DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 25: Cassandra Cain; Batgirl (2000-) #1-6

Welcome back to the Girl Power!:boom: edition of the DCU Book Club (DCUBC). Once a month, taking the place of a week of our regular book club, we focus on the wonderful ladies of the DCU. Whether they are heroes or villains, Girl Power! selections are all about them.

This week, we visit Cassandra Cain in BATGIRL (2000-) issues 1-6.

Cassandra Cain made her debut during 1999’s No Man’s Land event. Batgirl (2000-) is Cassandra’s first solo series. She continues her training as Batgirl and her transition into the Bat-family.

:eight_spoked_asterisk: Questions of the Week

1. Is this your first time reading Batgirl (2000-)?

2. Who’s your favorite Batgirl?

:rotating_light:Spoiler Discussion Questions: BEGINS FRIDAY, MARCH 8th @5pm EST​:rotating_light:

Please ONLY post answers to the following questions during our spoiler discussion.

1. Cassandra has an almost total incapacity for word-based languages. Why might words impact her fighting abilities?

2. What do you think David Cain regrets the most: losing Cassandra as a daughter, or losing Cassandra as a potential weapon?

3. What are your thoughts about the story? Did any moments or characters standout to you?

Our spoiler discussion kicks off this Friday, March 8th, at 5p.m. EST and lasts all weekend. Feel free to leave spoiler-free thoughts throughout the week.

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me, JLWWSM, on Discord: https://discord.gg/SUs87JP

Batgirl-2000-cover.jpg

7 Likes

Yes yes yes!!!

1 Like

Cool! It’s funny, I’ve had the digital trade for a while, but I was going to go through No Man’s Land first, but I think I’ll just go ahead and jump in. :grin:

2 Likes

This will be my first time reading this, I’ve always wanted to know about Cassandra Cain. Barbara Gordon will always will be my favorite Batgirl. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is my first time reading this Batgirl comic. Barbara Gordon is my favorite Batgirl, really enjoyed Gail Simone’s run with her in New 52.

2 Likes

Excellent choice. I loves me some Cassandra!

To the questions at hand:

1. I have read this Batgirl series before. I started reading it when it debuted in 2000. Took a break, caught up with the trades in 2004 and then stuck with the series until it ended in 2006. I’ve read Cass’s Batgirl mini too.

B. Cassandra Cain is my favorite Batgirl. I adore Barbara Gordon to pieces as Batgirl, Oracle and a person in general. That said, I just love what a badass Cass is. How she becomes what she does, gets past her not so good legacy, etc. Her costume is really cool too.

Eager to get started in reacquainting myself with Ms. Cain.

4 Likes
  1. I did read this originally and greatly enjoyed the series in this concept of Batgirl.

2. I’m honestly torn between this version of Batgirl and the version of Batgirl from New 52.

1 Like

Oh, and for the questions:

1. I’ve read bits and pieces of Batgirl that have tied into big Batman events, like Bruce Wayne: Fugitive and (ugh) War Games, but this will be my first time reading it on its own.

2. My favorite Batgirl is honestly Barbara, but Cassandra is a VERY close second.

2 Likes

Cassandra had a similar experience as Damian, but came out very differently from the brutal experience.

2 Likes
  1. This is my first time reading any Batgirl.

2. I would have to say, Barbera Gordon. She’s the one I’m most familiar with, and the only one I​ know a bit of information about.

1 Like
  1. This is my first time reading this book! Although I love the character a lot from Rebirth Detective Comics!

2. I’ve of course got to go with Barbara Gordon. One of my all time favorite characters.

Looking forward to it! @JLWWSM fantastic choice as always!

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay
That’s cool that you have it in digital. No Man’s Land is not a prerequisite to be able to follow this story, so I think you’re good to jump right in. :slight_smile: I’m glad you can read it with us.

@Reaganfan78
I’ve always wanted to know about Cassandra Cain too! This series was my first time reading about her. I hope you enjoy her story.

@Tromeo
Gail Simone’s run in New 52 is on my to-read list. I’ve heard great things about it from others and from @Don-El in the comments :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Vroom
I’m glad to hear you really like her! She has a compelling back-story.

@Don-El
I would LOVE to hear you unpack your thoughts about the difference between Damian and Cassandra during our spoiler discussion.

@FlashPoint0909
Welcome back to Bookclub! This book has both Barbara and Cassandra. :wink: I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

@MattMcDonald
Thanks! I really need to read her in rebirth Detective Comics. Thanks sharing your thoughts on that series.

I’m excited that Batman Eternal is coming here as I’m eager to re-read Cass’s modern continuity debut.

Can’t wait for Rebirth 'Tec to get here too. Cass is a player on Team Batman for those unaware. Plus, I love Rebirth 'Tec :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where are the questions? The original post ends with “all about them…” from what I see. I tried turning my tablet landscape and that didn’t show more.

Hi @Bamite267! Thanks for joining. I’m sorry you can’t see the full post. Are you able to see it from a web browser at https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/comics/dcu-book-club-girl-power-w_2

If you are still having trouble, please contact support to investigate further at https://suhc/en-us/requests/newpport.dcuniverse.com/
After “all about them” it says:

This week, we visit Cassandra Cain in BATGIRL (2000-) issues 1-6.

Cassandra Cain made her debut during 1999’s No Man’s Land event. Batgirl (2000-) is Cassandra’s first solo series. She continues her training as Batgirl and her transition into the Bat-family.

The questions are:
:eight_spoked_asterisk: Questions of the Week

1. Is this your first time reading Batgirl (2000-)?

2. Who’s your favorite Batgirl?

:rotating_light:Spoiler Discussion Questions: BEGINS FRIDAY, MARCH 8th @5pm EST​:rotating_light:

Please ONLY post answers to the following questions during our spoiler discussion.

1. Cassandra has an almost total incapacity for word-based languages. Why might words impact her fighting abilities?

2. What do you think David Cain regrets the most: losing Cassandra as a daughter, or losing Cassandra as a potential weapon?

3. What are your thoughts about the story? Did any moments or characters standout to you?

1 Like

I, uh, may have already read all six issues. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:joy: @ Jay_Kay, I couldn’t stop reading either. I noted my answers to the questions and will post them this weekend.

I, uh, also may have read 7-12 cause I couldn’t stop reading it.

1 Like

I love the evolution of Batgirl. From Barbara to Cassandra to Stephanie. All different, all great. I loved Barbara’s Batgirl but I feel like she came into her own as Oracle. Cassandra is such a badass. I only read a little with Stephanie but she’s always been fun as Spoiler. Cassie has to be my favorite though. I’m glad to see her as Orphan on YJ

2 Likes

@happydan73
I’m looking forward to reading Stephanie / Spoiler.

Does anyone know how many Batgirls there are?
I’m aware of Cassandra, Stephanie and Babs. Are there others?