DC Universe v. Marvel Unlimited v. ComiXology

I love comic books an have since I first picked up an issue of Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heros (The Legionnaires who Haunted Superboy) in the mid 70’s. I have just re-upped my yearly subscription to all 3 digital sites and believe that when you take the best story tellers and pair them with the best artists and you end up with a comic book (quote taken from a DC documentary). I still go to my local comic store to get my pull list-but do thoroughly enjoy my digital subscriptions and wondered how many other subscribe to multiple sites and what you like most/least about them.

For DC Universe-the movies, comics and Community sites are superb-especially the Community Sites (Marvel and ComiXology could learn something here). Marvel Unlimited allows me to catch up on story lines I missed during the years I walked away from comics and allowed me to fall in love with the current run of Daredevil and the Thor run from Marvel Unlimited (DC could learn something with have freaking great these titles are…character development can sell-not only in Batman stories). ComiXology has comics by Vertigo, Dark Horse, Image and independents
with wonderful full runs of Sandman, V for Vertigo, Divinity, etc.

If I had to only choose one to subscribe to…it would be difficult, but I’ve always been a DC first fan. Fortunately, I don’t have to make that choice.

6 Likes

Oh, wow, you got all 3?! Is that you Scrooge McDuck? lol

Have you read Rachel Rising on Comixology Unlimited? I recommend it if you are into the occult and humor. Moore draws gorgeous people.

4 Likes

Well, personally I’d put my weight behind Strangers in Paradise, but unfortunately the run is only partially complete on Unlimited. Rachel Rising isn’t bad, though.

3 Likes

Rachel Rising got a little too weird for me at the end but I really wanted to read Strangers in Paradise too. It is a daunting endeavor though…

2 Likes

Will give it a read. Reading The Last Temptation by Gaimen right now

1 Like

I’ve got all 3 as well. I got into digital via Comixology purchases but subscribed to MU as soon as it became available. Then CU and finally DCU. This way all 3 bases are covered - DC @ DCU, Marvel @ MU, & other publishers @ CU.

Saves me a ton in digital purchases & there are more choices than I could ever read within the 3. I love the concept!

5 Likes

I can’t believe we have so many options available to us. Imagine going back in time and telling yourself you not only can read as many comics as you want on one device, but you’d have multiple places filled with thousands upon thousands of comics to choose from?

We’re living the dream!

8 Likes

A “virtual” library sounded like science fiction for sure

5 Likes

If you would have told me as a young teen that I could read the Golden Age Comics and earlier Silver Age for the costs of $10 a month-I would have fainted.

6 Likes

I subscribe to all three services as well and see lots of the same writers and artists on all three platforms at the same time.

Now I spend a year what I used to spend a month on new comics… with a slight delay in when I read them.

5 Likes

The services really do pay for themselves. I still have my pull list at my favorite Comic Book store (The Deep in Huntsville, AL) and pick up some comics that look good while browsing–but I am constantly on one of the services as well catching up on what I’ve missed, overlooked or just didn’t know about.

4 Likes

I get Marvel Unlimited also, but not ComiXology. I agree with you on the current run of Daredevil, very entertaining.

3 Likes

For a while I had marvel unlimited, my only problem with them is browsing through comics, I see the title, great, but it would be nice if it show the comic cover on the series, sometime it would refresh my memory or make it look interesting to read.
DC Universe Infinite really made a smart move in my opinion, showing comic book cover while browsing, that really help alot.
As for ComiXology, I don’t think I’ve ever tried that.
In a way DC Universe Infinite is a winner in my book.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Scott Synder just signed a deal for,like, 8 different series, all part of COMIXOLOGY. The new books they put up, by solid creators, make the service totally worth it. As a subscriber to all three, its hard to pick a favorite, I mean, they all have LOADS funnybooks I can read anywhere…cept direct sunlight, i guess. Luckily, I’m still an old print reader, and all is well.

2 Likes

Wait… does Comixology now put out it’s own books?

3 Likes

Comixology Originals.

I’m enjoying Jeff Lemire’s Snow Angels there currently.

It reminds me of how DCUI sometimes has digital firsts that appear on DC Universe Infinite at the very same moment they’re first published.

3 Likes

Try HAILSTONE and STONESTAR, both very entertaining. And the new one, ASTONISHING TIMES is worth a read.

2 Likes

They are getting better and better. I ignored the first batch about a year ago, but more and more of these have a real value!

1 Like

fprtsR3

Member of DC Unlimited since 2016

Member of Marvel Unlimited since 2016

Member of Comixology Unlimited since 2021

I’ve always been a major DC and Marvel fanatic, and have read many titles from both companies since I was a little Batman. But recently, I’ve been venturing out into Comixology for other titles to check out. Espeically since I’ve been an enormous Walking Dead fan for years, so I like to read that on Comixology

DCU - Great interface, amazing comics, love the link to the Movies/Shows, and the DCUi Community are a phenomenal group of people, that really makes you feel like you’re not alone in the comic book world, and it’s so much fun talking to everyone on here. I love it. Hearing everyone’s opinions, laughing at things people say, and POLLS, POLLS, POLLS. :sunglasses:
And I don’t even mind when it rarely hangs up, and dear old Alfred tells me there seems to be an issue.

MU - Love the comics, and enjoy the Marvel Insider Activities, Rewards, etc. But Marvel could really learn from DC, by offering an Online Community as well. Not to offend anyone at all, but I have never been a FaceBook, Twitter, FaceTwitter, or whatever the recent social media app currently is. :rofl: (Not sure why, just never really got into it). So, I’m sure Marvel has a big presence on FB, Twitter, etc… but I’m just not going to be there. So they could really use an MU-based Community as well.

Comixology - Love the variety. Plain and simple.

My 10-year-old self would literally pass out if I went back in time to tell myself about these technologies. Not that I’m complaining, but I used to have to beg mom to take me to the one comic book store in town, which was extremely small, hot, musty, and you basically had to get on your knees to dig through decrepit, old boxes to search for one comic to buy. Then I’d take it home and read it a million times over, before the next month, (or opportunity that mom would take me), to go back and try to get another one.
Now, the older me would Love to be able to go into that old musty cramped store again, but sadly it’s gone. Guess some people thought it was more important to add the millionth freaking gas station that wasn’t needed; since there’s like one every other block.

My major issue is I wish I could Speed Read.

giphy (4)
tenor (1)

5 Likes

AMEN-I thouroughly enjoy all 3 services, but NO ONE else does community like DC!

2 Likes