DC Universe Infinite Launch Release Notes - January 21st, 2021

I’ve noted this request to be sent to the higher-ups!

2 Likes

Hi @HombreDeMaiz - I can understand your point of view, these are very valid statements and we appreciate you letting us know your thoughts and feelings about the recent changes. I’ve noted your feedback and will share it with the rest of the team.

1 Like

I would like to see something along the lines of “You might like” where when you’re looking at a particular series and you’ve read all of the issues in that series (for instance, “Hellblazer”), a suggestion of another series in a similar vein (“Preacher”, “Madame Xanadu”), or other series where the main character appears would be recommended. This would be especially useful for lesser-known characters like “Jonni Thunder” who appears in the later issues of the Infinity Inc series.

I use a similar feature when I’m looking for a new novel or audiobook. It’s allowed me to find some hidden gems that otherwise I might never have even thought to try.

4 Likes

That’s a good suggestion, @bigby65.78080! I’ll put that right on the list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pardon me, but I feel a rant coming on:

I’ve identified another pretty major problem/annoyance with the new app. Every time that I turn my phone (Samsung Galaxy A20/Android Version 10) from landscape to portrait and back again when using the comic reader, the phone’s status-and-navigation-bar overlay pops up, covering a significant portion of the comic. I then have to either double tap the phone’s screen to get it to go away, or else turn it three times instead of once (landscape to portrait to landscape to portrait). This used to happen about once every three or four pages on the old app, and was pretty darn annoying then, but it is now happening on Every. Single. Page. And I tend to need to turn my phone on every single page, especially since I mainly read Silver and Bronze Age comics, which have those long vertical panels on pretty much every single page that necessitate portrait-mode viewing on a phone. I think you can imagine how annoying it is for me to have this overlay pop up and then have to double tap my phone’s screen or turn my phone three times on every single page to get it to go away when I’m just trying to enjoy reading a darn comic. I’m going to have to install a third-party immersive mode app to fix this. I shouldn’t have to do that. Immersive mode should have been built in to the DC Universe Infinite app from the beginning.

A couple of other problems with the comic reader that I’ve identified:

• The “Browse” page, which shows thumbnail images of every page of a comic and allows you to navigate easily to any page, will not load the image for every page. This is pretty consistent across all comics, but which pages don’t load seems to change (I’ve seen it mainly happening with pages 19-21). This is another new problem that wasn’t present on the old app.

• The last page of every comic is still waaaaay too sensitive about bringing up the “Up Next”/end card page. Swiping the final page of a comic even one millimeter to the left will bring up the end card, and it’s safe to say that simply swiping a page up will inevitably also swipe a page at least a millimeter left every time. So I usually have to tap back from the end card page about 3 or 4 times on every single comic I read. You can imagine how annoying that is as well (especially since the last page of a comic often tends to be one of the most dramatic; kinda ruins the moment). I end up literally having to drag a page to the right as I swipe it up, kind of scooping it up the screen, just to prevent the end card from showing up. This is an OLD problem that was present on the old app. With the improvements to the comic reader that were touted, I thought that surely this would have been fixed in the Infinite update. But no. No it wasn’t.

I just have to say it: with all of the problems listed above, and the backwards/reverse user lists issue that I previously reported (which is the biggest problem of them all, as far as I’m concerned, and which still hasn’t been fixed), the new DC Universe Infinite app is functionally much worse than the old DC Universe app. I don’t understand how this happened. The Infinite update was supposed to improve the app, not break it almost to the point of unusability. It’s gotten so bad that I actively don’t want to use the app anymore, and have come to almost dread using it because of all of the annoyances and problems, both major and minor, that I know I’m going to encounter when I just want to read a comic. It’s to the point that I am seriously starting to think about cancelling my subscription. I love DC, I love the comics, but the app itself is so atrocious and so unpleasant to use that it completely ruins the comic reading experience, turning it into a pain when it should be a pleasure. Simply put: the app needs to be fixed in a major way, and fast.

(P.S. I am very surprised that I am the only person reporting these problems. I can’t be the only one experiencing these issues, can I? Can anyone else please corroborate my reports above so that I don’t just sound like a crazy ranting person? Well, I’ll still sound like a crazy ranting person, but at least I’d be ranting about something legitimate…)

(P.P.S. Thank you soooo much to the developers for disabling usage of the old 1.56 version of the app and forcing an update to the broken version 3.0. I was intending on continuing to use 1.56 until [unless?] these problems are solved, but it looks like that’s out of the question. Can’t wait to have to swipe all the way to the bottom of my 200-issue comic list that I’m about to start on every time I want to read a comic. Thanks. Thanks guys. 'Preciate it.)

1 Like

Hey Kookie,

Thanks for taking the time to write this out, it’s appreciated!

I’ve added a report to our list for the lack of an immersive mode in the app. I’m sorry to hear about the frustration and general inconvenience that is causing for your comic reading experience.

I’ve not seen another report for missing comic pages in the Browse page. I assume that this is in app? Will do some testing on my devices and report it to the devs for you!

I’ve also made a report asking the dev team to make it a little easier to read the final page of a comic without getting very familiar with the end card. I can understand that that would be a little frustrating, especially during an epic moment.

Regarding your reverse order lists - Can I just double check that you’ve tried resetting the filter on them / trying other filter/sort options to get them to display in order? If yes, let me know and I’ll get a report in for that to get them to display in the order you initially intended!

As far as I’m aware, the dev team forced an update to 3.0 for a variety of reasons. The main one being that that version of the app was still DCU rather than DCUI. We’re trying to limit the amount of confusion about the new service as much as we can and this was an easy way to aid with that.

