DCU Book Club-Epics: STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-) Issues 0-14, May 6 - May 24

Being a SoCal’er and my ex-wife’s family was from Nebraska. I loved the resentment about having to move and the culture shock. That was very grounding. (I remember flying into Grand Island, Neb airport on a sesna puddle jumper from Denver. Worst flight ever, through this huge storm. Literally kissed the ground when I landed. It was 9:30 pm and I remember telling them “where’s the nearest bar, I need a drink!” They informed me it was after 9:00 pm and all the bars were closed. “WTF!!! Where the hell am I!”)

I adore the series and Courtney & Pat relationship is really the best part. Again it very much grounded the world so all the cosmic staff adventures don’t seem silly.

3 Likes

Hi @ralphsix!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: Thanks for joining in!

Yes! That is a good mystery :mag_right:

I love your call out to Courtney and Mary! They are fun to read. I enjoy how Johns writes the relationships in this series. There is so much heart, it’s easy for me to connect to the characters.

4 Likes

Hi! @DeSade-acolyte

Yes! Great callout. The culture shock is so real. I was raised in Los Angeles, so I completely understand your story! (Thanks for sharing :slight_smile: )

:blue_heart: :sparkles: Well said! The story has a great balance.

3 Likes

Issue 2

The school has a lot of problems! The principal drinks oil, kids are abducted and turned into green, evil-doers, and now we’ve got an art teacher who is a villain, aptly named “Paintball”. :laughing: This is a fun read.

Also, this whole page made me laugh.

3 Likes

Issue 3

She took “mean-girl” to a new level - plot twist!

Fun moments with Pat and Courtney!

These two are hilarious :laughing:

3 Likes

Finally got around to reading these first few issues and I’m ready to report on my experience so far.

Yes first time reading this series.

I think there are a lot of supporting characters al least by issue 4 that I’m curious about. I think Mary is interesting because she gave her a new name and Courtney was like that doesn’t work for me. I’m also curious about Shiv because of what her plan is when she finally get this staff that will create so much more havoc.

Some of my favorite moments from these issues are

Stargirl and S.T.I.P.E. flying around

Courtney finding Pat’s hidden cave

Stargirl finding some bug spray

Looking forward to the next few issues.

4 Likes

I love how the first issues have so much to pique our curiosity! I’m looking forward to hearing what you think as the story progresses :smiley:

Great panels! Thank you for sharing. The bug spray made me laugh out loud.

3 Likes

@JLWWSM, I think the major villain for Stargirl in my opinion is Shiv. Those two seem to fight each other alot. And the Paintball villain is pretty cool also.:slightly_smiling_face::star2:

4 Likes

A little late by one week one but I think I’m good.

1. this was my first time reading it and I have to say it was great I wish it was longer. I ended up binging the whole thing before I found this but I’ll keep it the first 4 and 0.

2. Supporting characters I have to say Pats been my favorite. His banter with Stargirl is great and his history with the jsa has me curious because I haven’t read much of them besides the COIE stuff.

3. Panels I have to say there was a lot and are showcased here already. The banter has been my favorite. Hope they have that in the show. But here’s one fun 0 that gave me a laugh.

3 Likes

Wonder if they’ll pop up in the show at some point.

2 Likes

Hi @NYJt3

You are right on time!

It is very bingeable!

Glad to hear it! Pat is awesome. I’m really excited to see him in the show.

:laughing: Great panel! I laughed too.

Thanks for joining in! We’re opening spoiler discussion more of the issues (issues 0-9) in less than 2 hours. :smiley:

2 Likes

We’ll find out soon! I’d love to see Shiv in the show :smiley:

3 Likes

Issue 4

Loved how it tricked us to think the Marvel family was playing the basketball game and winning.

Solomon Grundy - Get him Pat!

I’d like to learn more about Doctor Occult.

I liked this issue a lot. It had youthful exuberance, defiance, the Marvel family was fun to see.

Next up: Young Justice in issue 5!

4 Likes
  1. This is my first time focusing on Stargirl but I have seen S.T.R.I.P.E. in other issues.
  2. Most curious to see where they take the Marvels. Was really excited to see them in #4 because I really enjoyed the Shazam movie. Feels like they aren’t going to last long in the run but I would be over the moon if they appeared in the Stargirl DCU show.
  3. The first panel is from #0 just because of how funny the pop culture reference appears to me.
    The second panel is from #0 again just because I feel like a lot of villains would say the same about some of the superhero names that trickle across the multiverse. I mean Star-Spangled Kid?! Really?
    The third panel is seeing the Marvels play basketball (I know, they are dreaming) but that would have been awesome to see them go Space Jam style on Blue Valley High.

Going to take a break and then jump on the next section for this week. Now that I’m caught up. Just finished the Brightest Day Saga. Woo

All the best.

1 Like

I totally agree on the second panel. Just gives a look on all the different characters that would be obscure to some and one of the dudes looks like Where’s Waldo. Haha.

1 Like
  1. This is a tough question because everything just blends together nicely. Issue 5 with Young Justice was so much fun to read, here are the super youngins looking for a male Star-kid and are surprised she’s a chick. Together they solve a mystery (transitioning into issue 6). It’s funny how two of the most stubborn characters were the first to turn into aliens.
  2. Favorite moments: Issue 6: Courtney actually listens to Stripes after he demands that she doesn’t work with young justice. I was surprised she didn’t argue with him more about this.
    Courtney kicks her high school peer/arch enemy’s butt by making it onto the team and in a fight.
    Issue 8: The panel of the Justice League coming to the rescue is awesome and hilarious.
2 Likes
  1. My favorite of this bunch has to be 8. All this build up of a big unbeatable crisis villain that I didn’t know so it thought it was going to be something big just for it to be quick and easy. The entire DCU showing up for just nothing. The was hilarious.

2. 5/6 the YJ crossover was great. Just a lot of fun. The alien invasion and the whole thing was just fun.

7 it would be the fight with shiv was nice but somethings fishy with the janitor there.

9 the flashback of nice was nice made me more curious about the seven soldiers. And a nice bat appearance.

But as always the relationships between Stargirl and pat grows but now the twist of his son there.

1 Like

Totally agree!

Hi and welcome! @JackNapier2138

1 Like

It is a tough question! I like your description of it: “blends together nicely.” I enjoyed their reaction when they realized she’s a lady and not man. :popcorn: :smiley: Those types of moment never get old for me!

Total boss move! :clap:

Great pick!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts these issues !

:laughing:

So much fun! I was grinning through the whole thing.

Yes! What could be going on with the janitor :thinking:. I love when stories leave little hints of things to watch for.

I want to learn more about the seven soldiers. The twist with the son takes everything to a new level!

Thanks for sharing more of your thoughts!

1 Like