DC Universe v. Marvel Unlimited v. ComiXology

I’m just glad I was keeping track of my reading in a spreadsheet, otherwise the new Marvel update would have been really annoying. I am reading new stuff and some 80’s stuff. It still seems to have my reading list, but it is difficult to navigate. I am not going to go through and check off as read the thousands of comics I have read since I joined in 2012. This actually happened once before where I lost my reading history. I recall checking off boxes to mark them as read, but that was when I was using my computer to read.

Anyway, I’ll give them a chance to clean things up and make it more functional. Right now it is pretty clunky to get around, and as has been said in this thread earlier, it still marks me as having read nothing.

3 Likes

There’s a little red bar under the cover image, figured that out just yesterday.

1 Like

To mark it as read? I don’t see it.

1 Like

It’s still being affected by bugs unfortunately. Even titles I’ve marked after the update are losing the red bar.

1 Like

Interesting that this is now getting mainstream attention.

No mention of DCUI in the article, but we all know which comics app is king when it comes to custom user list creation.

5 Likes

I have a strong dislike for the new MU app. It is just clunkier to use. The only benefit that they added was the ability to download more than 12 issues.

3 Likes

@wvp Thanks for your post! For better or worse, I’ve had to make a choice between Marvel and DC. A few years ago, I realized I had to curb my monthly comics spending and also manage my comics “consumption time” as it is very limited. I chose to primarily limit my purchases of comics and fan followings (online) to DC comics as they were my “first love”. That doesn’t mean I won’t occasionally pick up a Spider-Man or other Marvel character comic every rare now and then. But for me, I’ve cast my lot primarily with DC and let the chips fall where they may! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

They updated Marvel Unlimited, I really love it now. They have a interesting new reading style call Infinity Comics where you keep scrolling down to the end to read comics.
They also have points feature, now with browsing I can see a picture of a comic, so now it’s in a same boat with DC Universe Infinite. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve gone from being able to quickly scan the list of all Marvel Unlimited series and have it quickly show which part of the alphabet I was in even, to now hunting 5 minutes scrolling trying to come up with a section of the alphabet in their listing.
DCUI has the same quirk unfortunately.

Too bad both apps don’t have a grid view or a listing view with no graphics.

When I know the exact name of the series I can search but when I don’t, I prefer to browse quickly.

4 Likes

They put a new update out that removes the iOS status bar while reading. Finally get to read again!

3 Likes

Just saw that last night. It actually kept track of everything I’ve been reading since the first update, so that was a pleasant surprise. Should be done King in Black tonight.

3 Likes