I’m sorry that your DCU Infinite experience has been less than satisfactory. Please bear with us whilst we work on improvements. As I’m sure you saw on launch day/weekend, we had a very high volume of reports, requests and feedback and it’s been a little tough getting that info through triage so we know what to focus on. We are definitely hearing your reports though, and we’re working on it!

3 Likes

Heya @KookieSuperApe!

Let me first say that the number of details and specifics in your comments are AMAZING and we appreciate them SO much! Also, I see no crazy ranting person - just an incredible member who loves this service and wants to help make it better and for that, I thank you a million times over.

I would ask you one favor - would you please send these same reports over to our CS Team? While we send all of this info to the dev team, having the information come from two places is really helpful. Honestly, you can basically, just copy/paste your same message - not trying to make you type any more than you already do. I mean why fix something that is already working beautifully?

Thank you again for all that you have done and please let us know if there’s anything else that you find. It is with the assistance of members like you that we will continue to make this service better and better all the time!

Please don’t ever hesitate to reach out if you ever have any questions or concerns!

PPB :green_heart: :green_heart:

3 Likes

Where is the sort button? I don’t see it. Thanks

1 Like

What device are you using, @Bivrak? When I check on my iOS devices the sort button is on a white bar near the bottom of the comics display, when I’m viewing the issues. On the left side is the “Filter button”, and on the right is the “Sort” button.

2 Likes

My apologies if this is the wrong forum to note this, but the past few days I keep getting mysteriously kicked out of the app and have to re-sign in when I’m simply in Community going from one thread to the next. I am on an Android tablet Samsung 10.4 in.

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know about that, @Don-El! I’m sorry you keep getting kicked out. I’ve passed this along so hopefully it shouldn’t be a problem for much longer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your responses, @Alec.Holland and @Pretty.Poison.Bombshell. I did let Customer Service know about the reverse/backwards user lists a few days ago and was told that they were working on a correction. However, a few days after that, a 3.0.1 update was pushed out that only fixed a registration/login crash, which added to my frustration yesterday.

@Alec.Holland, the only filter/sort options for user lists are “Last Created” and “A-Z”, which are the same two that were available in the old DC Universe app. However, they worked correctly in the old app. The “Last Created” sort option listed the issues in the order that you added them to the list; they now show in reverse order from how you added them (so, last issue of a series at the top of the list, etc.). Changing the filters, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, nothing fixes this. Something got screwed up in the coding of the new app and needs to get un-screwed-up.

BTW, I tried DC Universe Infinite with the third-party immersive mode app yesterday, and let me tell you, it was soooooo much better without the status-and-navigation overlay popping up on every single page. Just this one small change improved my DC Universe Infinite experience immeasurably. I hope that immersive mode gets coded into the app officially ASAP. Highly recommended. It didn’t fix the other problems I mentioned, but it went a little way towards making things better.

2 Likes

Hey again, @KookieSuperApe!

Thanks so much for your detailed response - I can’t tell you how helpful they are. I’m going to tag my counter-part, @Applejack, so she can see everything you’ve been going through as well.

While we can’t promise anything, we can definitely do everything possible to get these things corrected.

2 Likes

Can we please get a patch soon to add sorting by publication to lists? It’s the bare minimum and would make managing it so much easier. Right now it’s so bad I actively avoid using it. We can’t even drag stuff into the right order, turning everything you add into a confusing mess. It would also look much better, less confusing and more consistent to how everything else is shown by having it display just the cover page. Not sure why it shows two pages right now.

2 Likes

Hi @NightVenger - We appreciate your feedback, we’ve heard this quite a bit. I’ll add your report and send it up to the team. Let us know if you need anything else.

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I tried to filter comics by writer for Judd Winick and no results came up. Then I realized his name is spelled wrong. It is spelled as Judd Winnick.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the report! I double checked and you’re right! I’ve reported this to the dev team and they’ll take a look into it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re still taking suggestions, then add another request for SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE.

That’ll cover Wesley Dodd and Dian Belmont.

As for Kieran Marshall…

A new age of terror demands a new Sandman to quell its nightmares. This disturbing new miniseries follows the final days of Wesley Dodds and his lifelong love Dian Belmont as they encounter a harrowing fate while traveling in Afghanistan circa 1997. Ten years later, with American troops on the ground in that country, wartime photojournalist Kieran Marshall is forced to take on the mantle of Wesley’s former alter-ego, the terrifying crimefighter known as The Sandman. A dark and relevant tale that will appeal to new readers as well as fans of the classic Vertigo series, SLEEP OF REASON questions what it means to be human when confronted with evil. Marshall is a man in search of a career-making interview with master-terrorist Masad. When he confronts Masad face-to-face, he learns to his horror that this terrorist can teach him more about himself than he ever wanted to know. Becoming the new Sandman will be the only way Kieran can save his own life — but, possibly, at the cost of his humanity.

A polite request for SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE: SLEEP OF REASON.

4 Likes

This has been noted and added to our requests, thanks so much!

3 Likes

This happens to me too, except not just on the last page. EVERY page is sensitive, so I have to drag to the right EVERY time I swipe up, so that the comic doesn’t jump ahead to the next page. It’s an annoying problem that’s been around since the beginning, so the reason I stopped reporting it is because I just gave up hope that it would ever be fixed.

For example, read a comic on DC Universe, then read a comic on Marvel Unlimited right after. There’s a BIG difference. The DCU reader feels way more slippery, whereas on Marvel Unlimited, it never goes to the next page unless you actually swipe. Alas.

2 Likes