šŸ¤ DC WesternšŸŽ

Okay, I have a question for yā€™all. Would you count Tomahawk as a Western character?

My own two cents it that I never have. Tomahawk is set during the Revolutionary War and east of the Mississippi at that. I always thought of Westerns as being west of the Mississippi and set shortly before, during, or after the Civil War. I tend to think of everything before that as a separate genre (ā€œPioneer,ā€ I guess you could call it).

4 Likes

So is Oregon Trail Western or Pioneer?

3 Likes

As I recall, Oregon Trail is set in the 1840s, which isnā€™t that long before the Civil War (depending on the year about 20 years at most, so I think I would count that more as Western.

3 Likes

It is set in 1848. Granted I had one game where we were stuck on the trail until May 1849, and in some versions you can pick different years.

2 Likes

I say it is definitely a Western then!

2 Likes

Cow-girl Wonder Woman! WOW!!

2 Likes

DC has so many wonderful western characters whose stories of courage, exploration, family and tolerance need to be told. When super-heroes were downplayed in the fifties, SF, Horror, Romance, and Westerns kept the industry afloat until Julie Schwartz, Lee and Kirby swooped in to save the day with their revivals of the ā€œcapes and cowlsā€.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I canā€™t believe it has been almost a year since anyone posted to this thread! Anyway, I just thought I would ask who everyoneā€™s favorite Western DC characters are.

I havenā€™t gotten to read any of the Golden Age/1950s DC Western stuff, so my favorite characters are a bit newer. For me it would be Jonah Hex and Bat Lash. I also like Pow Wow Smith, although I only know him from his stories published after 1971.

3 Likes

Jonah Hex is easily my fave.

I did recently read the James Robinson Vigilante mini-series from 1995 and would love to see more stories with that version of Vigilante.

5 Likes

Vigilante and Hawkman (Nighthawk).

5 Likes

Thankyou @mercurie80 @chintzybeatnik & @MatthewHecht for reviving this thread, canā€™t believe it was almost a year since itā€™s last post. :cowboy_hat_face: Maybe I should go back to reading Jonah Hex & Batlash.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got to get around to finally reading my Weird Western Tales: Jonah Hex hardcover I bought.

3 Likes

I used to have this issue of Worldā€™s Finest, where the Super Sons (not Jon and Damian, but rather Clark, Jr. and Bruce, Jr. - it was the 70ā€™s, folks) stumbled into a ghost town where Clark lost his powers and they were being hunted by a trio of killers straight from the Old West.
WF 242

6 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s at least a little bit patterned after Clint Eastwood.

2 Likes

One thing I wish would happen is that we would get to see more live-action appearances of DCā€™s Western heroes. Okay, Jonah had his own movie and appeared in episodes of Legends of Tomorrow, but I donā€™t think any of the others have appeared in live-action TV shows or movies. I would have to look up, but I seem to recall there was a fictional Nighthawk and Cinnamon movie referenced on Arrow. And there is a character in Legends of Tomorrow who was apparently inspired by Cinnamon, but seems to be a different character.

3 Likes

Iā€™d really love to see them try again with a Jonah Hex movie that really leans into the Weird West but with nods the other DC Western Heroes.

Basically let Joe Lansdale script it, and let Thomas Jane play him in live-action in a reunion of the amazing DC Showcase: Jonah Hex short:

hex

3 Likes

I just found this thread and love the old DC Westerns. Just extended my DC Infinite hoping to find some of the really great 60ā€™s All Star Western. No luck. My favorite was Johnny Thunder, a really great series I believe was drawn by Gil Kane. Sigh.

5 Likes

I am hoping they will get the Western comic books digitalized at some point. Unfortunately, I know they probably arenā€™t a high priority for DC, so it might be a while!

4 Likes

I get that reprinting the old Western and War comics is super niche but itā€™s still disappointing that we have a small amount of Jonah Hex and Sgt. Rock in the DCUI library.

5 Likes