Favorite western characters?
Jonah Hex
The Vigilante
Bat Lash
Ohiyesa “Pow Wow” Smith
The Trigger Twins
Nighthawk
and Johnny Thunder
All these great characters need to be better represented on this app. The artwork on these features alone is absolutely stunning.

4 Likes

Just finished Jonah Hex #40 “The Rainmaker” by Fleisher and Spiegel, September 1980. In the last couple of months, I have flown through his All-Star Western run and now I am knee-deep in his ongoing. One of the best "mainstream’ comics ever!

4 Likes

Don’t know if DC owns the rights. Some reports say they bought all the characters Dick Giordano created for Charlton. If true, that would include his setting Judomaster and Tiger in the old west as Gunmaster and Bullet. Also, Black Fury, King of the Wild Stallions. Both of those features have been included in lists of Public Domain characters but then so have many of the Quality and Fawcett characters and I think DC would give them an argument over that.

DCs first original character way back in More Fun Comics was actually a modern day cowboy in the 1910s: Jack Woods. I believe one storyline even had him delivering some horses to the allies during WWI. If James Robinson or Geoff Johns actually cared about DCs Golden Age they could very well have an aging Woods meet the JSA. But they probably won’t because the character is too obscure.

4 Likes

@moonknightrider2.98991: Obscure characters, when put into the hands of accomplished writers can blossom and become important participants in super-hero universe. Witness what Mark Waid did with Quicksilver, a forgotten speedster from Quality Comics.
I wonder if all those years ago, Jonah Hex scribe Michael Fleisher was aware of Jack Woods from More Fun comics?
After all, Fleisher did pen The Original Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes.

2 Likes

I know knight hawk and jhoony quik

4 Likes

Giving this thread a bump with a classic Bat Lash cover.

5 Likes

Love it, awesome cover! :smiley:

2 Likes

Truthfully, both DC and those other guys need to reinvent the Wheel style show using their western heroes using faithful but less predjudicial versions of their classic western characters.

Not silly updates of the 90’s or whatever.

2 Likes

I believe DC has the rights to all Charlton characters but Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, where all they had was first option.

2 Likes

No, @MisfitCMJ. Every source I have seen agrees that Paul Levitz, then the publisher of DC, bought the Action Heroes, and only the Action Heroes, as a favor to his longtime friend Dick Giordano. In fact, the person who bought the rest of Charlton was an idealist and believed in creators rights. He gave the creators first refusal rights to their characters. That’s how Ditko ended up with his Static character and why Byrne was able to publish Doomsday+1 independently.
Also, both Yang and the Cheyanne Kid have been reprinted since in other publications.
Personally, I feel it was a missed opportunity for DC. Especially several years later when the Vertigo imprint debuted. Offbeat series like Doomsday+1 or the Prankster would have fit right in with what early Vertigo was doing. Or series like Wander, the Alien or the Private War of Captain Schultz.
Also, assuming Charlton retained the copyright, always questionable with the shady and criminal past of Charlton’s founder, they owned most of the Fox characters. Can you imagine what DC might have done with the Bouncer or Stardust if they had decided to use them.

2 Likes

It was definitely a missed opportunity. Charlton published a lot of interesting titles, and DC could have done so much with them. I would have liked to have seen what DC could have done with Gunmaster or Cheyenne Kid.

1 Like