DC Showcase's Batman: Death in the Family Interactive Movie

Well I can’t wait to se the execution of this.

1 Like

In truth, the real Death in the Family was interactive. People voted for it.

4 Likes

Syfy Wire announced more details:

• Like Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam, this release will also include the DC Showcase short films that relased with recent DC animated movies, including "Sgt Rock, “Death,” “Adam Strange,” and “Phantom Stranger.”

• There will be non-interactive versions of the movie on the disc (and possibly what we’ll see digitally), each titled: “Under the Red Hood: Reloaded,” “Jason Todd’s Rebellion,” “Robin’s Revenge,” and “Red Hood’s Reckoning.”

• The whole project is written, directed and produced by Brian Vietti, one of the co-creators of the Young Justice animated series.

• There are talks of making more “interactive movies” like this in the future.

• Finally, the disc and digital release will be on October 13, and the disc version of the movie will have an additional five minutes more than the digital (likely to do with the choice mechanic).

• For those who don’t know or remember how it works with DCU, the animated releases come out three months after physical release, so that means that as it is, the digital version of the movie will be on this service will be sometime in January.

Oh, and take a look at this cool cover art:

7 Likes

Ooh… I’d be excited for that…

1 Like

The interactive aspect? Not interested.

The “movie” itself and the Showcase shorts? Very interested, and eager to see it/them.

1 Like

This is a really cool idea, why is this the first time I’ve heard about it? Oh right, because they cancelled DC Daily and no one told us about how cool this would be.

Totally agree. My partner and I were disappointed the moment he spoke in the trailer :sweat_smile: Definitely still excited for this movie and hoping this new guy can bring life to the character in the same fashion that made Ackles stand out. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Sign me up!!! Under the red hood is my favorite Batman animated movie, so it will be nice to come back to it in a new, original way. Plus, Fans got to choose in the original death in the family. So, its kind of a callback to the original.

2 Likes

where do we go to vote

1 Like

Thank you for this info, I don’t have blu-ray so I was a bit worried that it wouldn’t come to DCU , but now I feel relieved and even more excited than I initially was. :blush:

2 Likes

I’m pretty stoked considering all the extras announced for the physical release. I’m interested in how many interactive choices & outcomes are actually contained in the story.

1 Like

This has my attention!

I’ve never done an interactive movie before but I like the concept, can’t wait to give it a try!

1 Like

I’m curious how this will work on DCU :thinking: Will they just put up all the different “branches” as non-interactive content?

It was a little trippy seeing them asking for a vote on Todd’s death… again. Sometimes DC repeating themselves works.

I can imagine it would be similar to the interactive movies on Netflix, like Bandersnatch for example. If that’'s the case, it brings something new to DCU.

2 Likes

What I’m wondering is if DCU has/will have the functionality/software necessary for the choose-your-own-adventure thing.

3 Likes

I hope so.

2 Likes

I can’t wait!

OMG! Ahhhhh I got sooo excited the other morning when I saw this. This is DC getting it right. It can’t come soon enough. I pulled out my old copy of Starlins Death in the Family and watched the Trilogy of movies Under TRH and Son of Bat and B&R. Bringing in the interactivity to the DCU with this arc is sooo perfect. I’m dating myself, but I can’t remember how many times I asked my dad if I could call in and save robin. Knowing now how cool RH turned out to be I don’t think I’ll be doing the same now. BUT what will happen if he lives? What would that do to storyline? Will DC make a new arc where he lives and Damien Wayne never becomes Robin? Instead of a conflicted Robin we get the version of Damien that is evil? Would he go after Batman and end him, thus thrusting Jason to take up the cowl and exact his revenge? Tune in next week. Same Bat Time. Same Bat Chanel.