šŸ¤ DC WesternšŸŽ

:cowboy_hat_face: Howdy partner, I reckon you wanted to know whatā€™s this thread is about. Well Iā€™ll tell you, itā€™s about all things western that take place in DC Universe in the 19 century.
The 2 characters I know so well are Bat Lash & Jonah Hex!
Iā€™m not going to have these guys duel it out in a poll, chances are Hex would win.
So I would like to talk about their comics and animation appearance and in Hexā€™s case, his movie.
So saddle up and letā€™s get startedā€¦
The comic I would recommend reading isā€¦

The artstyle by John Serevin is so beautiful, and the story is well written. I think itā€™s worth reading.
Got a favorite Western story or a character I didnā€™t mention, please leave a comment. Donā€™t let this thread ride off to the sunset! :cowboy_hat_face::racehorse:

14 Likes

I recently read that Bat-Lash mini series awhile back on here, it really was good origin story for Bat-Lash.

One of my favorite western storyā€™s witch isnā€™t a comic at all, also its both a western and not a western at the same time.

Is the novel called DC Universe: Trail of Time by Jeff Mariotte, this is what introduced me to most of the western heroes.

In fact the only reason I picked this up was cause Hex was a main hero in it, and I wanted to read something with him in it, since I had recently just seen him in the Justice league Cartoon at the time.

The Novel is about Clark Kent living in a world were pretty much all heroes are powerless or donā€™t exist, because of magic done by three evil wizards that changed history.

So itā€™s up to Clark Kent, The Phantom Strange, Etrion and Four Legends of the West to fix the DC timeline. This novel really made me like bat-lash a lot, and it also introduced me to El-Diablo, Scaplehunter, Johnny Thunder. This Novel is what really got me in to the old west heroes.

I think it really neat to see Superman has part of an Old West posse to hunt some time changeing wizards.

6 Likes

Right now Iā€™m reading Jonah Hex (2010) issue #1, Iā€™m planing on trying to read the whole series. Iā€™m looking forward to it!:cowboy_hat_face:
And Thankyou so much for your comment @RootBeerMaster! I sure wouldā€™ve like to read DC Universe: Trail Of Time. :grinning:

6 Likes

Outside of Jonah Hex (who I love), I have to admit Iā€™m not real familiar with DCā€™s Western characters. I have always wanted to read everything Bat Lash, as the idea always fascinated me. I wish DC would start digitalizing some of the older Western titles (Western Comics) and so on.

5 Likes

I agree! Today I found couple of western series that I didnā€™t even know that it existed! So I made a request for it.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Jonah Hex is part of a vast and varied cast of western characters that DC needs to tap with new series and collected editions.

2 Likes

If there had been a Jonah Hex movie back in 60s or 70s, I think Clint Eastwood wouldā€™ve been perfect for the role!:cowboy_hat_face::racehorse:

7 Likes

The best western hero, Nighthawk

:00_hawkman1:

4 Likes

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-4/76c4b235-6f89-4ea8-afeb-acbe4941639a/
Bruce Wayne (memory wiped) vs. Johna Hex.
https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/justice-riders-1/680c9079-708a-462f-b0aa-3d1fa3c802a6/
I have yet to read it, but then you have the western era elseworld tale: Justice Riders, a western era Justice League.

3 Likes

Did you know that a 1966 Batman villian name Shame (play by Cliff Robertson) was actually based on a western character of a movie name Shane? :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Alright, I looked up Justice Riders and Iā€™m convinced. Iā€™m definitely reading this ASAP.

6 Likes

Justice Riders looks fun! I will have to check it out.

I really wish DC would get back into producing Western comics. They could revive some of their characters going back to the late Golden Age.

4 Likes

Cool topic. Very Interested to see where it goes. I know Iā€™ll be seeing whatā€™s on hear as far as western comics. I have some Jonah Hex comics but havenā€™t read many others.

2 Likes

YAY! Thankyou @Shayera.Hol, @mercurie80 & @willeagle23.70656, for bringing this thread back! I was worry it wouldā€™ve been a flop.:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I really wish DC would publish an Omnibus (preferably more than one) of some of its old Western characters. As I said, Iā€™ve never gotten to read any of the Golden Age stuff or stuff from the Fifties!

4 Likes

Hey @mercurie80, great idea! Iā€™ve added this to our omnibus request list for consideration by the team. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

There are a few Nighthawk comics, and since he is a iteration of Hawkman, he occasionally gets his own issues in the series.

3 Likes

Did you know that Roy Rogers a famous Country Singer guess star in the episode of Wonder Woman? Heā€™s in the episode called "The Bushwackers.":cowboy_hat_face:

Hereā€™s his famous song heā€™s known for, Happy Trails To You. :cowboy_hat_face::racehorse:

5 Likes

1st season episode if Iā€™m not mistaken. Really good episode too.
And on another note I added Bat Lash to my list on here. Noticed not a lot of Jonah Hex on here though.
I dont own many western comics but I do have a 4 issue limited series of ā€˜The Rawhide Kidā€™ from 1985 from the other guys and I have about 50 Jonah Hex comics which includes the 18 issues of ā€˜Hexā€™ which I really liked but isnā€™t western. But among my other Jonah Hex comics is 2 number 1ā€™s!!! The 2006 #1 AND the 1977 #1!!! I have a lot of holes in both collections so would love to see them on here. I also want to find Jonah Hex Showcase Vol. 1 but hard to find at a good price.

3 Likes