DC Round Robin 2022: The Choice is Yours! *ROUND 1 VOTING CLOSED*

What would the piece added to the second round be, then?

5 Likes

Maybe a one page creator interview about the concept, like you find in the back of comics sometimes?

10 Likes

I share the concerns of those who are frustrated with the “tease” of this format, but am still excited for the process. I’m more concerned with how much work the creative teams put in to these pitches without anything getting published (and thus implicitly not getting paid) - is that typical for the process without a bracket, or unique to the increased volume of detail we get each round? It’s fun/awesome to see things develop, but only adds to the frustration to things that don’t come to fruition.

ANYWAY, I’m still hoping that most of these get to see the light of day in some format, eventually, and of course, the ones I’m most excited for are up against each other in round 1. Most of these actually flipped my title-instinct when I read the summary.

The Changeling vs Nine Lives – I love me some Thanagarian shenanigans, but Wildcat needs more page time. (And while the distrusted memories is always a fun path, the long-lost teenager sounds like a ridiculous mechanism to get there. Not my jam.) I don’t think I’ve ever come across the concept that Wildcat has multiple lives before, so I’m definitely curious to see how that is shaped.

Grand Solution vs Vacation From Hell - normally I’d hit the Etrigan button immediately, but another Constantine vs the end of days story? Not when the Question in question is Renee! The title hints at some serious topics being covered in a modern context, but even if that’s a coincidence, I’m much more excited to see Question Montoya back.

Suicide Squad Dark vs Justice League Redacted - again, I’m not a huge JL fan and I’d normally vote for anything with Dark in the title, but Vampire Batman and Earth 13 is just so meh for me. Would much rather see Waller’s Earth 1 occult team. So with Green Arrow as the lead for JLR and Johnny Sorrow as the primary threat, this one is probably one of my top picks.

Fourth World Problems vs The Speed of Fear - I mean, this has got to be the best pun title I’ve seen in a while. Darkseid seeking the Firestorm Matrix? That sounds so much more interesting than a Speed Ring and Wally West space travelling. (Now, if he were buddying up with Roy and Jay, I’d be all over it, but Thrawn and Parallax… meh.)

When Canaries Cry vs The Light at The End of Forever - These both sound interesting, but Secret Agent DD? Oh, hell yeah.

Ghost Tour From Hell vs The Metamorphosis - As much as I want a story that might lead us to Maxine Baker leading her own series, I’ve got my Etrigan book, with Deadman and Madame Xanadu. You could tell me nothing else and I’d be decided.

The Birth Conspiracy vs Dark Carrot - I’m utterly disappointed in humanity today. How is anyone not voting for Captain Carrot and His Best Friend Darkseid?! This is why comics were invented.

The Man of Tomorrow vs Cyber Gods - both are kind of bland sounding, but I’m team Klarion until the end of time. A Gizmo and Klarion team up sounds a bit too much like Ann Nocenti’s take on Klarion, but I’m still willing to give it a chance. Anything has got to be better than Connor Kent journey of self discovery.

9 Likes

I’m hoping for the Question too! One of my favorite DC characters! Vic and Renee need more stories as the Questions!

10 Likes

Robins was outselling most DC titles that do not feature Batman. Per ICv2.com.

10 Likes

I could see that. Though now that I think about it, the covers are made for the second round already, aren’t they? So that would already be a pretty significant added element that you could perhaps justify the creative teams being listed in the first round. I dunno. I appreciate that they sprung for title design in the first round this time.

8 Likes

We didn’t plan for that, but I like the idea. I’ll definitely be sending out the original badge to everyone that participates again! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

What do you mean by premium chat room?

7 Likes

I just want any Firestorm.

6 Likes

You and I understand each other, good sir.

7 Likes

I’m so glad there is no standard Bat-family book that is going to (obviously) win this year. :smirk:

For now I’m team The Questions. We need more Renee Montoya. One of my favorite characters.

11 Likes

You and I will never truly understand each other, good sir.

8 Likes

Isn’t Renee technically a Bat-character, though?

6 Likes

What’s funny is that I’d buy most of these titles, and if it’s digital first I’d for sure read all of them. Kind of a bummer that DC has brought back the bracket system of creating a new title.

8 Likes

Haha, life is complicated, good sir.

7 Likes

I’m more concerned with how much work the creative teams put in to these pitches without anything getting published (and thus implicitly not getting paid) - is that typical for the process without a bracket, or unique to the increased volume of detail we get each round?

This is a really good point, and it’s one I think really needs to be addressed. The round robin tournament is essentially asking us to pit creative’s livelihoods against each other.

8 Likes

AHHHHH! you got me :wink:

5 Likes

Absolutely! Beyond the fact that this should allow for characters who don’t get much attention to have a bigger spotlight, the same should also be true of the creators behind the books. It’s really disheartening to think of all the writers and artists who could potentially get their big break from this, only to have it be snatched away because their pitch lost a popularity contest

6 Likes

Canary :00_black_canary: The Questions, Suicide Squad DARK :eyes: Ghost Tour From Hell!!! :ghost: :raised_hands: Go, Go, Go! :purple_heart:
I want them all.

Ps. Welcome to the community @mrodrigo5150.43499! :smile:

15 Likes

Well I understand the community is divided in non members and members of DCUI, so by premium I was meaning the DCUI members. Poor phrasing on my part.

7 Likes