DC Universe Book Club Week 1 Live: Action Comics #866-870

I think the workplace dress code at the daily planet is a trip. Lois showing off her midsection at her nine to five was hilarious.

1 Like

I literally laughed out loud with Clarkā€™s confusion over Catā€™s plastique. Well paced to make that land right. I think Supes is a hard character to write and few do it this well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only found the opportunity toll read the first two issues so far, but the art is amazing and itā€™s a great take on the character of Brainiac. Wasnā€™t there a DC Animated Movie based on this story?

1 Like

12 DC comic fanatics participated in the first comic book club DC Universe session, plus a few others only in Nathanā€™s smooth Discord rooms!

Sorry Iā€™m late to the discussion, I just got around to reading the issues this morning. Overall, great story. Braniac was used really well and if you havenā€™t watched the Krypton series yet, well letā€™s just say it takes a lot of cues from this depiction of Braniac. For the Clark and Cat moments, that was Clark being a pure gentleman IMHO. The use of Supergirl in this arc was fantastic. I really like when writers lean in to the fact that she remembers Krypton and its destruction. It really shows how and why she is different from Clark and how her stories can be unique to other Superman stories. With the Braniac/Krypton interactions, I like how Braniac thought humans had nothing to offer because he was only focusing on information. He didnā€™t take in our hearts/emotions. That is why Superman was able to find the extra strength to defeat Braniac. His love for Lois gave him that final ā€œMind over Matterā€ push. Finally, Iā€™ll just say the art was beautiful.

3 Likes

Jay, never too late.

I found a puzzling Brainiac did have emotions in the story, that was an interesting twist.

@Jay

I heard Brainiac was in Krypton but you saying they took cues from this book piques my interest. Howā€™s the show overall? I love Supes but Iā€™ve always been a bigger fan of his Kansas roots. One of the things I love in this book is his family dynamic.

@villainsinpants

Arenā€™t they?! The cover of the first issue (866) is so freaking cool.

1 Like

I find it so interesting that a book this recent can become such an iconic story. I feel that Supergirl and Brainiac will always be tied together because of this book. It gives a different dimension to both of them. and donā€™t get me started on the art. Action Comics #869 is my #1 Superman cover of alltime. That cover shows every aspect of Clarkā€™s world in one still image and its the happiness of that moment that makes me just feel better about the world.

1 Like

I find it so interesting that a book this recent can become such an iconic story. I feel that Supergirl and Brainiac will always be tied together because of this book. It gives a different dimension to both of them. and donā€™t get me started on the art. Action Comics #869 is my #1 Superman cover of alltime. That cover shows every aspect of Clarkā€™s world in one still image and its the happiness of that moment that makes me just feel better about the world.

@dwedge

I agree with you 100% that cover is incredible.

1 Like

14 DC Fanatics now

1 Like

@MattMcDonald the show is a very different take on a ā€œcomic bookā€ show with a more political thriller vibe. And there are a lot of classic Superman characters given the opportunity to be fleshed out more than they have on screen before. Braniacā€™s design is fantastic, too.

Here are my days late thoughts.

What I liked: This is a great Brainiac story because it ties this major Superman villain into Kryptonian history without changing the essentials of that history. As others have said, it was a nice touch to tie him into Supergirlsā€™ back story. It also makes Brainiac seem that much more formidable and alien. I liked Johnā€™s modern interpretations of Cat Grant and Steve Lombard. I wonder what happened to them in the course of Superman stories from that period. Lastly, I so much liked that Geoff Johns understood Superman and how he operates and that understanding permeated the whole story. He didnā€™t try to make him into something heā€™s not.

What I didnā€™t like: I thought the art , while telling the story effectively, was a little stiff and I found the artistsā€™s constant referencing of Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidderā€™s faces for his Kal and Lois a little distracting.

1 Like

15 DC Comic Book fanatics!

Hope you donā€™t mind me bumping with my thoughts.

Overall, this is a really good story and definitely worthy of being called a modern classic Superman story. Iā€™ve had the thought that if they want something to base the next Superman movie on and something to introduce a Supergirl series, this would be a perfect story to adapt.

Superman and all the characters around him are portrayed very well, from the big guys like Lois, the Kents, and Supergirl, to the side characters like Steve Lombard. The one character thatā€™s kind of iffy to me is Cat Grant, where while they do lip service to the characterā€™s past and imply that her personality is a mask to cover her trauma and loss (much like Clark plays the bumbling ineffectual nice guy to hide his powers and abilities), but she still comes across as very shallow and basically there for boob jokes. Not her finest hour, to be sure.

Another great thing is how they handle Brainiac, specifically his history and continuity. One of Geoff Johnsā€™ biggest strengths is how heā€™s able to balance and make continuity make sense when some characters have had multiple or even contradictory iterations, and this is one of those. However, this book also has a lot of one of Johnsā€™ weakest attributes, and that his dialogue. So often it feels like these characters are less talking and more explaining to each other what their motivations are, and this is especially true in the Superman vs Brainiac scenes.

The only other criticism I would give to it is, like someone said, the somewhat cliffhanger nature of the end. While the stuff with Kandor is quickly addressed and continued on during their ā€œNew Kryptonā€ era, I would have loved to have had an epilogue that not only further leads up to that, but to have a silent issue that shows how the death of Pa Kent affects the whole Super-clan.

I feel like Iā€™ve been more critical than praising, but I still really do like this story.

1 Like

When you are rereadign discussions and realize you didnā€™t read the whole thingā€¦

1 Like