Was knocked off for 2 months could only read comics on Apple TV app. Cassandra Batgirl was awesome, man did I dominate some comics. Read entire 100 issue run of Batman no mans land. Cassie was awesome in that also. Glad Iā€™m back, missed the community.

1 Like

Thanks JL Iā€™ll go there now. So good to hear from u again missed everyone.

1 Like

@Batmite267
Youā€™re very welcome :slight_smile:
Iā€™m hearing great things about Rebirth Batgirl! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book this weekend.

1 Like

Really digging it so far! Iā€™m on issue 4!

1 Like

I read all six issues this morning. Very good, as always. I love how fierce Cass is. Oracle and Batman served as nice counterweights to her.

Looking forward to the spoiler discussion.

3 Likes

Oh no spoilers the other Batgirl