DCU Book Club-Epics: STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-) Issues 0-14, May 6 - May 24

I do to. Always enjoy trying to peace it together as I go along.

1 Like

Thank you very much sorry for not entering the book club sooner

1 Like

Glad to have you anytime! It’s fun to hear everyone’s thoughts and reactions to the book.

1. Is this your first time reading Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. ?

Yep, overall really liking it so far. What I’ve been surprised with so far is how funny it is. Maybe it’s because I was first introduced to Johns with Green Lantern Rebirth, but basically from that point up to the New 52, I found his work to be rather serious, borderline grim at points. Not at all the case here.

1. Which supporting character are you most curious about so far?

I’m going with the Mean Girl Turned Super-Villain. Very curious to find out what her deal is.

1. Share your favorite panels and moments!

Outside the initial nut check I posted, I liked the moment of Courtney finding out how Grundy killed the previous Star Spangled Kid and how she responds. I think this moment is where she starts to discover the real hero inside her, and it becomes more to her than just having fun and pissing off her stepdad.

2 Likes

#6 great issue.
The interactions between Stargirl/Stripe and Young Justice
are juvenile and almost sibling like but they are so relatable. The banter back and forth between Superboy and Stargirl is funny considering those two are the most powerful out of the bunch.

Favorite panels:
Just the way they set up this ‘Justin’ character is nicely done.

Stargirl and Impulse having different reactions turning into Larooians

Josh balancing a book on his nose while he gets stood up by Stargirl!

This battle between Stargirl and Shiv is epic. Also, Stargirl realizing her powers more is apparent.

This is a great panel to give tribute to Robotman and his pals.

I mean do I need to say anything more about this panel? Just look how beautiful it is!

2 Likes

Hi @Jay_Kay

:laughing: That’s a funny, and accurate, description. There is so much more to be revealed about Shiv!

That was a powerful moment.

I’m happy you’re able to read and enjoy a different writing style of Johns. This book has me :rofl:

1 Like

I loved issue 6. It’s so fun!

Thank you for sharing the panels! I smile, laugh, and cheer while looking at EVERY one of the panels you shared because each moment was fantastic and entertaining.

Agreed!

1 Like

Issue 5

Full of action, super funny. Just fantastic.

Poor Pat - he’s not a robot or an android! :laughing:

“Fan Enabled” - this made me laugh out loud. I hope we get to see ‘suit moments’ like this in the show.

:laughing: Red Tornado’s reaction to the news of an alien invasion is “Another one?” :rofl:

2 Likes

I do wonder if Stargirl the TV series will use Red Tornado at all. Such an underrated character.

1 Like

I would be thrilled to see Red Tornado!!!

1 Like

Issue 6

The mom is still unaware of everything that’s going on. :laughing:
I love a full-page costume reveal!

Pat is Worse than Batman :rofl:

Issues 5-6 were so fun!

2 Likes

My favorite issue was when Courtney took care of the Nebula Man P lickety-split, but my favorite moment was when she and Bart were turned into aliens. I loved Bart’s excitement over the point ears!

3 Likes

Hey there! @ralphsix

:star2:

Yes! I’m quoting @JackNapier2138 for reference because that panel is gold! The art perfectly captures the moment. I smile every time I see it.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

2 Likes

Issue 7

So much action! I agree with everyone - the Stargirl vs. Shiv fight scene is awesome!

I’m glad Josh came to his senses!

I feel bad for Shiv now. This is horrible!

Pat having to tinker with S.T.R.I.P.E. during the fight made me laugh. Poor Pat!

Loved this panel - she’s figuring it out! yay!

2 Likes

Issue 8

I loved all of the high school moments and drama: history tests, passing notes, all fun stuff!

A couple favorite moments:

Nebula man’s grand entrance

This made me laugh - Relax Supes :laughing:

1 Like

@JLWWSM, you may want to watch today episode of DC Daily.:grinning:

2 Likes

My favorite issue this week was issue 8. This issue had some great moments like seeing Courtney wearing the cosmic belt to score a goal and the coach trying to get her on the team, wondering who was writing those secret letters to Mary, what’s up with the janitor, finding out she has a step-brother, finally getting the surprise of where her mom is working, and taking down Nebula Man by herself.

Some of my favorite moments from issues 5-9 were

Is Courtney’s mom ever going to find out about Pat’s other life?

I’m surprised that more hero’s don’t have this problem in the field.

Eager to see how this series concludes.

2 Likes

The step-brother was the icing on the cake for me! So much happened in issue 8​:star_struck:.

Great panels! Thanks for sharing them. I can’t wait to hear what you think of the end of the series!

2 Likes

Howdy JL ! Great choice, I’m on #7 right now.

I’ve never read this one but am familiar with stargirl from JSA books. I love Johns work and was not surprised in the slightest that this ones no different. Makes me love the 1st eps even more knowing how spot on it is.
I’m fairly familiar with Stripes and guess I would say the supporting character that I’m most eager to learn more about would be (can’t think of her name) the super nice popular girl with the Rouge highlights in her hair. If she has been in anything outside of stargirl I’m drawing a blank on it. The paintball villain gave me a laugh very much a product of it’s time.
Hope all is well and stay safe. :hugs:

2 Likes

Just finished #10 and I was so excited to see the Shining Knight. Especially, because GJ had been building it up during this series. Look forward to him kicking butt alongside Stargirl.

Favorite Panels:

‘Justin finally suiting up’

The double meaning in this panel is gold.

Someone cue up the Demon Knights theme music! :rofl:

2 Likes