DC Universe Book Club Week 1 Live: Action Comics #866-870

I think that was chalked down to Lois Lane, and her belief for Supes that gave him extra strength. Idk… I was curious about that too.

1 Like

I’ve never understood the whole speech giving energy thing

1 Like

@Don-El: I’d be one of those 20 or 30 people myself. This one is for certain a forgotten gem of a story. I’ll be back in a bit to do more of a post but I need to leave for a moment. Be back in a few.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t find that part overly believable either Don-El but I agree with Yazov57 that it could be down to Lois and her belief in him.

1 Like

In any case I think this was a great story and I really love Brainiac as a villain. He’s not used enough in my opinion. I had also forgotten how much fun some of the stories prior to the reboot were so it was good to read this one. Also Supergirl and Cat’s interaction was had me laughing. The best part of the story, for me at least, though was when Clark went back home and had a talk with Pa Kent. It made me realize both how much I miss the character (and Ma too) and also how much I miss my own father who died a decade ago of cancer. The interaction there just really touched me in an unexpected way and I was so thankful for that because it reminded me of all the good times we had together as I was growing up.

1 Like

I’m liking this little Club. Matt be sure to tell us later what next week’s reading assignment will be. I noticed they have the Run of rRebels 94 here that features another Brainiac , not sure if that’s of Interest anyone.

1 Like

Wow you’ll never believe it. Brainiac himself just stop by my home office. He said to tell everyone that he thinks the tools here in DC Universe Community for doing a book club are extremely primitive. he said we will all be very happy once he shrinks us down and puts us in a bottle. he will provide far Superior tools for our community. Good stuff brainy

2 Likes

I think the only thing that annoyed me is the story left it on such a cliffhanger and I wanted to keep reading. The drawing is amazing. I will say Cat was…interesting. But I could see myself coming back to this story from time to time

2 Likes

I don’t typically read a lot of Superman, but I was pleasantly surprised with this story. Geoff Johns gets a lot of acclaim, and I read his “Batman Earth One” Graphic novel with Gary Frank, ( outstanding art) but personally I wasn’t that impressed. However, I enjoyed this little arc, it had heart, about fathers and sons. This story also had some humor that made me chuckle as I read it. I have to mention “Brainiac” this is an excellent villain. Why in the heck they cannot come up with a decent “Superman” movie without rehashing what has already been done baffles me. A standout for me was when Clark used his heat vision on the horseshoe to write “Worlds Greatest Dad.” The addition of “Supergirl” was cool, they need to introduce her into the DCEU like they did in this arc. Shout out to “MattMcDonald” for picking an excellent arc for our first discussion, looking forward to see what you post for next week.:+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

Don-El : maybe I can add a little transparency. He busted loose when the love of his life (Lois) was about to be destroyed, Brainiac said that our culture was useless “What could this vacuous world possibly provide you”? Brainiac exclaimed.

1 Like

We need more readers, or maybe this app needs more subscribers? No doubt we will get more on October 12th.

Some have asked whether Lois and Clark were married at the time of this story, and they were. I believe the marriage stayed in place until Flashpoint ushered in the New 52, which was about three years after this story. Can anyone join in with this book club? This story arc was a great first choice.

1 Like

I enjoyed seeing these versions of the Daily Planet supporting cast. I am familiar with them in other media, but I had never seen Lombard and Cat Grant like this. That was really fun. I do like the way Brainiac looks when he’s cocooned in his ship. That is a really cool design. It also looked pretty awesome when Superman gets cocooned in a similar fashion. I must say, the story arc started off much stronger than it finished. I have never really cared for Pa Kent in any iteration of Superman, be it live action, animation, or comics. That story point is very repetitive to me.

1 Like

I’m super glad so many of you enjoyed the book. Can we please acknowledge the Cat/Clark interaction regarding her “surgery” such a great Clark Kent moment.

3 Likes

@don-el No need to thank me I actually had a voting thread up last Sunday and this was voted for! It doesn’t hurt that it is a personal favorite. I’ll have a voting thread up on Sunday. Look for it around Noon EST. I won’t be late this time! Btw thank you for stepping in today and posting the thread! I appreciate it.

1 Like

The West Coast phenomena as a real thing I suspect we’re going to get at least two or three more book club people stopping by here between now and you know 3 or 4 hours from now so right now it’s about 7:30 Eastern 4:30 Pacific. I noticed I get lots of visitors on my eBay store usually like 3 am or so in the morning Eastern and it’s typically people in California that are winding down for the night and picking up some comics, that kind of thing.

@Don-El
Just saw your post on the other thread. You want to shoot to have next weeks discussion next Saturday? That work for me. Maybe post the discussion around Noon Pacific time?

1 Like

Let’s do it. Maybe some new comic series will show up this weekend, maybe even wait till Monday to announce what comic books we’re going to read.

I just counted how many signed up and how many showed so far. 25 expressed interest, 10 have shown so far which is pretty good for an event frankly. but like I say, between now and midnight Edt I’m sure a few more will come in and make comments!

This week’s book club is still open anyone else that wanted to comment on The Geoff Johns story that we’ve been reviewing. Also, any of the book club Illuminati , check your emails.

Holy crap cities in glass bottles are the best.

2 Likes