DCU Book Club-Epics: STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-) Issues 0-14, May 6 - May 24

Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. cover

“Teenaged Courtney Whitmore becomes the new Star-Spangled Kid after learning of her stepdad’s heroic past.”

Greetings and welcome to DCU Book Club - Epics! dcubc-epics hosts the reading and discussion of complete series.

DCU’s original series, Stargirl :stars:, debuts on DCU on Monday, May 18, 2020. To celebrate, we are reading Stargirl’s debut solo story, Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-)! If you’ve never read this story, now’s a great time to read-along. If you’ve read it in the past, now’s a great time for a re-read.

:spiral_calendar: From Wednesday, May 6, 2020Sunday, May 24, 2020, we will read 5 issues per week of :blue_book: Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. (1999-) :blue_book:.

:sparkles: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Follow the reading and discussion schedule below. Reply your thoughts, reactions, and answers to discussion questions as you read the story.

• If your comments are issue-specific, add the issue number in your comment.

• :traffic_light: Spoilers are welcome, but please refrain from spoiling issues AHEAD of the discussion schedule below - OR - use the Blur Spoiler function if you’re ahead of schedule.

• Have fun discussing and reacting to the book with the community!

:loudspeaker: “Go, Blue Valley!!!” :sparkles: Our Spoiler discussion begins NOW!

Wednesday, May 6, 2020Tuesday, May 12, 2020

:books: READ & DISCUSS ISSUES 0-4

1. Is this your first time reading Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.?

2. Which supporting character are you most curious about so far?

3. Share your favorite panels and moments!

Wednesday, May 13, 2020Tuesday, May 19, 2020

:books: READ & DISCUSS ISSUES 5-9

1. What was your favorite issue from this week’s reading (issues 5-9) and what made it stand out you?

2. Share your favorite panels and moments!

Wednesday, May 20, 2020Sunday, May 24, 2020

:books: READ & DISCUSS ISSUES 10-14

1. What was the most memorable moment to you in this series?

2. Share your favorite panels and moments!

3. What moments from the comic do you hope to see adapted in the Stargirl TV series?

Longer reads don’t fit your schedule? Check out our weekly dcubc tag, which highlights a story arc from a variety of characters every week.

Thanks for dropping by! I hope you join this EPIC adventure. Happy Reading :stars:

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

6 Likes

Thank goodness - I saw this on the Events graphic and thought I’d missed it!

1 Like

Hi @ralphsix! The event starts today :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s about time Stargirl Got the EPICS treatment!

2 Likes

Awesome was wondering when the next book club epic was going to be.

1 Like

I can’t wait to answer this! I’ll be back after recharging my tablet!:grinning::star2:

1 Like

Right on! We’re going to dig into each issue!

Whoohoo! At this time, I try to host about one epic per quarter (four per year). Glad to hear the excitement :partying_face:

2 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

I’m ready to make my report @JLWWSM! :grinning:

1. I read it for the first time last year, I was suprise how good the series was.
  2. Courtney’s stepfather, Pat. It was interesting to see a former hero trys to start a new life and never told his new wife and stepdaughter about his past.
  3. My most favorite I think in issue 3 or four we see the poor robot Stripe sitting down and said,“You don’t like me do you?” And Stargirl said, “Isn’t that obvious?” The poor guy try so hard to be a good stepdad. I thought that little moment was funny.
    I hope they put the little scene into a tv show.:slightly_smiling_face: That’s it for now.
2 Likes

Pat is such an interesting character. I’m stoked to see his adaptation in the show.

The dynamic between Courtney and Pat is so entertaining!

Thanks for kicking us off @Lincolnfan78 ! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Awesome! This is a series I’ve been meaning to try out for a while, looking forward to cracking into it. :smiley:

3 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

I got into the series and forgot to participate haha

1. This is my first time reading Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. It’s a fun read.
  2. I am really curious about Mary’s role. Courtney and her seem to have clicked. Mary also witnessed Courtney in her outfit.
  3. My favorite moments have been Courtney and Pat’s interactions. It’s becoming a hate/love relationship. One minute they are bickering then they fight side by side or she is on his back flying. Then they go back to bickering.
4 Likes

Welcome @ScarletSpeedster21!

Glad you’re enjoying it :smiley:

Yes - Mary was such a fun addition to the story.

Same!

So glad to hear your thoughts on this series! Thanks for discussing it with us.

2 Likes

Issue 0

This issue has a lot of heart and history! I like that we get a glimpse of fiesty, rebellious Courtney and her relationship with her Stepdad.

Family Drama Alert :rotating_light: :

This is a gorgeous page:

And this is just :rofl: Ohhhh, the struggle of teens and parents!

4 Likes

Issue 1

Courtney’s having a terrible first day at her new school. Tripped by the mean girl so that she spilled tomato sauce stains on the principle’s shirt. But on the plus side she defeated a bully, which won her a friend. I like Courtney’s spunky attitude.

Weird (awesome) stuff:

• Two brothers were abducted on campus by green monsters
  • Principal is drinking oil.

Mean girl alert!!!

:rofl: “I improved it”. These two are consistently fun to watch in their interactions.

What are your thoughts on issues 0-4?

3 Likes

Issue #0:

Interesting introduction. Makes sense to introduce them first with the then-popular Sharman. Already Courtney shows to be a cool character – both Jack and Pat are trying to treat her as a sidekick and she’s just not having it! Funny, considering how she was created, I didn’t expect to be quite as rebellious.

Favorite moment of the issue: Besides the tattoo part (hope that becomes canon), the great equalizer.

4 Likes

Ha! I love this description. It’s so on point!

I hope to see the tattoo part in the TV series as well.

That is a great panel! I loved the different color stars and the art really captures the power from her leg swing.

2 Likes

Yes, surprisingly. It’s a series I’ve long been aware of and wanted to read “some day,” especially being a Geoff Johns fan; I’ve just never quite gotten around to it, so thank you for the prodding.

The missing father that Mom refuses to talk about…there’s has to be something strange going on there, right?

I know I’m echoing what has already been called out, however that groin kick was classic. I also enjoyed the relationship between Courtney and Mary. Johns did a good job writing those parts.

3 Likes